FactorSynth - Max for Live FSU *essential*

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
3221 posts since 27 Dec, 2002 from North East England

Post Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:48 am

It's a long while since I've wanted to keep a discovery to myself, but it's not really fair on the developer and also conflicts with my wanting to shout about this thing from the rooftops.

In short, this thing is NUTS. It can rearrange and pull details from sounds like nothing else. Very, very RAM heavy and a little on the crashy side, but there's nothing quite like it and I'm getting fresh sounds I'm not sure I'd be able to create in any other way out of it. I've been using it for a month or so now and it already seems irreplaceable. I haven't even got over the honeymoon period of just wanting to play with it and surprising myself with what it can do yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjbe_vJth38

Dirtgrain
KVRist
219 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Re: FactorSynth - Max for Live FSU *essential*

Post Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Oh, that has my eye. Is it then a morphing device, similar to Morph 2 or Mmorph? Could you explain in some detail some of the things you have done with it?

From the website (https://www.jjburred.com/software/factorsynth/), it uses "use a data analysis algorithm called matrix factorization to decompose any audio clip into a set of temporal and spectral elements. By rearranging and modifying these elements you can do powerful transformations to your clips, such as removing notes or motifs, creating new ones, randomizing melodies or timbres, changing rhythmic patterns, remixing loops in real time, creating complex sound textures..."

Puddi
KVRist
78 posts since 20 Dec, 2018

Post Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:49 pm

What the hell.

That looks amazing. :hyper:

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27482 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:20 am

saw this a wee while back, forgot about it, so posting to remind me...
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

KVRAF

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:06 am

Dirtgrain wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:01 pm
Oh, that has my eye. Is it then a morphing device, similar to Morph 2 or Mmorph? Could you explain in some detail some of the things you have done with it?
It can do a spin on the morphing type sound - selecting each element in a diagonal line in the cross-synthesis half of the plug typically produces an unusual spin on the 'spectral vocoder' type sound you hear in morphing plugs. It's much more fun to rearrange the elements of input sounds using the randomiser in the left half of the plug though. The results can be anything from an unpredictable time/frequency rearrangement of the original sound through to something that sounds like a bizarre filtering/compression effect when the process 'fails'.

Being able to render out the individual elements with one click is really nice too. It allows you to lay them out in your DAW and process 'internal elements' of sounds, like a turbocharged version of Eventide's Physion or the more unusual split types in Melda's multiband plugs.

I've just moved computers so I haven't tried this yet, but I'm also planning to decompose sounds and load the elements into multisource capable granular synths (e.g. Kaivo, Hourglass), with the aim of producing something akin to a 'timbral arpeggiation' effect. There's probably a whole new class of interesting effects to be found with granular synths or standard samplers once you load the decomposed elements into them and play around with selective triggering or crossfading etc. Effects that come from being able to treat a single sound as a multisampled instrument, essentially.

CrystalWizard
KVRian
788 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbiti sw usa

Re: FactorSynth - Max for Live FSU *essen

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:01 pm

cron wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:06 am

It can do a spin on the morphing type sound...

...I've just moved computers so I haven't tried this yet, but I'm also planning to decompose sounds and load the elements into multisource capable granular synths (e.g. Kaivo, Hourglass), with the aim of producing something akin to a 'timbral arpeggiation' effect. There's probably a whole new class of interesting effects to be found with granular synths or standard samplers once you load the decomposed elements into them and play around with selective triggering or crossfading etc. Effects that come from being able to treat a single sound as a multisampled instrument, essentially.
Wow, that seems like a lot of sound design fun!
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

Dirtgrain
KVRist
219 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Thank you for the information.

KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Just wanted to give this stunning software a little bump. Had a brief chat with the developer and version 2 is currently in development. Hugely excited to see what that will bring to the table.

Return to “Instruments”