Korg ms 20 mini emulation

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,
I want to start with modular synthesis, the korg ms20 mini is the one that hot My attention but i care only for the sound and not for the hardware so an emulation like softube is fine to me..
The question is: can i get the same modular synthesis( with the right modules) with softube in order to obtain the sound of a korg ms 20 mini?
Ps: i m open to alternatives

What about the Korg MS-20 emulations?

VCV Rack ftw

Georg wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 pm The question is: can i get the same modular synthesis( with the right modules) with softube in order to obtain the sound of a korg ms 20 mini?
No, for varying amounts of 'not quite' depending on how much the same you actually mean. The only MS20 style module there is the Korgasmatron. In addition to the ones already mentioned:
If you want the filter, look at The Drop. If you want the filter and the oscillator, look at Diva. If you want the filter, oscillator and the audio input processor, look at Cherry Voltage.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:07 am
Georg wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 pm The question is: can i get the same modular synthesis( with the right modules) with softube in order to obtain the sound of a korg ms 20 mini?
No, for varying amounts of 'not quite' depending on how much the same you actually mean. The only MS20 style module there is the Korgasmatron. In addition to the ones already mentioned:
If you want the filter, look at The Drop. If you want the filter and the oscillator, look at Diva. If you want the filter, oscillator and the audio input processor, look at Cherry Voltage.
Thanks,
I mean to have fun like a korg ms 20 mini.. I thought softube was the best.
I ll take a look to cherry Voltage. Diva is too limited and the drop.. I Never heard it.

Georg wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm... Diva is too limited...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Personally my favorite way to get in the area of an MS20 is The Drop after whatever oscillators you want. I happen to like Omnisphere/Trilian as a soundsource, or Reaktor Blocks (you can the free Blocks Base from NI). Even though I own it, I don't really use the Korg MS20 although the filters aren't bad. Diva certainly isn't limited, it can do most of what the MS20 can do plus a whole lot more. But I don't currently own that one either as it just doesn't have something I look for that I can get elsewhere, never really knew what it was that I found lacking as it's very impressive.

Diva is not modular, i Tried the demo.. it sounds great but it s not what i m looking for

I modelled some of the modules in Analogy on my old Korg MS10 & MS50. Especially the Korg35 LP filter.
Might be worth 9 minutes 46 seconds of your time :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8FuJ3FsVI

Kirsty

fabfilter one is a good ms20 emu ;)

Georg wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:37 am Diva is not modular, i Tried the demo.. it sounds great but it s not what i m looking for
Diva is semi-modular as some of the paths are predefined, but it's still modular to the extent that you can do some mix and match.

And the MS-20 was not a modular synth. It was somewhere half way between semi-modular and modular. It was a semi-modular where some connections could be done by cables instead of a fully internal fixed architecture tweakable by switches, giving that way more possibilities to make original patches. Korg even introduced the MS-20 not as a modular synth but as a semi-modular synth. What it really was, actually.

The ARP 2600 was also between semi-modular and modular. Much closer to modular than the MS-20, but not yet a true modular.

The ARP 2500 was really a modular. And of course the Moog System 10/15/35/55, the Roland System 500, the Buchla Box, the EMS Synthi 100, etc.

The ARP 2600 was created to provide the ability to create on stage and on more studios throughout the world some of the most common patches (so not the most complex ones) made on the ARP 2500, and of course to give the opportunity to have these wonderful ARP sounds for less money for those, bands or single musicians, who couldn't afford the ARP 2500.

Korg never made a true modular, except in 1983 the very confidential PME Modular Effects System (with 14 separate modules and a central unit). To be a real modular each module must be isolated, the patchbay or the matrix being the only way to connect the modules each others, but the synth being not necessarily with an extensible architecture, it can be a fixed one on the front panel if there are enough oscillators and filters available on the panel. The Korg PS-3300 was much more modular than the MS-20. But even this PS-3300 was not yet a true modular. Very, very close but not yet a real one.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”