large fxp / fxb data size limits ?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all

Does anyone know if a VST Plugin or Host impose any limits or have difficulty with large *.fxp / *.fxb sizes.
My Plugin (VST 2.x) is required to manipulate a large number of parameters, so if I set my version of 'kNumParams' to 2624 are things likely to go pear shaped.
Where 2624 * sizeof(float) = 10496. Times that by 128 presets is 1.3MB
Have any of you successfully used such a big chunk of allocated memory for a plugin's presets..

Ta Kirsty

No real personal experience, but I'm under the impression that some hosts at least in the past did have some fixed limits which are unfortunately rather difficult to predict. Many plugins handle their presets internally, so you only really ever save one as part of the project, but even then you can apparently hit some problems whenever you have sample data or something similar that makes the individual presets large. Even then, this might be your best option.

mystran wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:16 pm No real personal experience, but I'm under the impression that some hosts at least in the past did have some fixed limits which are unfortunately rather difficult to predict. Many plugins handle their presets internally, so you only really ever save one as part of the project, but even then you can apparently hit some problems whenever you have sample data or something similar that makes the individual presets large. Even then, this might be your best option.
Yep, as you suggest I think I might have to do my own preset and bank handler and ignore Fxp/FxB.
Though I have managed to get my 2624 params down to 814 with some snazzy data compression :lol:

Thanks Kirsty

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”