Elektron suggestions and/or alternatives

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dangayle wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:13 am
Love it. If I end up with that machine, I’m gonna come to you :)
Cheers..

Another thing the RYTM does is allow both samples and analogue drums/bass on the same channel.

This is just one channel, ie programmed to a single drum pad, of the RYTM mk2. Once again , recorded directly out of the main stereo outs with no processing.
https://instaud.io/3wlQ

You can change both the analogue drum engine sound and the sample engine sound per note. So you can write a monophonic analogue drum line with kicks, hats, snare, off beat bassline, and then use samples over the top doing the rest.

Now multiply that by the 12 pads and you see how powerful this device is.

If you don't need the analogue drum engine then a Model:Samples is pretty much the sample playing part of the RYTM on the cheap.
rob_lee wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:11 am
Not Techno but very cool with the Elektron boxes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKc6XZ9GrJU

:tu:
That's quite beautiful. I need an A4 :)

So here's what I can budget:

Digitakt + Analog Rytm MKII
Digitakt + Digitone + Zoia + Launchpad Pro

You don't need a Digitakt with a RYTM.
The sample engine of the RYTM does 95% of what the Digitakt does.

Was just going to write the same. Digitakt is truly awesome but they would be overlapping quite a bit.
Just an idea. Maybe just get the AR MkII and get a bunch of pedals to resample stuff with.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

For the most part, I never really liked any built in sequencers on instruments. Then years later I finally tried an Elektron machine... it was game over. Now I have a MachineDrum, Rtym, Digitakt, Heat and will probably add an Analog Four before too long. Not without their faults and bugs (like everything else), but absolutely amazing machines overall.

EDIT: And one other consideration for the OP (didn't know if this was an issue or not) out of your listed choices only the Digitakt can be used to sequence other machines. The Rytm and A4 cannot. They can send midi clock for sync, but that's it. If you're staying (almost) entirely within the Elektron world, then that's not so much of an issue.

Pulled the trigger on the Analog Rytm MKII and an Analog Heat MKII from Guitar Center's used site. Got both for the price of a new AR, so I'm pleased with that. Gonna wait until Labor Day to see if I can't find a good deal on a Digitone Keys.

Also found a good deal on a Soundcraft MTK 12-Channel mixer, which I realized I was going to need. Now to buy all the cables.

Then I have to promise my wife I'm done, lol.

Found this video to be inspiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxS_MWQosQQ

I’m not saying that any of them are bad, but if you make techno, you will be disappointed when you come up against the 4 voice polyphony limit of the Analog Four. Personally, I’d go with a RYTM and wait for Waldorf to release the Kyra or go with a Virus TI of some sort. The TI line was huge in techno and has similar tech to Overbridge (Access Control)

Try to keep a bit of cash left over for a good analog mono as well. Excellent options start at $200, but I’d seriously consider a Roland SE-02.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 am I’m not saying that any of them are bad, but if you make techno, you will be disappointed when you come up against the 4 voice polyphony limit of the Analog Four. Personally, I’d go with a RYTM and wait for Waldorf to release the Kyra or go with a Virus TI of some sort. The TI line was huge in techno and has similar tech to Overbridge (Access Control)

Try to keep a bit of cash left over for a good analog mono as well. Excellent options start at $200, but I’d seriously consider a Roland SE-02.
A Virus would be cool. I don't think I'm going to go for the Analog Four. I'm thinking Digitone Keys for synth/fm bass sounds, Analog Rytm MKII for drums and analog bass sounds and Digitakt for misc samples. If I can't make techno with all of that, I can't make techno. Period.

Anyone try the Model:Samples? Seems like the Digitakt, but more accessible and cheaper.

i would swap the digitakt for a deluge, especially since the new firmware 3 is coming soon (more sample manipulation and live looping).

this video is a bit old so is missing a bunch of features theyve added already, but its a good itnro vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZtHX1dEgwg
ImageImageImage

DigiPour wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:34 pm Anyone try the Model:Samples? Seems like the Digitakt, but more accessible and cheaper.
Sold mine a few months back. As I said earlier, it's the very similar to the sample engine in the RYTM. The change sample per step function is a savior of the device as before that update it was a bit naff.

You can only set the sample start/end/loop points in 128 divisions of the sample length. Perfectly fine for short hit/stab samples, bit of a pain when you want to chop up a long vocal.

Allocating samples is a pain, you have to delve in the directories on each sample as it doesn't remember the last sample location.

Reverb is fantastic.

Chance triggers are great fun

Would keep saving for Digitakt unless you really are skint

chaosWyrM wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 pm i would swap the digitakt for a deluge, especially since the new firmware 3 is coming soon (more sample manipulation and live looping).
The Deluge is cool - but I'm not a big fan of the small display.

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 am
chaosWyrM wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 pm i would swap the digitakt for a deluge, especially since the new firmware 3 is coming soon (more sample manipulation and live looping).

/C
thats fair...it is tiny, and doesnt tell you much. however...the reason its tiny and doesnt tell you much is that theres not a whole lot of reason to look at it.

not to mention all the led pads function as a display also...and thats where you spend nearly all your time.
ImageImageImage

Check out Black Box by 1010 music.
Pairs perfectly with any Elektron Machine, but since this is a sampler/midi sequencer, I would go first for an Analog Four Mk2.

chaosWyrM wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:32 am
DrGonzo wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 am

/C
thats fair...it is tiny, and doesnt tell you much. however...the reason its tiny and doesnt tell you much is that theres not a whole lot of reason to look at it.

not to mention all the led pads function as a display also...and thats where you spend nearly all your time.
Yeah, well... there _is_ actually bunch of information that the display is trying to tell you. Waveform names, presets, LFO shapes and lots of other stuff. I don't really mind the size of the display but rather it's being old-school "clock-radio" LED.

But it's not the end of the world. You manage because, as you said, the rest of the UI is pretty flat and easy to navigate through. And you get used to the odd characters and what they mean. But if they would come out with a MkII revision with a more advanced display that shows names, parameter + values etc, I would upgrade in a second.

/C

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”