Beta testing a sample recording plugin/app

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:44 am Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly does this do that the record function in any DAW doesn't do? Or a simple bounce feature, for that matter?
One application is in teaching: If you want a quick demonstration that lets one record a sound (or voice snippet) and instantly play it back at different pitches to show the concept behind sampling, this can't be beat. Sure, I could use a DAQ to record a voice, save it locally, open up Kontakt, create a patch, open the editor, import the wav, assign it to a keyrange, save it to a nki, create a DAW patch, insert Kontakt into it, have Kontakt load that nki, associate the DAW patch with a keyboard, and then do the demo, but even my college-age students would have long lost their attention by that point.

I already uploaded, let me know when you test it

The idea actually came from AnalogGuy, who asked me if I knew such plugin and I was "hey, I could make one". ;-) :hug: So he kinda "commissioned" me to do it. :hihi:

AnalogGuy1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:19 pm
fmr wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:44 am Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly does this do that the record function in any DAW doesn't do? Or a simple bounce feature, for that matter?
One application is in teaching: If you want a quick demonstration that lets one record a sound (or voice snippet) and instantly play it back at different pitches to show the concept behind sampling, this can't be beat. Sure, I could use a DAQ to record a voice, save it locally, open up Kontakt, create a patch, open the editor, import the wav, assign it to a keyrange, save it to a nki, create a DAW patch, insert Kontakt into it, have Kontakt load that nki, associate the DAW patch with a keyboard, and then do the demo, but even my college-age students would have long lost their attention by that point.
There are way simpler ways than that you described. If you are teaching, you should know them. :roll:

I just asked because I didn't saw any editing features mentioned (like loop editing, for example) and was curious to know if they are present. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Loop points are possible, using the loop start and end. I didn't add further editing as it wasn't really required. I guess people those days are always negative when it comes to new things. But heck, what do I know. ;-) If you like you like it, use it, otherwise, leave it alone. :hihi:

fmr wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:46 pm
AnalogGuy1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:19 pm
There are way simpler ways than that you described. If you are teaching, you should know them. :roll:
fmr_post: You said just what I wanted to hear! (The "way simpler ways to do this" part not the "if you are teaching, you should know" part). What's a better solution than either William's or the solution that I describe that requires the user to use one program to record and another to import it and map it to a Kontakt patch keyrange? I am not an audio guy - my research is primarily with biomedical signal processing. My only audio experience is as a keys player in a gigging classic rock covers band, and there we perform everything live - I don't even own a DAW, just a VST host designed for live gigging. And why the sarcasm? Let's help out each other rather than being simultaneously sarcastic and unhelpful, which can set a negative tone for the forum and discourage others from contributing.

(Also, as a teacher, I pull from all sorts of fields from which I am decidedly not an expert - seismology, audio processing, financial modeling, astrophysics. Wouldn't you prefer to learn about digital signal processing from a class like that than if I kept all examples limited to my core competency in acute myocardial infarct prediction from ECG signals?)

BTW: for those learning, I used the Hermit 4-point interpolation for the antialias playback. So the code is there to check. You can also see it on the Music DSP page.

http://www.musicdsp.org/en/latest/Other ... ght=hermit

And I did an SSE/AVX version on the Wusik ZR, which code is also available to see. :cool:

https://github.com/WilliamKWusik/Wusik-ZR

I'm just trying to give something back to the community, after all those years. :shrug:

Cheers, WilliamK

WilliamK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:33 pm BTW: for those learning, I used the Hermit 4-point interpolation for the antialias playback. So the code is there to check. You can also see it on the Music DSP page.

http://www.musicdsp.org/en/latest/Other ... ght=hermit
8)

AnalogGuy1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:22 pm fmr_post: You said just what I wanted to hear! (The "way simpler ways to do this" part not the "if you are teaching, you should know" part). What's a better solution than either William's or the solution that I describe that requires the user to use one program to record and another to import it and map it to a Kontakt patch keyrange? I am not an audio guy - my research is primarily with biomedical signal processing. My only audio experience is as a keys player in a gigging classic rock covers band, and there we perform everything live - I don't even own a DAW, just a VST host designed for live gigging. And why the sarcasm? Let's help out each other rather than being simultaneously sarcastic and unhelpful, which can set a negative tone for the forum and discourage others from contributing.

(Also, as a teacher, I pull from all sorts of fields from which I am decidedly not an expert - seismology, audio processing, financial modeling, astrophysics. Wouldn't you prefer to learn about digital signal processing from a class like that than if I kept all examples limited to my core competency in acute myocardial infarct prediction from ECG signals?)
Ok, if you are really interested, you can use REAPER and its own sampler ReaSamploMatic5000. It can load a sound recorded directly in a REAPER track, and play it as a sampler, or you can simply drag and drop a sound over it. Nothing to fuss about. This is just an example - I could give you more.

No idea if this would be useful for your needs though, since I didn't understood exactly what you intend to do.
Last edited by fmr on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

In Live you can record a clip, drop it into Simpler and you're done. No need for 3rd party wav players.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:57 pm In Live you can record a clip, drop it into Simpler and you're done. No need for 3rd party wav players.
It's truly surprising that more DAWs don't let you record arbitrary combinations of audio streams in real time (NOT bouncing, rendering or anything else offline). Think "analog tape style - I want to record what I'm hearing as audio right now, whether 2 bus or combinations of individual channels, for further use elsewhere within the DAW".

Very simple in AudioMulch, Live, Bitwig, and Reaper; tricky at best in Logic without complicated Aux routing, especially as new channels/busses are added; kinda works in Reason with sampling input fed by Control. Definitely didn't work in Tracktion 2-6. Melda Recorder kinda works OK for this, but I'm always looking for a better solution.

I just like to test things.
I download. Install. Test if it works. Maybe learn something.
Then i move to the next thing and forget about it.
How useful it is isn't an issue.

Yeah, thanks Saffran. :cool:

WilliamK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:33 pm I'm just trying to give something back to the community, after all those years. :shrug:
It's appreciated. Thanks!

:hug:

Return to “Instruments”