Strange Orbit Detected [Trance] ... feedback welcome...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Feedback, suggestions welcome as always.
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... t-detected

Sounds really good but a little short for a "trance" track, don't you think? Or is this the hit single version? :lol:

Anyway, very well done.

Hey I dropped this progression on the Synthmaker forum about a decade ago, this is a without the lead tones version of it. Don't know if I still have it around though. :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:37 pm Sounds really good but a little short for a "trance" track, don't you think? Or is this the hit single version? :lol:
Thanks. I'm still in the 3-minute mindset. Trance can be a bit longer thats true.
Skupje wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:07 pm Hey I dropped this progression on the Synthmaker forum about a decade ago, this is a without the lead tones version of it. Don't know if I still have it around though. :tu:
Cool. Would like to hear it if you can dig it up.

Don't know what 'wives and girlfriends' (wags) is sniggering about.

Good idea building the track near the end with the ahead of the beat percussion etc and the riser to full stop.

For my taste it's a bit loud. A softer sound would help me to enjoy it bit more.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

For the most part, I like the track.

However, the build up starting at 2:11 doesn't convince me. The stabby synth starts off too loud, and I'm not sure the melody is timed right later on (might be the release tbh). Everything else sounds good, and I like the ending itself. It's that synth part that I'm unconvinced by, both by the sound and by its level in the mix.

sjm wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:29 pm However, the build up starting at 2:11 doesn't convince me. The stabby synth starts off too loud, and I'm not sure the melody is timed right later on (might be the release tbh). Everything else sounds good, and I like the ending itself. It's that synth part that I'm unconvinced by, both by the sound and by its level in the mix.
Thanks. I live-played the stabby synth. Then afterwards got lazy about quantizing everything. I will say its "organic" & "human" ! Or, just a bit lazy tbh. ; )
Aloysius wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:49 pm For my taste it's a bit loud. A softer sound would help me to enjoy it bit more.
Thanks. And I automated the volume to turn it down too - it was even louder originally! Those drums triggering do make the volume rise.

Nice full sound but yes perhaps just a bit overmastered. Makes each bit sound HUGE but becomes tiring as we have no breathing room.

The synth ostinato at the start is a Gary Numan line! Did you realize?

Yes, the second part is a bit loose and possibly a bit undirected (and perhaps unrelated to the first melodic part) which loses some of the power you were after.

Overall though, I like where you are going and then it just evaporates.

:-)

Benedict wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 am The synth ostinato at the start is a Gary Numan line! Did you realize?
Didn't realize that was a Numan. What song is it?
I was listening to a Numan song recently: Cars, maybe it was a subconscious influence!

The track has some very good parts but they are organized in a quite chaotic manner. E.g. the buildup at 2:11 was very unexpected and not in a good way, I thought at first it was some other track occasionally started playing in another browser page :)

Overall it has a potential to become a full-length trance track (7-8 minutes typically) but you may want to think about more smooth transitions between the parts. As it stands it sounds more like a collection of sketches, my own trance tracks may sound like that at a very early stage of arranging :)

Mixing seems good overall but the top end sounds quite harsh to me.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:03 pm Overall it has a potential to become a full-length trance track (7-8 minutes typically) but you may want to think about more smooth transitions between the parts. As it stands it sounds more like a collection of sketches, my own trance tracks may sound like that at a very early stage of arranging :)
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm still in the mentality where I aim for a 3-minute track, when I know Trance can be 5 mins+ easily.
Its an arrangement mindset thats not doing my any favours when it comes to Trance.

Bansaw wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:31 am
Benedict wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 am The synth ostinato at the start is a Gary Numan line! Did you realize?
Didn't realize that was a Numan. What song is it?
I was listening to a Numan song recently: Cars, maybe it was a subconscious influence!
He used it several times in the Pleasure Principle - Telekon era but you can hear it in "Films" from PP. A few people have sample sections from that era so not exactly out of line. I doubt he'd be gunning for you either way.

Benedict wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 am He used it several times in the Pleasure Principle - Telekon era but you can hear it in "Films" from PP. A few people have sample sections from that era so not exactly out of line. I doubt he'd be gunning for you either way.
I don't think he'll come after me either, but if he can prove a similarity between his track and mine, he can have 100% of my earnings from my track. ;)
Actually , great drums on "Films" by the way.

Bansaw wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:57 pm I don't think he'll come after me either, but if he can prove a similarity between his track and mine, he can have 100% of my earnings from my track. ;)
Actually , great drums on "Films" by the way.
The tracks really aren't similar at all so no dramas. It just stood out to me as an old Numanoid. If Gary heard this, he'd probably be more flattered than angry.

That period sounds so great as synths are largely played and the contrast with live drums makes for a vibrancy that goes awol with very rigid EDM programming.

Your mixing is pretty good. Some of the timing seems a bit off though. All in all I wpould listen to it on the outside.

Regars,
Le Attol

Return to “Music Cafe”