Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
2177 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:44 am

AnX wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:29 pm
BONES wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 pm
I do a lot of my sound design with my eyes closed.

i forgot to ask you, how are you getting on with that braille synth?
Bumpy...

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
9780 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 am

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 pm
EnGee wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 pm
I think Hive 2 runs on Linux natively. Not sure about Massive X or other NI products (even with using Wine).

I might start purchasing all u-he products including Hive 2. I have only Diva and RePro which run fine within Bitwig inside Ubuntu. I've just installed them and I'm enjoying the experience so far :D with all my hardware working except Maschine :(
The u-he synths (and plugins in general) are so well rounded. For overall refinement and plugin infrastructure they are unmatched.

They run on Linux
Have a fantastic browser
Excellent GUI's that can be skinned and resized
Lots of innovative synth functions
Support MPE, Poly AT, various midi controllers like breath etc.
Great Midi Learn support
Microtuning support
Excellent long term plugin support
Simple Serial#
Support Midi Program Change
Undo/Redo
Useful refinements like mousewheel support, double click reset, arrow keys, Etc.
Which U-He synth supports MPE?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
9780 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:19 am

BONES wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 pm
zerocrossing wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:01 pm
Exactly. And when they didn’t have it in synths like the DX series, they mostly just used presets and smarter people do patch design. :lol: I joke, but having all the MSEGs visible in DX7 V is da bom.
Completely pointless to me. The first thing I do when I fire up Go2 is change the envelope displays from graphical to knobs. Seeing them does absolutely nothing for my ability to use them. Never has and I can't imagine it ever will. I get it with very complex MSEGs but not with simple ADSR envelopes or even AHDSR or 6 point envelopes.
I guess it depends on the types of sounds that you make. A lot of my work involves long, evolving and complex pads, so while seeing the shape of the EG is nice, seeing where the sound is in relation to that EG compared to where other EGs are in the grand scheme of things is very useful. Using your ears is all well and good, but sometimes I have elements that are silent unless evoked via some form of expression.

Anyway, this is all moot. They are clearly working on implementing some sort of envelope display, or why would they have included any graphic at all? You’re right, it’s not necessary, but useful, IMO. I could drive without my car’s back up camera and side collision indicators, but you know what? They kind of kick ass.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
15958 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 am

zerocrossing wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 pm
EnGee wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 pm
I think Hive 2 runs on Linux natively. Not sure about Massive X or other NI products (even with using Wine).

I might start purchasing all u-he products including Hive 2. I have only Diva and RePro which run fine within Bitwig inside Ubuntu. I've just installed them and I'm enjoying the experience so far :D with all my hardware working except Maschine :(
The u-he synths (and plugins in general) are so well rounded. For overall refinement and plugin infrastructure they are unmatched.

They run on Linux
Have a fantastic browser
Excellent GUI's that can be skinned and resized
Lots of innovative synth functions
Support MPE, Poly AT, various midi controllers like breath etc.
Great Midi Learn support
Microtuning support
Excellent long term plugin support
Simple Serial#
Support Midi Program Change
Undo/Redo
Useful refinements like mousewheel support, double click reset, arrow keys, Etc.
Which U-He synth supports MPE?
All of them except Zebra (Z3 will)

realtrance
KVRist
157 posts since 10 Aug, 2006

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:55 pm

I actually find visuals distracting, and also often sound design with my eyes closed. There are subtleties in aural perception you lose when being distracted by other senses, this is proven by science.

I play that way, too.

Eyeballs are overrated.

User avatar
EnGee
KVRAF
5387 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Actually who needs eyes!! They are distracting, let's poke them :troll:
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Main : Ubuntu Linux with Bitwig and some u-he synths

machinesworking
KVRAF
1669 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 am
zerocrossing wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 pm
EnGee wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 pm
I think Hive 2 runs on Linux natively. Not sure about Massive X or other NI products (even with using Wine).

I might start purchasing all u-he products including Hive 2. I have only Diva and RePro which run fine within Bitwig inside Ubuntu. I've just installed them and I'm enjoying the experience so far :D with all my hardware working except Maschine :(
The u-he synths (and plugins in general) are so well rounded. For overall refinement and plugin infrastructure they are unmatched.

They run on Linux
Have a fantastic browser
Excellent GUI's that can be skinned and resized
Lots of innovative synth functions
Support MPE, Poly AT, various midi controllers like breath etc.
Great Midi Learn support
Microtuning support
Excellent long term plugin support
Simple Serial#
Support Midi Program Change
Undo/Redo
Useful refinements like mousewheel support, double click reset, arrow keys, Etc.
Which U-He synth supports MPE?
All of them except Zebra (Z3 will)
Have to mention that it's 4 out of 5, Lift is not supported.
Cue folks chiming in saying lift is too difficult, so useless etc.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
15958 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm
pdxindy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 am
All of them except Zebra (Z3 will)
Have to mention that it's 4 out of 5, Lift is not supported.
Cue folks chiming in saying lift is too difficult, so useless etc.
It's not useless... but even if it is just pitch and pressure (and velocity obviously), I am happy enough. Add in Timbre and the capability is very satisfying.

For me, Pitch is the most important... because it allows pitch slides and also a very intuitive vibrato with control over depth and speed with the single finger.

User avatar
Urs
u-he
23801 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Lift requires specialized voice architectures, or one can use it only for envelope release timing. Because, which virtual control voltage is Lift supposed to assume between NoteOn and NoteOff? Does it jump from zero? Or does it share virtual cables with Velocity and make anything jump that's controlled by Velocity? Does it start a new envelope which is useless for anyone who doesn't have release velocity?

If I had a concept that

- works, i.e. has logical integrity, even in the context of the synths we make
- doesn't complicate things too much
- doesn't leave people behind who don't have hardware with release velocity

I'd put it on our ToDo list instantly 8)

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
15958 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 am

Urs wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:23 pm
Lift requires specialized voice architectures, or one can use it only for envelope release timing. Because, which virtual control voltage is Lift supposed to assume between NoteOn and NoteOff? Does it jump from zero? Or does it share virtual cables with Velocity and make anything jump that's controlled by Velocity? Does it start a new envelope which is useless for anyone who doesn't have release velocity?

If I had a concept that

- works, i.e. has logical integrity, even in the context of the synths we make
- doesn't complicate things too much
- doesn't leave people behind who don't have hardware with release velocity

I'd put it on our ToDo list instantly 8)
I haven't explored it much. The examples that come to mind are controlling envelope release timing.

Massive X has an LFO option to trigger on note off. I was making use of it while testing the synth and I was thinking Lift would be useful to control the LFO depth and or speed.

I'm not remembering u-he synths having modulators that can be triggered by note off. Would be a nice addition. I immediately found the MX LFO triggered on Note Off a useful option. Then Lift becomes more meaningful than just Env release timing.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
48642 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 am

EnGee wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 pm
Actually who needs eyes!! They are distracting, let's poke them :troll:
tea spoons work well for popping out an eyeball :)

Stefken
KVRian
1471 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 am

vurt wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 am
EnGee wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 pm
Actually who needs eyes!! They are distracting, let's poke them :troll:
tea spoons work well for popping out an eyeball :)
That's how Henry does it. And he's a pro. :)

User avatar
EnGee
KVRAF
5387 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:55 am

Stefken wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 am
vurt wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 am
EnGee wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 pm
Actually who needs eyes!! They are distracting, let's poke them :troll:
tea spoons work well for popping out an eyeball :)
That's how Henry does it. And he's a pro. :)
Who is Henry? Henry the VIII?
Any YouTube instructions are welcome! :tu:
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Main : Ubuntu Linux with Bitwig and some u-he synths

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
2177 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:02 pm

EnGee wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:55 am
Stefken wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 am
vurt wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 am
EnGee wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 pm
Actually who needs eyes!! They are distracting, let's poke them :troll:
tea spoons work well for popping out an eyeball :)
That's how Henry does it. And he's a pro. :)
Who is Henry? Henry the VIII?
Any YouTube instructions are welcome! :tu:
I'm sure Henry VIII would Tudor you if you need help...

NatLife
KVRist
392 posts since 12 Jul, 2004

Re: Massive X or Hive 2. Need an opinion.

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Both :)
sample & preset libraries: https://www.natlifesounds.com
Hive 2, Serum, Massive X, Sylenth1, Thorn, Spire, Dune 3, The Legend, EUROPA, Repro1/5...

Return to “Instruments”