Waves Plugins worth $0?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A lot of things are not meant to be resold. Think of the value of an engagement ring engraved with your girl's name on it. It might have cost you a lot of money, it might mean the world to her, it also is worth a fraction of its cost on resale. But the resell value is not the reason you bought it.

If you are buying plugins thinking you are going to resell them you are doing it wrong.

And Waves is not the only one. The entire industry is to some extent looking for ways to discourage second hand sales, or at least profit a bit from it.

JoaquinAce wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:32 pm I would suggest just hold on to the CLA-2A. Yes bet you will find a future use for it. Unless you have a hardware LA-2A sitting on your desk :)
Having a hardware LA-2A means you have 1 mono channel. The plugin means you have unlimited mono/stereo channels. You'd need an army of hardware LA-2As to replace the plugin, plus excellent A/D converters and routing.

From that perspective, the plugin is worth at least $50k.

Ive got dozens of Waves plug ins here. Love ‘em. They do a job. Some I use every day, some not very often. Wouldn’t sell any. When you buy software you're only buying a licence really. Never paid more than $29 for any of them; they're always on sale.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I think what I was getting at originally, is the marketing strategy of always having sales might be a bit deceptive. Also leaving the list price from 10 years ago implying that the plugin is worth x amount but hasn't sold for that price in years, is misleading.
Maybe I was a bit harsh with the turd comment. I bought the bss dpr-402 and it's not really the same as a turd.

It's definitely deceptive, and also illegal in many countries. In Sweden, a sale has to be for a limited time only, and it's illegal to increase the price just before a sale, for example. Waves do this all the time. E.g. sometimes they'll have a 50% off "coupon" and at the same time increase the sale price from $29 to $59 putting the actual price right back at $29.50. They've devalued their brand to the point where their sales are really just a meme at this point.

That said, I've picked up several useful Waves plugins for under $29 each, some for much less when included in bundles. If you just ignore their shady marketing tactics and simply consider $29 to be the "regular" price for any Waves plugin, you can find some decent bargains that still do the job perfectly adequately.

Some good posts here actually. Forget ever selling a Waves plug, it will never be worth it. It might, however, be worth a bit in upgrading a package. Upgrades are also available through resellers. However, I don't really have much issue with this - the worth is in what it does for you, not what you can get for it.

Our industry is an odd one. In an ideal world, anyone getting into to it for the first time or after a long absence would do nothing but read forums for a month, and try desperately to sift through the noise. Every developer has their own way of selling stuff, and its not always obvious what the best deals are.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Waves are notorious for that kind of pricing strategy. That's sort of how they do business. There are more than a few developers and companies that do that sort of thing . What can you do.

Best thing to do is search KVR and GS for posts about the product and sales and see what others have paid for them.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Notorious, shady, worthless. Jeez. I really don't know what people expect these days from a company who have been pricing their wares for less than two people going to a single movie and getting a large popcorn.
I like the waves ones I use a lot and the ones I don't c'est la vie. I've also walked out of movie theaters thinking that sure was a waste of money. Can't resell that half ticket stub.

Nah, the new ones do too. Mixhub was like 39 bucks a week ago. Totally worth it if you like to mix that way.

So now they are doing a transfer fee? :dog: You want a WUP AND transfer fees? And you have to sell them at a nearly give away price?

That sucks.

Waves is a devaluated brand. What a stupid short time marketing strategy.

I'm almost never using Waves plugins. They aren't updated (I mean their algos). Some plugs over 30 years old. There are lot better equivalents available.

Roman Wisniak wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:27 pm Waves is a devaluated brand. What a stupid short time marketing strategy.
They are smart and are making a killing. Plugins are over priced and the only reason people get mad is that they believe they have a resale value. Plugins is like fashion sneakers, people put more value on things with higher retail price.

iOS you can get $100+ synths for less then $20 and Apple tax takes 30%. We need more cheap options.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

The mixhub looks good. It's like a ssl channel strip on steroids. I was considering buying it and then the sale ended. If the price was always $39 I would have bought it. I'll ask them if they will sell it to me for $29 and see what they say just out of interest.

mtelesha wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 pm
Roman Wisniak wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:27 pm Waves is a devaluated brand. What a stupid short time marketing strategy.
They are smart and are making a killing. Plugins are over priced and the only reason people get mad is that they believe they have a resale value. Plugins is like fashion sneakers, people put more value on things with higher retail price.
This. It's pretty safe to say that Waves are doing really fine.

Waves Central aside (which has improved a lot though over the years) I think there's not really much to dislike about Waves these days. Ace company with ace products and ace prices.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Happy Horizon and Abbey Road bundle user here (+ I also use some Sheps stuff). For me these are great sounding quality tools with easily usable GUIs. I bought the Horizon bundle for less than $200, now a good few years later I still think it was a great deal + the Abbey and the Scheps Omni Channel plugins are phenomenal - at least that's what I think -.
So answering the (ludicrous) title question, for me the waves plugins they worth way more than $0 :)

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:37 pm Some good posts here actually. Forget ever selling a Waves plug, it will never be worth it. It might, however, be worth a bit in upgrading a package. Upgrades are also available through resellers. However, I don't really have much issue with this - the worth is in what it does for you, not what you can get for it.
Funny you say that. It was actually more expensive for me to upgrade, than to buy the whole bundle, during the last bundle sale. The resellers were selling way cheaper than the prices on the waves website. I wrote them about it, and they said they won't undercut their resellers. I'm not complaining, just making an observation.

ozonepaul wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:32 am
So answering the (ludicrous) title question, for me the waves plugins they worth way more than $0 :)
I don't think it's so ludicrous. The resell value is 0$ whether we agree if that's how it should be or not. so my title isn't 100% wrong.

Return to “Effects”