Is the Market Finally Saturated?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Sinisterbr
KVRist
161 posts since 11 Mar, 2010

Post Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:13 am

SparkySpark wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:50 pm
Hi Markus,

Thanks for stepping in and sharing your thoughts. You're quite an optimist I see. :D

The sad truth is that most of us in this thread probably agree with most of what you write. There's one thing I don't agree with though:
Markus Krause wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:39 am
We are currently facing the same situation as we did with the video-game-crisis in the early 80s. The market was flooded with a huge number of low quality games. It ended up with a big crash and only the big companies which did deliver quality games like Nintendo did survive.
The "problem" as I see it is not that we have an abundance of low quality software, but that we have an abundance of HIGH quality software. What I mean is that we simply don't need a more professional compressor in our arsenal. So as the OP asks, saturation is the problem, not bad software.

That said, the effect will most likely be the same: small companies/constellations disappear because they are too small to survive. Their devs will go to more profitable jobs. At the same time, and as suggested in the thread, bigger companies will buy smaller ones. Finally, big hardware companies (say Logitech) will buy big music software companies for some tech they are missing (like Creative sucking the life out of E-MU). We saw this a few months ago when Izotope bought the reverb dev (forgot its name) - not saying this is a bad thing though as it prolongs the life of quality small-dev software.
Well put.
I still think we're in the middle of a turning point (I never said it would be snapping fast), but I disagree with the videogame crisis comparison made by Markus. I don't think there will be a hard crash in this industry, but more likely smaller players getting out of business. So yes, there is a saturation, in my point of view.

SparkySpark
KVRAF
1614 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Skövde, Sweden

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:15 am

Sinisterbr wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:13 am
Well put.
I still think we're in the middle of a turning point (I never said it would be snapping fast), but I disagree with the videogame crisis comparison made by Markus. I don't think there will be a hard crash in this industry, but more likely smaller players getting out of business. So yes, there is a saturation, in my point of view.
Well put Sinsisterbr!

Damn, we should form a company together, or why not a band? :band: I have thought of the band name Sister Sinister for a long time. :D
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8654 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:54 pm

You know, playing with the Aparillo demo last night, I've realised there is still plenty of scope for new and unique plugins. That thing is utterly unique and capable of some incredible sounds. To me it makes far more sense to be working on stuff like that than on yet another emulation of some old synth that people stopped using 40 years ago. What's needed in the market is a little more innovation on the part of developers and a market that's receptive to such innovation. I've bought Aparillo not because I necessarily think I will get a lot out of it so much as to encourage Sugar-Bytes to keep on thinking outside the box (and because it was half-price).
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

SparkySpark
KVRAF
1614 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Skövde, Sweden

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:00 pm

BONES wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:54 pm
You know, playing with the Aparillo demo last night, I've realised there is still plenty of scope for new and unique plugins. That thing is utterly unique and capable of some incredible sounds. To me it makes far more sense to be working on stuff like that than on yet another emulation of some old synth that people stopped using 40 years ago. What's needed in the market is a little more innovation on the part of developers and a market that's receptive to such innovation. I've bought Aparillo not because I necessarily think I will get a lot out of it so much as to encourage Sugar-Bytes to keep on thinking outside the box (and because it was half-price).
I agree with you Bones. I too thought of Aparillo actually. There are a few more recent ones, and for each year there will be yet another five or so synths/effects truly unique in terms of sound produced or in terms of workflow/UI.

When I come to think about it, I honestly do not need more than five new intriguing instruments/effects per year (because of the high quality stuff available as mentioned above).

So the answer to the question should, in effect, be no: the market is rather crowded, but there is still room for more software pushing the boundaries.
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12662 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:05 pm

There are saturated segments of the market but as long as there is innovation the market as a whole will always expand.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Butwug
KVRist
283 posts since 26 Oct, 2018

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:09 pm

anomandaris1 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 pm
I am still waiting for a good modern Phase or Frequency modulation synth
Bitwig’s Phase-4 is great.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8654 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:13 pm

ReFX had a great phase distortion synth, called PlastiCZ!, but they discontinued it years and years ago for some reason.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), Zoom U24, Cubase, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Synthmaster One, Aparillo, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

tony10000
KVRist
493 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Well, the fact that NI laid of 20% of its staff and is moving to a unified (subscription?) product is indicative of market pressure. It is also interesting to note that Reason Studios (formerly Propellerhead) seems to be heading in a different direction with the Reason Rack. So, my initial thesis may be right. We may see a "thinning of the herd".

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
1033 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:30 am

tony10000 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 pm
Well, the fact that NI laid of 20% of its staff and is moving to a unified (subscription?) product is indicative of market pressure. It is also interesting to note that Reason Studios (formerly Propellerhead) seems to be heading in a different direction with the Reason Rack. So, my initial thesis may be right. We may see a "thinning of the herd".
no one has mentioned how is the german economy doing? the NI happenings could be linked. Is consumer spending down heavily?
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
Aliens
KVRian
811 posts since 2 Oct, 2016 from DogGirlDon't

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:36 am

What has German consumer spending got to do with NI sacking staff while selling software in a global marketplace?

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
1033 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:42 am

Well. There usually is a connection between local economy and the business that operates in the country. they must have investments in other stuff than just music.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
3261 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 am

If one G7 country is sick then you can pretty much guarantee an impact on world markets, so regardless of the global nature of NI’s market, German consumer confidence is an indicator of macroeconomic trends.

Not sure that this is market related anyway - it seems more closely related to NI’s realization that they are running at less than optimal efficiency and are making poor management decisions.

highkoo
KVRAF
3883 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 am

They probably just fired the people that have left MX in such a state.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
16024 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 am

Butwug wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:09 pm
anomandaris1 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:51 pm
I am still waiting for a good modern Phase or Frequency modulation synth
Bitwig’s Phase-4 is great.
And then there is Bazille... it is an amazing synth for phase and frequency modulation...

chk071
KVRAF
21587 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Is the Market Finally Saturated?

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 am

highkoo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 am
They probably just fired the people that have left MX in such a state.
I'm glad they don't have such a smart person like yourself in charge for that. If they fired those people, they would have a real problem with digging into the code to provide further updates. Genius. :dog:

Apart from that, NI is responsible for the state the plugins are when they release them.

Return to “Instruments”