Analog compressor emulations. What’s your verdict?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
zerocrossing
KVRAF
9780 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 am

Recently I’ve been thinking of maybe augmenting some of my hardware synths with an analog compressor. To be honest, this is one aspect of production that I’ve just sort of ignored. I mean, I’ve not ignored compressors, I’ve just used a couple of T-Racks models that seemed good to me and from there I basically ignored the topic. The prices of the good ones seem to be pretty high when compared to a lot of seemingly more complex gear like synthesizers. Is it worth it? Are some of the emulations nearly as good? Which ones are considered the best?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

TIMT
KVRian
640 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Re: Analog compressor emulations. What’s your verdict?

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 am

Get TrackComp and call it a day.cheap,models are the shit,in a totally different league than T-Racks(though if they revamp them with the tech they did on the Tape Collection i'll be a very happy chappy),covers most basis i.e VCA(G,E series),FET(1176) and optical compression(LA2A)

Other than that Fuse Audios stuff is pretty decent and again doesn't break the bank

I liked Analog Obsession too,but i can't really recommend them in all honesty(nothing to do with the sound that's for sure)
I

perfumer
KVRist
452 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 am

zerocrossing wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 am
Is it worth it?
No.

UnbalancedBeats
KVRist
251 posts since 6 Jun, 2008 from Spain

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 am

Hi!
I like Acustica Audio emulations. These days prices are much more affordable. Nice discounts and local dealer discount codes make things easier.

escalona
KVRist
464 posts since 16 Jan, 2018 from Portland, OR USA

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:12 am

I agree with TIMT and UnbalancedBeats, DMG Trackcomp is just amazing and essential, and Acustica compressors are great as well.

dmbaer
KVRian
1345 posts since 11 Nov, 2009 from Northern CA

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am

TIMT wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 am
T-Racks ... covers most basis i.e VCA(G,E series),FET(1176) and optical compression(LA2A)
Don't forget the fourth category (based on Mu vacuum tube compressors) represented by the 670 and the Vari-Mu plug-ins. IKM has one of their killer-good group buys on right now, so there will be no better time to pick up a pile of plug-ins (at 20 bucks per, or so depending upon your first selection).

The other recommendation would be to get the Nomad Factory Analog Signature pack when its on sale (which is often at Plugivery). These plug-ins sound like crap if you drive them even a little bit too hard. But avoid that and they can add some truly magic warmth to a synth sound, IMO.

badass_billy
KVRist
99 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 am

Have had really good experiences with
- Anything Fuse Audio
- Plugin Alliance Lindell 254E and 7X-500, Vertigo VSC-2
- SKNote SDC (Shadow Hills Mastering Comp)
- Acustica Audio Pink (API 2500)
- Cytomic the Glue (SSL Bus comp)

As to whether they're worth it or not ... neither one is the difference maker. Each is just a piece of the puzzle, and tools I've had success with.

TIMT
KVRian
640 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:41 pm

dmbaer wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am
TIMT wrote:
T-Racks ... covers most basis i.e VCA(G,E series),FET(1176) and optical compression(LA2A)
Don't forget the fourth category (based on Mu vacuum tube compressors) represented by the 670 and the Vari-Mu plug-ins. IKM has one of their killer-good group buys on right now, so there will be no better time to pick up a pile of plug-ins (at 20 bucks per, or so depending upon your first selection).

The other recommendation would be to get the Nomad Factory Analog Signature pack when its on sale (which is often at Plugivery). These plug-ins sound like crap if you drive them even a little bit too hard. But avoid that and they can add some truly magic warmth to a synth sound, IMO.
Pretty certain i said "most"and not "all"and if we are going for Mu recommendations i already suggested Fuse Audio who brought out one,but i also would take the Overloud 670 over IK and its weird behaviour.been a while(almost a decade)since i tried it so they may have updated it since then and thus that comment might be redundant.either way,the Overloud one is decent.Acustica (UltraMarine in the case of the 670) have the best box tone of anything.combine the 2 and you get the closest fascimilie to outboard you are likely to get ITB
I

telecharge
KVRist
443 posts since 22 Feb, 2014

Post Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:54 pm

I've not used it, but I've definitely seen a number of positive mentions of DMG TrackComp here on KVR. It's $90 USD, but you get 5 compressors.

I don't know that there's ever been a consensus about the best software emulations, but the Urei 1176, Teletronix LA2A, and SSL compressors are considered among the best hardware processors to model.

Personally, I've been satisfied with the emulations in Cakewalk's ProChannel and T-Racks.

Here's a nice, free vari-mu compressor to try: MJUC jr. - https://klanghelm.com/contents/products ... MJUCjr.php

Since it's a synth you're looking to augment, you might want to consider tube/tape saturation, as well.

Here's another freebie to try: Klevgrand FreeAMP - https://klevgrand.se/products/freeamp

zerocrossing
KVRAF

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:34 am

TIMT wrote:
Get TrackComp and call it a day.cheap,models are the shit,in a totally different league than T-Racks(though if they revamp them with the tech they did on the Tape Collection i'll be a very happy chappy),covers most basis i.e VCA(G,E series),FET(1176) and optical compression(LA2A)

Other than that Fuse Audios stuff is pretty decent and again doesn't break the bank

I liked Analog Obsession too,but i can't really recommend them in all honesty(nothing to do with the sound that's for sure)
Why not recommend Analog Obsession?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing
KVRAF

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:43 am

telecharge wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:54 pm
Since it's a synth you're looking to augment, you might want to consider tube/tape saturation, as well.
I do have Decapitator and a few others... Saturn, Redoptor, etc. I do feel like when you get to a certain level of drive that an actual analog device, even a cheaper one like my Analog Heat, sounds a bit better. I’m wondering if I’d experience the same thing in a compressor emulation.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing
KVRAF

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:49 am

TIMT wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:41 pm
...and you get the closest fascimilie to outboard you are likely to get ITB
So, that’s something I’d like to explore more. How “close” and how “likely?”

To be clear, I’m not getting bad results with what I have.
Zerocrossing Media

Digivolt
KVRian
532 posts since 21 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:59 am

I like the Black Rooster comps, Acustica's offerings and Boz Manic comp, I really want to try out the Tim P Nebula comps though as I see they're universally loved but Nebula is out of my budget at the moment

cprompt
KVRian
822 posts since 17 Nov, 2010 from UK

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:01 am

zerocrossing wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:34 am
Why not recommend Analog Obsession?
Not to open that can of worms, but the tl;dr answer is that he is a guy whose heart was in the right place, but his business head most certainly was not.

Sometimes he pops in to say hello but often he just disappears for long stretches of time. He is not a dev I feel comfortable about giving my money to :(

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3464 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 am

analog obsession has been around for years now. i own most of the collection. it sounds great. he's Turkish, so he does things differently. ask mr. B from synth master. he doesn't come around here a lot because he doesn't want to deal with the hog wash from 20 yr old edm kids. i don't blame
him. biggest issue with AO is that he will do updates and you don't know it's been updated recently, so every once in a while you have to go download everything and reinstall everything on your own to get updates.

look, software and hardware are completely different animals. you deal with them differently. in hardware every unit can sound slightly different, in software every VERSION of a unit will behave slightly different. you find ones you like using and you use it. if you know what sounds good it doesn't matter. i own like 10-12 different compressors i use for different situations. depends on the dynamics i want. i do own several different versions of the same types on units, they all sound and behave different, and i have them spread out over several different computers.

Return to “Effects”