Modal Skulpt

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
lacandon
KVRian
570 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 am

BONES wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:52 pm
Would you like to me make some demos to show how wrong you are, then? I'll have to get the Ultranova back from my bandmate but you're going to look pretty silly when I do.
Do it I dont mind I compared it to my Neutron and Diva and Repro which are better then the Ultranova.Its all subjective but the skulpt does have lot of a character for what it is it blows away the blofeld I was using for years. Compare them mostly with mono patches and skulpt would blow.it away.I do have red converters and I can hearly the differences

lacandon
KVRian
570 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:27 am

lacandon wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 am
BONES wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:52 pm
Would you like to me make some demos to show how wrong you are, then? I'll have to get the Ultranova back from my bandmate but you're going to look pretty silly when I do.

Do it I dont mind I compared it to my Neutron and Diva and Repro which are better then the Ultranova.Its all subjective but the skulpt does have lot of a character for what it is it blows away the blofeld I was using for years. Compare them mostly with mono patches and skulpt would blow.it away.I do have red converters and I can hear the differences.Its excellent synth capable of very solid sonics and great randomiser to come up with great stuff when u program complex sounds.I will compare.it.to.tetra when it arrives but thats a bit pointless because I want just tools to be creative and skulpt its nice suprise for 200 bucks.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8658 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:46 pm

lacandon wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 am
Do it I dont mind I compared it to my Neutron and Diva and Repro which are better then the Ultranova.Its all subjective...
Some of it is subjective but you said earlier of Ultranova, "not really ballsy sound", which is provably wrong. Then to compare it to Neutron, a monosynth with fewer oscillators per voice, is just absurd. Utranova will wipe the floor with Neutron.
Compare them mostly with mono patches and skulpt would blow.it away.
First of all, why would I do that when it goes against the best way of making a ballsy sound? And secondly, if I did, Ultranova would win easily on the strength of having more oscillators, each of which can have up to 8 copies detuned for hugeness, and because of it's superior cross-modulation options.
I do have red converters and I can hearly the differences
Of course you can hear a difference, you've just got it arse-backwards. Honestly, I have never heard anything that can match the Ultranova when it comes to ballsy sound. It is an absolute beast that can be really hard to tame. Even the humble K-Station would hold it's own against Skulpt, I reckon, and that's something anyone can test via the V-Station plugin.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

User avatar
JoeCat
KVRian
1305 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:03 pm

BONES wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:46 pm
Of course you can hear a difference, you've just got it arse-backwards. Honestly, I have never heard anything that can match the Ultranova when it comes to ballsy sound. It is an absolute beast that can be really hard to tame. Even the humble K-Station would hold it's own against Skulpt, I reckon, and that's something anyone can test via the V-Station plugin.
You don't need to bother your bandmates if this'll do: Yep - Imma gotta say it again - Ultranova cannot be beat when you need a compact live keyboard that can cut through and do just about anything. It's got balls if you know where to look. Maybe I just know how to program it :hihi:

Yeah, it's not better than a Model D, or Prophet, or Wurli, or B3, or... but there's not much that can passably do all that and cut through a live mix.

(crappy phone recording and shitty late-night slightly inebriated performance, but here's the little Novation pretending to be a Model D and Mellotron:)
(also - that's my son on keys/sax so watch the comments on his on-stage Entwistle-like presence. My dumbass little head is behind the drums :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CpNN-AHmI

User avatar
JoeCat
KVRian
1305 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 pm

(also, that one note that repeats at the beginning of each verse line (0:25, 0:31, etc.) - we gotta soundcheck that less we blow the bottom out of the PA)

lacandon
KVRian
570 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:13 am

BONES wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:46 pm
lacandon wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 am
Do it I dont mind I compared it to my Neutron and Diva and Repro which are better then the Ultranova.Its all subjective...
Some of it is subjective but you said earlier of Ultranova, "not really ballsy sound", which is provably wrong. Then to compare it to Neutron, a monosynth with fewer oscillators per voice, is just absurd. Utranova will wipe the floor with Neutron.
Compare them mostly with mono patches and skulpt would blow.it away.
First of all, why would I do that when it goes against the best way of making a ballsy sound? And secondly, if I did, Ultranova would win easily on the strength of having more oscillators, each of which can have up to 8 copies detuned for hugeness, and because of it's superior cross-modulation options.
I do have red converters and I can hearly the differences
Of course you can hear a difference, you've just got it arse-backwards. Honestly, I have never heard anything that can match the Ultranova when it comes to ballsy sound. It is an absolute beast that can be really hard to tame. Even the humble K-Station would hold it's own against Skulpt, I reckon, and that's something anyone can test via the V-Station plugin.
Oh ye even Logic es 2 its better then Skulpt u talk a bit of nonsense now.Ultranova is anything but ballsy sounding.Then again no point arguing and I will be careful with the statement would.wipe the floor with Neutron.The ultra/mini always sounded more like itb synth not saying is bad synth but it just lacks.any character.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8658 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 am

That is absolutely ridiculous! For a start, it has 14 different filter types, 14, so it doesn't have to rely on any single character, it can sound however you want it to. How is that not completely obvious? And it should also be obvious that Ultranova will sound more like an "ITB synth" because most of them have copied its feature set. But if you are stupid enough to think that hardware sounds better than software, then there is definitely no point in continuing this conversation because you very clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
JoeCat wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:03 pm
Yeah, it's not better than a Model D, or Prophet, or Wurli, or B3, or... but there's not much that can passably do all that and cut through a live mix.
Are you kidding me? You couldn't give me a Model D or any of those other things. Ultranova can wipe the floor with any and all of them. Prophet V was a monster in its day but its day was 40 years ago now. Interestingly, both my bandmate and I independently came to the same conclusion - RePro 1 is way better than RePro 5, which tallies with my memories of seeing bands in the 80s - I was often very envious of bands I saw with a Pro 1 but not so much of bands with a Prophet V.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

User avatar
JoeCat
KVRian
1305 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:33 am

BONES wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 am
JoeCat wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:03 pm
Yeah, it's not better than a Model D, or Prophet, or Wurli, or B3, or... but there's not much that can passably do all that and cut through a live mix.
Are you kidding me? You couldn't give me a Model D or any of those other things. Ultranova can wipe the floor with any and all of them. Prophet V was a monster in its day but its day was 40 years ago now. Interestingly, both my bandmate and I independently came to the same conclusion - RePro 1 is way better than RePro 5, which tallies with my memories of seeing bands in the 80s - I was often very envious of bands I saw with a Pro 1 but not so much of bands with a Prophet V.
HA - I should have recalled your love for all things "cascade filter". :hihi:

My point just being you can pull off your screaming 3-osc mono lead on the Ultranova, then turn it into a wurli with a patch change, and no one in the audience will care. Your band can pull off a Pro One lead instead, and we'll be i agreement!

(my biggest complaint is all those nice buttons can't do double-duty for patch recall).

Anyone, back to the Skulpt debate (though I don't own one yet)...

lacandon
KVRian
570 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:07 am

BONES wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 am
That is absolutely ridiculous! For a start, it has 14 different filter types, 14, so it doesn't have to rely on any single character, it can sound however you want it to. How is that not completely obvious? And it should also be obvious that Ultranova will sound more like an "ITB synth" because most of them have copied its feature set. But if you are stupid enough to think that hardware sounds better than software, then there is definitely no point in continuing this conversation because you very clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
JoeCat wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:03 pm
Yeah, it's not better than a Model D, or Prophet, or Wurli, or B3, or... but there's not much that can passably do all that and cut through a live mix.
Are you kidding me? You couldn't give me a Model D or any of those other things. Ultranova can wipe the floor with any and all of them. Prophet V was a monster in its day but its day was 40 years ago now. Interestingly, both my bandmate and I independently came to the same conclusion - RePro 1 is way better than RePro 5, which tallies with my memories of seeing bands in the 80s - I was often very envious of bands I saw with a Pro 1 but not so much of bands with a Prophet V.
You are using insulting language here hold ur horses please I ve been programming synths since 15 years and I have hundreds of releases i know very well what I am talking about.If we gonna use such a Insults I dont see point discussing anything with you.Its the modal thread as well so I wont continue comparing it to one synth which never been as popular as others to talk much about.Would like to discuss the Skulpt only which in my opinion and not only heard owners of moogs telling me same things about it.

User avatar
JoeCat
KVRian
1305 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:30 am

lacandon wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:07 am
BONES wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:39 am
That is absolutely ridiculous! ...

Are you kidding me? ...
You are using insulting language here hold ur horses please I ve been programming synths since 15 years and I have hundreds of releases i know very well what I am talking about.If we gonna use such a Insults I dont see point discussing anything with you.Its the modal thread as well so I wont continue comparing it to one synth which never been as popular as others to talk much about.Would like to discuss the Skulpt only which in my opinion and not only heard owners of moogs telling me same things about it.
Eh, It's Bones.

I don't think that language was insulting - abrasive maybe, but I'm from New Jersey, where our conversations often started with "Are you a f*cking idiot?" and ended with "How's your mother?" "Why don't you stop by for baked ziti Sunday and ask her yourself?"

It takes a lot to rile me. I suspect if I met Bones in a bar, we would argue about synth filters, then buy each other a beer and laugh at the local band's sh*tty guitarist.

Anyway, sorry for co-hijacking the thread. Also - KVR spellcheck: You really don't know what 'ziti' is?
Last edited by JoeCat on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
50411 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 am

bones is like a big cuddly spider :)
20190817_193327.jpg

you should grow a beard bones, it suits you :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
3391 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:23 pm

:lol:

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8658 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Beards are for losers.

lacandon wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:07 am
You are using insulting language here
No, descriptive language. If you feel insulted by it, you need to try harder.
hold ur horses please I ve been programming synths since 15 years and I have hundreds of releases i know very well what I am talking about.
15 years is less than half the time I've been doin' it, pal. In fact, I've been doing it purely in software for longer than that, after 20 years of working with hardware synths, effects and sequencers. So forgive me if I think I know a little bit more about it than you do.
Putting stuff on Soundcloud doesn't count as a release. Having someone else spend their money manufacturing and promoting your product counts as a release. BTW, neither of the links in your signature work.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

lacandon
KVRian
570 posts since 31 Aug, 2012

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 am

I do have dozens releases online some physical plus soundsets and soundpacks.I shouldnt explain myself In Skulpt thread just mentioned that I used lot.of gear.during the years and I know my skills about it.I didnt question yours at all just my opinion its different then yours and also of more.guys I spoke to about skulpt.There are same.comments in.the Peak thread about the bland boring sound the Ultra Mini have.The skulpt its way more organic sounding and inviting even though its much simpler instrument then ultranova and blofeld.Then we stop here as your opinion its different about the Skulpt.
My mate traded his bro model d for skulpt.He. got Jupiter 8,Virus,Deepmind,Minilogue,Mininova and many others I will know later on his take on the skulpt.He had almost any synth in existence.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8658 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Modal Skulpt

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:57 pm

As I've been saying to someone else on a different thread, you need to defend your ideas, not yourself. Nobody cares about you or I, it's our ideas that need to be shared so stop carrying on about yourself and talk bout the topic at hand. If you didn't explain yourself adequately the first time, clarify your point, don't get the shits because you've made yourself look dumb.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”