Massive problem with palm muting in Shreddage III (Serpent)

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Help! I just upgraded from Shreddage II Srp to the new Serpent version, and it's been completely useless for me due to the palm muting.

Since I produce thrash metal tracks, using a variety of loose and tight palm muting is extremely important, and doing so in Shreddage II was extremely easy and sounded great. I was able to utilize very light palm mutes for a light chug, and that Train of Consequences type tightness, and everything in between.

Now in Shreddage III... no matter what velocity settings I use, no matter what DAW I use, no matter what I enable or disable, the palm mutes remain ULTRA TIGHT to the point of producing pure noise. I went back to Shreddage II and copied the exact settings I used over to Shreddage III, I made sure everything was exact down to the last digit, and I get the exact same problem. Surely I'm missing something.

Copying settings over from S2 won't work because S3 engine is completely rewritten from scratch.

In your Serpent install, do you see a "Serpent Style - Metal Rhythm" snapshot? That was added in a recent update to get S3 PMs closer to S2 behavior. If not, an update should be in your account, I think.

Yes, the "Metal Rhythm" style should allow you to match S2 pretty much exactly 1:1. The same MIDI data won't quite produce the same results because we remapped the palm mutes to be more consistent key-to-key, but the sound will be the same. (We tested it.)
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Thanks! But... I'm not sure exact what that is. Is it a downloadable update/patch? It's also important to know that everything else Shreddege 3 works perfectly, it's just the palm muting which doesn't work. When I said that I copied the settings from Shreddege 2, I was referring to the velocity rules... I always used 60 - 126 on sustain and 1-84 on muting to get the perfect sound, and Shreddege 3 I tried a billion different velocity settings and always get that same choked string sound.

Also if you do velocity splits like that, you should enable Vel Scale for palm mute articulations, so that different PM levels are scaled in the velocity range you have assigned to the articulation.

...yep that fixed 90% of the problem. It sounds amazing now, still a bit scratchy but I can fix that with some adjustments. Thanks for the help!

"Scratchy" sounds like pitched/unpitched noises being played on release, so tweak the timing windows on Advanced page for them.

Hi guys, this is helpful, thanks. I use Serpent too and palm muting tightness is making me cry.

Can you please explain in more detail how can I customize palm muting? Changing the style makes some changes and I can't figure out what they are or how to fine tune them. In S2, you had Palm Mute Tweaks in the Advanced tab, is there something similar in S3? I just want more control. Thanks!

OK, I just discovered another thread where people are discussing palm mutes:
viewtopic.php?f=176&t=522111

I'm experiencing this same issue with Rogue, and selecting the Metal Rhythm style does nothing to make palm mutes work. Can somebody who has solved this issue post the solution? I've had Shreddage III for weeks but haven't been able to use it much due to the prevalence of palm mutes in my tracks.

Thanks in advance!

Rhythm Metal preset should definitely have palm mutes work. How are you NOT getting them to work? Audio and MIDI example welcome.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
EvilDragon wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:39 pm Rhythm Metal preset should definitely have palm mutes work. How are you NOT getting them to work? Audio and MIDI example welcome.
Well..thats what I'd like to know!
mp3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_OM2u ... YfYPqiJAnl (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_OM2u2jGvlwJgorby6-O8BYfYPqiJAnl)
midi: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12T6K- ... pFbPAfjxRS (https://drive.google.com/open?id=12T6K-KQMF3cEyKxILVwks6pFbPAfjxRS)

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 am Image

Also if you do velocity splits like that, you should enable Vel Scale for palm mute articulations, so that different PM levels are scaled in the velocity range you have assigned to the articulation.
Hello, I am new to this forum and I JUST purchased this pack and cannot find the metal rhythm section as described. Mine only has 2 options. One is Solo Leads, and the other is chords. Please help because I want to do some nice heavy palm muting :)

Where did you buy it from? If it's from our site, it should have the snapshot...
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Well, glad it's not just me...

Recently upgraded to Rogue, Jupiter and Serpent. Been tweaking for hours.. following suggestions in this, and other threads. Still not getting close to the results I need.

Priority for this release should have been an immediate, satisfactory "out of the box", chugging Metal experience.. like the first two had. This means three things. Palm mutes, palm mutes.. and palm mutes. Having a single, default, smooth, 'lead' styled patch (with absolutely no velocity muting at all) is just.. confusing.

It's like Electri6ity all over again. Their original presets had all the pre-pick basically turned off.. and everything sounded like a broken piano. Nothing says Brutal Metal, like a drunken Steinway...

Anyway... the important difference, is that Electri6ity lets you get to just about everything under the hood, to tweak. S3 gives a very brief overview and not enough detail for any real deep editing.

Lots of issues.. but the main one for me, right now.. is the release behavior. The immediate cut-off on release, particularly on the 'sustain' articulation.. is, really strange. Just about every articulation should have some form of release setting. The mute articulations are on the right track with the tightness settings though.

Also.. the 'tightness / vel-tight' settings seem backward in how they function. I would expect tighter results at low velocities and have it open up (and lengthen) a bit at higher velocities.

And while I understand your concerns about wanting to sound authentic, and are programming stuff in that direction.. sometimes having functionality and tweakage beyond 'realism', can actually sound more realistic.

I say this, from the perspective of someone who has multi-sampled and programmed velocity layered/zoned DI guitars into various sampler patches over the years.. dating as far back as the mid 80's. (example)

Return to “Impact Soundworks”