Vsts like Soundcanvas? (GM rack units)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for vsts like Sound canvas. Basically software versions of GM midi rack units.

Another one I came across was this one,
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47840

Are there any others like this you know of? For some reason I enjoy using these sorts of vsts despite how limited they are.

There's a current Roland one. I think there was a legacy official version too.

I love the gaming vibe of the Sound Canvas, that I got the MC-80ex as a deluxe GS music player. Using the sequencer and the built-in SC-88Pro engine is not the easiest thing. For being able to use the Sound Canvas VA within Ableton is a dream come true. Anyone with a cheesy laptop/tablet able to make good music using just that. This is my favorite musician, a legendary SC-88Pro user https://youtu.be/lAXPWpjmAwQ
What unique about the SCVA is that it has the SC-8820 more complete presets, but the SC-88Pro sound character. It was a bit trebly like the module version in the early version. Dunno if it's just me, but I feel like the latest version sounds warmer and fuller which is way more preferable. The GUI is much better than using the module version, but I hope that they will improve it with a better GUI. At least like their old HyperCanvas, not sure why they did a step backward.

I also would love to see the SC-880 "Patch Mode" which is able to layer up to 6 parts. Maybe improved the sound with a hotter output and a warmer vintage sounding converter. Also remove the 15 seconds limitation. The fxs are already very good for such type of plugin.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

The only thing kinda weird about Soundcanvas is the price. $125.00 seems pretty steep for what is essentially (to the average person) a soundfont with some effects. Maybe it's just bias, but I feel like most of the people interested in old hardware like this are either going to buy the hardware used, or aren't the types to spend 125$ on vsts or kontakt libraries.

Dunno how much hyper canvas was (Seems like it's discontinued). Though personally I feel like stuff like this should be $30-40, at most.

I'm not sure if the store version are being updated. But if you are into Roland stuff, the cloud is giving 2 instruments after a year of subscription. I got the D-50 and SH-2 already, which is a very great value. People are debating about the rent-to-own, I'm not too clear about the next chapter as well. Please make sure about it before you jump in. It's not cheap on e-bay, especially the SC-880 and it's not the same convenience as using a plugin.

To me the SCVA is more than just a bunch of soundfonts with fxs, it just has the right vibe. People are still using the DR-202/MC-303, some are even fanatical about it and those sounds are in the plugin. It's also one of the most complete vintage rompler library, from orchestra to ethnic, drums, choir and percussions. To me it's like some kind of a TAL Sample-Playback from the good old Roland. But maybe it's just me, I even want a plugin version of the MT-32, the D-50 that I love the most sounds just too good in comparison :)

Maybe the Sonic Cat stuff ? At least its not abandoned even if you cant say it is really under "active" devellopment :hihi:

http://sonic-cat.com/

If it didn't have to be in the GM format and you like plugins with limitation. Korg Gadget is the most awesome collection for that. The M1 and Wavestation alone worth the price of the admission. There are also tons of basic rompler sounds in Marseille and Glasgow.

crystalmsc wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:00 am To me the SCVA is more than just a bunch of soundfonts with fxs, it just has the right vibe.
Well, that's more or less what I mean. To us, it has the vibe, the cultural significance, etc, but to anyone who doesn't care about that, it's just about as useful as a soundfont. Unlike other romplers, is doesn't really have patches, which are an artform in and of themselves, and have a bit more lasting value.

To me, selling it for 120$ is a bit like selling a digital download of an NES game for 15-30$.
tatanka wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:09 am Maybe the Sonic Cat stuff ? At least its not abandoned even if you cant say it is really under "active" devellopment :hihi:

http://sonic-cat.com
Woah, forgot about Purity. Purity was one of the first few vsts I tried when I started composing. I'll take a look at the other two on there.
crystalmsc wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:51 am If it didn't have to be in the GM format and you like plugins with limitation. Korg Gadget is the most awesome collection for that. The M1 and Wavestation alone worth the price of the admission. There are also tons of basic rompler sounds in Marseille and Glasgow.
Doesn't need to be GM, though what I like about GM is the lack of option overload, and the focus on composition. Patches feel like a much different process to me, and I love them too. (I also try to get my hands on as many of them as possible too). The Roland and Korg stuff is great.

HALion Sonic 3.
Has GM (+). Is as simple as can be, yet still capable of more.

BBFG# wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:35 pm HALion Sonic 3.
Has GM (+). Is as simple as can be, yet still capable of more.
Good choice, it's like a modern Yamaha. If he likes older Yamaha character like the MU series, Xpand!2 can be had for peanuts.

I STILL LIKE Sfz+ with a good soundfont for GM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Check out Steinberg halion sonic 3, one of my favorites for quick demos etc.
It has a GM multi timbral workstation feel to it.

Return to “Instruments”