Opinions on IK's amplitude cabs/amps

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's funny about the EVH stuff and "sound like crap" because some of the "isolated stuff" of his DOES sound like crap but HE doesn't if you catch my drift!

Digivolt wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:27 pmI guess you're right and thanks a tonne for that other thread link, I already have guitar rig, just I've never used it so kind of forgot it came with komplete :dog: so I guess I can make do with do that for time being :phones:
I think that's the best decision, especially given that you are currently unsure of what sound you are going for. It's the one I have, although I only use it with virtual guitars at the moment.

Guitar Rig is an excellent set of tools, even if you never plug a guitar into it. Works great as a general multi-effects deck. There are so many ways to easily mix, match and modify the amped sound that it's hard to imagine not getting very close to what you are after, if not hitting it spot on. And there's nothing stopping you from demo'ing Amplitube (Pretty sure they have a free version) et al, which will be better with less gotta-buy-at-crazy-price pressure, and with the benefits of having something you are using with which to reference other products.

Have fun :tu:

Burillo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 pm most of them will have lots of fizz and weird resonances, and the mics are not phase aligned (meaning, moving mics around will sound like crap if they're at different distances from the speaker).
Surely this is a fact of life in setting up mics on a real-world amp? I think it's a bit odd IK doesn't give you the option to send individual outputs to the host as this would give more control over phase alignment, though you can do phase flipping in the software and the DI can be phase aligned. One workaround if you live without DI is just to hard pan the two mics and split the channels in the DAW. But having them automatically phase-aligned would reduce the flexibility (though I guess you could have it as an option).

Being able to play with the phase as a part of the mic alignment is one of those things that can tune a sound. I've also found that when using Amplitube the one thing I rarely do is have both mics going at full pelt. I tend to have an off-axis mic running a lot lower than the on-axis. I'm not sure it's that's Official Best Practice, but it does work for me. The good thing about Amplitube is that it gives that fine-tuned control. The next step up is Blue Cat's Axiom, where you just fiddle with the resonances until you get something good.

@ the OP. Seems to me you think you need one because of the group buy and maybe I’ll see if I can use it in a track when I work out what I’d use it for.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

it may sound a bit pompous but i think ALL guitar amp sims are dismal (bass amp sims not so much but look at the source... ain't a lot to bass) but they are better than nothing. after playing guitar for almost 48 yrs now i think i have a right to my opinion and it is based on experience. nothing beats a real amp be it solid state or tube. cab IR's are another thing entirely. although limited... convolution is pretty accurate. cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Ive had Peavey tube amp, Marshall valvestate and hated those.

Fender2, new British A4 stuff, default free amp and Engl in A4. Mix any newer cabs w older amps, makes better in some cases. Honorable mention is Soldano and Orange.

If you don''t know what you're looking for, Guitar Rig will do fine as you get to know it and the different tones of different amps. For me, because I played a certain kind of tube amp growing up, like Fender Twins and tweed amps, I wasn't satisfied with the Guitar Rig take on those, and Amplitube did it much better imo. I've owned Komplete forever so I'd like to be happy with Guitar Rig but Amplitube just sounded closer to what I wanted for specific types of sounds.

I have to admit though I've heard plenty of examples of Guitar Rig being used with sampled guitars to sound very good. For example this video is just a guitar from the Kontakt factory library going through Guitar Rig, played with a seabord:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSko8vHOf8g

And this one is an Impact Soundworks hollow body through guitar Rig (using a seaboard rise):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXJyCT6zy5k

Both of the above sound great and the expressiveness of the seaboards help focus on just the sound.

Any thoughts on the Darrell pack?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:50 am If you don''t know what you're looking for, Guitar Rig will do fine as you get to know it and the different tones of different amps. For me, because I played a certain kind of tube amp growing up, like Fender Twins and tweed amps, I wasn't satisfied with the Guitar Rig take on those, and Amplitube did it much better imo. I've owned Komplete forever so I'd like to be happy with Guitar Rig but Amplitube just sounded closer to what I wanted for specific types of sounds.
This is why I think that the op is going to be very content with GR5, at least for a while i.e because he is not looking to recreate a specific sound that he already really knows well.

I think there's quite a parallel not only to the synth-world, but just to many other things. For instance, an original synth built from the ground-up will likely get a much easier ride than a synth trying to emulate classic hardware that people have already known for years. For someone going in fresh, sounds can be evaluated at face-value without any 'limiting' frame of reference. Then it just comes down to the Golden Rule (as distinct from the other Golden Rule), i.e If it sounds good, then it's good :tu:

P.S I'm thinking of putting a picture of Parisi in front of my Seaboard. Maybe I can improve my chops by osmosis :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:18 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:50 am If you don''t know what you're looking for, Guitar Rig will do fine as you get to know it and the different tones of different amps. For me, because I played a certain kind of tube amp growing up, like Fender Twins and tweed amps, I wasn't satisfied with the Guitar Rig take on those, and Amplitube did it much better imo. I've owned Komplete forever so I'd like to be happy with Guitar Rig but Amplitube just sounded closer to what I wanted for specific types of sounds.
This is why I think that the op is going to be very content with GR5, at least for a while i.e because he is not looking to recreate a specific sound that he already really knows well.

I think there's quite a parallel not only to the synth-world, but just to many other things. For instance, an original synth built from the ground-up will likely get a much easier ride than a synth trying to emulate classic hardware that people have already known for years. For someone going in fresh, sounds can be evaluated at face-value without any 'limiting' frame of reference. Then it just comes down to the Golden Rule (as distinct from the other Golden Rule), i.e If it sounds good, then it's good :tu:
sure, why not.

try the player OP. its free.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -5-player/
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:34 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:18 pm

sure, why not.

try the player OP. its free.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -5-player/
He already has the full version :shrug:

FWIW, I just started tinkering with the Amplitube stuff on my iPad I hadn't touched in years just to get a feel for whether I like the products or not. I logged into my account on IK and noticed I also have desktop versions of the VSTs. Huh, who knew?

I will see if I have time to do a quick comparison clip of them compared to GR5.
---
update:

heres a clean sound compare between GR5 Jazz Amp and cabinet and Amplitube 3 American Clean tube 1 amp and cabinet. through a regular run of the mill telecaster set in middle position. I dont know if its a fair comparison but thats the only one I was able to see as similar. (Maybe I am wrong).

see if you can tell the difference. everything set at 50% and no effects or reverb. The only thing I did was adjust the master to try to get the volumes almost same.

https://soundcloud.com/telecode101/guitar-clean-test
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

GR5 Jazz Amp is modeled after Roland JC-120, which is solid state. I don't remember what American Clean Tube 1 is but it is a tube amp and not solid state. A more appropriate model to compare would be the Jazz Amp 120. Or maybe the GR5 Twang Reverb against AT American Vintage T.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Fleer wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:16 pm Any thoughts on the Darrell pack?
I'm curious too.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Return to “Effects”