vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:53 pm
rugby99 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:22 am pay into an account..then you get download link
This alone is enough for me...
to be fair, that is what you do anyway (in legit circumstances)

Forgotten wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:11 pm
zombo66 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:09 pm A professor at school once told me about pirated software this was many years ago he would say "test it and try it if you like it buy it" and that's what I been doing i have now many paid software and benefit from updates and patches for my music product so it's up to all but my word of advise to everyone don't market yourself with pirated software if you like it and will use it save up and buy it special deals on holidays!!!don't be cheap!!cheers!!
So you're saying you use pirated software until you can afford to buy it?

some "famous" ppl do that even tho they can afford it

zombo66 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:09 pm A professor at school once told me about pirated software this was many years ago he would say "test it and try it if you like it buy it" and that's what I been doing i have now many paid software and benefit from updates and patches for my music product so it's up to all but my word of advise to everyone don't market yourself with pirated software if you like it and will use it save up and buy it special deals on holidays!!!don't be cheap!!cheers!!
Many years ago..............
I'm sure today he would say "Try the demo first".

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:02 pm
A strange thing to say from A professor
for 'professor', its pretty much more typical of 'recent graduate doing part time teaching in a community college'.

actual lecturers (since titled professors pretty much avoid teaching as a matter of principle) at a uni or poly would get hauled over the coals for that sort of comment; they'd actually be jeopardising the place's access to legitimate education site licenses.

might be a miscommunication... the prof may just have been repeating the crack groups "disclaimer"

and yes, i do know a bit about it, i used to actively seek stuff out and report to devs, as part of various beta teams :wink:

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:12 pm you dont get why someone would steal a car?
sometimes you just want to get home :)
  • 千里之行
    始於足下

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a first single step.

LaoZi
    DaoDeJing, Chap. 64

And I could add, from the same author and in the same chapter:
  • 为之于未有
    治之于未乱
    ImageImage
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

exmatproton wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:44 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:50 pm I can't afford a Ferrari. Maybe I'll steal one and drive it around until I can afford to buy one... :hyper:
Although i get what you mean, the analogy isn't right.

The threshold for piracy online is SO FREAKIN low, compared to almost all other forms of theft. I don't get why people would steal a car. I get why people would download a software solution (to try for instance, or just for their own (non-professional) usage).

I don't use pirated software at all and i don't talk it right, but i can see why one would use such software
Sorry but your justification isn't right. Stealing is stealing and that was my point. If more people understood that fact maybe we wouldn't need such intrusive copy protection.

Again I'd like a Ferrari to "try for instance, or just for my own (non-professional) usage".

Just because software is easy to steal doesn't make it right to steal it...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:00 pm
exmatproton wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:44 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:50 pm I can't afford a Ferrari. Maybe I'll steal one and drive it around until I can afford to buy one... :hyper:
Although i get what you mean, the analogy isn't right.

The threshold for piracy online is SO FREAKIN low, compared to almost all other forms of theft. I don't get why people would steal a car. I get why people would download a software solution (to try for instance, or just for their own (non-professional) usage).

I don't use pirated software at all and i don't talk it right, but i can see why one would use such software
Sorry but your justification isn't right. Stealing is stealing and that was my point. If more people understood that fact maybe we wouldn't need such intrusive copy protection.

Again I'd like a Ferrari to "try for instance, or just for my own (non-professional) usage".

Just because software is easy to steal doesn't make it right to steal it...... :wink:
Sure..that is exactly what i said. However, the analogy breaks because of the huge difference in threshold. The consequences of stealing a car (expensive or not) are immensely different from stealing a software package. Sure, stealing is stealing, i agree, but the analogy is just wrong because of the difference in scale

So you judge morality by the severity of the consequences ? So one is a Misdemeanor and one is a Category B Felony (here in the State of Nevada). They are both crimes. They are both morally wrong and that should be end of the discussion.

Just because there is likely no punishment for stealing software it's still wrong. Perhaps if there were serious consequences it would cut down the rate of piracy as most software thieves wouldn't have the balls to steal a candy bar from the corner market for fear of being caught.

Then maybe companies wouldn't have to consider going to dongle protection. To justify or minimize the impact of the theft of software in any way simply exacerbates the problem.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnX wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:07 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:53 pm
rugby99 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:22 am pay into an account..then you get download link
This alone is enough for me...
to be fair, that is what you do anyway (in legit circumstances)
Oh, in that case go for it.

Since it now is about copyright i have a question.
Pretend there's this supercool audio/midi software that cost a fortune when it was released.
It now has gone 10 years and the software isn't on the market anymore. The developing company doesn't exist anymore. There's no way to find it on the net, free or commercial.
Would you download and use it if you found it as cracked software?

Saffran wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:36 am Since it now is about copyright i have a question.
Pretend there's this supercool audio/midi software that cost a fortune when it was released.
It now has gone 10 years and the software isn't on the market anymore. The developing company doesn't exist anymore. There's no way to find it on the net, free or commercial.
No.
Because it is an encouragement to keep on cracking.
And also because when a door is slightly open, it is tempting to open it wider or to open other doors. If I authorize myself to use a cracked software "because the product is discontinued"... I open slightly a first door. Then I'll be tempted to reiterate the same behavior later, opening each time the door wider... and that way as soon as the first time I open the door I encourage the cracking and finally I contribute to the warez world.
So no.

In the past I have myself opened, very slightly, that door. But I didn't take... I gave! Not wider but only to friends. But already it was a bad thing. It was several years ago. Then I have understood what I was doing, after a few years of thinking. Then I stopped. Definitively stopped.

And that's why in my previous post I added a second sentence from LaoZi: "为之于未有 治之于未乱". A sentence which means "Act when things have not yet appeared, prevent when there are not yet troubles.".
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:45 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:12 pm you dont get why someone would steal a car?
sometimes you just want to get home :)
  • 千里之行
    始於足下

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a first single step.

LaoZi
    DaoDeJing, Chap. 64

And I could add, from the same author and in the same chapter:
  • 为之于未有
    治之于未乱
    ImageImage
see, a thousand miles is a long way to walk or an expensive taxi. we're back to "scouse taxi" :)

Saffran wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:36 am Since it now is about copyright i have a question.
ask tek if it's ok to nick a classic car that's no longer in production :)
without a car analogy how is anyone supposed to decide?

Teksonik wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:46 am So you judge morality by the severity of the consequences ? So one is a Misdemeanor and one is a Category B Felony (here in the State of Nevada). They are both crimes. They are both morally wrong and that should be end of the discussion.

Just because there is likely no punishment for stealing software it's still wrong. Perhaps if there were serious consequences it would cut down the rate of piracy as most software thieves wouldn't have the balls to steal a candy bar from the corner market for fear of being caught.

Then maybe companies wouldn't have to consider going to dongle protection. To justify or minimize the impact of the theft of software in any way simply exacerbates the problem.
you know the law does this a lot?
well they only nicked a few grand, no one got hurt, small fine...

usually depends on available prison places over here, over there its different because of the whole prison as a business thing.

not that im saying pirate stuff.
also, ive never stolen a car.
i cant drive for one thing, so would be easy to catch.

Return to “Instruments”