Xfer LFO Tool - worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see this as a utility tool rather than just fake sidechain. It does so much, it can operate as an envelope so I could use this on my audio tracks and I could do similar things that I would do with a sampler. It also has 'Cytomic' filters AFAIK, but I’m not sure if it worth 50 bucks - if I can achieve the same results with my DAW (Logic)

- Sample accurate sync - does that mean that I could even use it as a volume/filter automation tool? So that instead of automating the volume faders in my DAW I would use LFO tool with the appropriate rate settings. Would that give me a better sounding result (I know there are issues with the way DAWS handle automatation, sometimes it can cause some unpleasant artefacts, so it’s not like moving a real fader.

- I read somewhere that proper sidechain is so oldschool. Do really everybody use fake sidechain nowadays? Doesn’t traditional sidechain sound more organic, in your opinion?

Just to clarify, it cannot be mapped to other devices' parameters, but it does work well as an envelope for its volume controls and filters. Man, if it could be mapped to other devices' parameters, the way Ableton Live tools like LFO can be mapped, it would be so much more. Still, I don't use it much (got other ways to duck, sidechain, modulate).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:00 pm Just to clarify, it cannot be mapped to other devices' parameters, but it does work well as an envelope for its volume controls and filters.
Yes, I know. I was only referring to volume/filter automation and print to audio. What's the preferred way for dukcing, is LFO Tool lacking comparing to latter products?

I don't think is lacking at all, but I tend to use Gatekeeper (I have overlapping plugins).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Cableguys Shaperbox on sale was my choice

For me, yes. For you, only you can tell.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:25 pm Cableguys Shaperbox on sale was my choice
+ 1 on that because of it´s other shapers, it´s presets and it´s multiband capabilities!! :tu:

It's worth it imho, has a few tricks of its own (switching between graphs with MIDI for instance) and Xfer is a great dev imho. But tbh I use Shaperbox (and also Serum FX) more often.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:13 pm For me, yes. For you, only you can tell.
X2

For me it wast worth btw. Shaperbox for me.

As much as i like Shaperbox and the shapers, they always missed some features for me. E.g., for Trancegate's, i rather use Polyverse Gatekeeper. It's just more complete (and i dot it for really cheap... :)).

It really depends what you want to do, i guess.

Totally worth it! It does alot, also has a ton of filters. Can be used as a creative tool as well as a problem solver. You can trigger it from midi as well iirc.

pbr985 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:53 pm I see this as a utility tool rather than just fake sidechain. It does so much, it can operate as an envelope so I could use this on my audio tracks and I could do similar things that I would do with a sampler. It also has 'Cytomic' filters AFAIK, but I’m not sure if it worth 50 bucks - if I can achieve the same results with my DAW (Logic)

- Sample accurate sync - does that mean that I could even use it as a volume/filter automation tool? So that instead of automating the volume faders in my DAW I would use LFO tool with the appropriate rate settings. Would that give me a better sounding result (I know there are issues with the way DAWS handle automatation, sometimes it can cause some unpleasant artefacts, so it’s not like moving a real fader.

- I read somewhere that proper sidechain is so oldschool. Do really everybody use fake sidechain nowadays? Doesn’t traditional sidechain sound more organic, in your opinion?
If you use Logic, check out the Modulator MIDI FX plugin. It gives you an LFO and an envelope that can easily be assigned to any plugin parameter on the track (effect or instrument).
One drawback though is that it can't be used on audio tracks or busses (though there are some somewhat clumsy workarounds for that).
I don't know how much of the Xfer LFO Tool's territory that covers but it's definitely worth exploring for similar effects.

try 'fake sidechaining' anything other than a 4/4 kickdrum.

i do not use fake side-chaining except in one or two special occasions, and surprisingly, not all of those were for kick drums. one was a rhythm guitar section that i wanted to duck a certain frequency band from, every 8 beats

sqigls wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:48 am try 'fake sidechaining' anything other than a 4/4 kickdrum.
Just midi trigger lfotool?

Return to “Effects”