Any love for Dmitry Sches Thorn?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

SLiC wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am Not since it moved to PA, it has had no updates and no love.
PA is truly the graveyard for the development of plug ins.
Pretty sure PA only sell it; it’s still maintained by Dmitri. Boom.
I have the cut down CM version. It does what it does well.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Yes! You can get some really amazing, unique sounds from Thorn. It sounds great!! Check this audio demo - https://hearthis.at/newloops/new-loops- ... expansion/

I for one have a lot of LOVE for Thorn! And Diversion for that matter :)

Have 4 Soundsets for it.

A listen, https://youtu.be/cPFVZBUCELo
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 pm I for one have a lot of LOVE for Thorn! And Diversion for that matter :)

Have 4 Soundsets for it.
And I make music with his soundsets! :phones:

(these use the stock presets)

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/th ... -of-dmitry

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/th ... -the-world
Last edited by plexuss on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, nice! Thanks for your support and sharing your music :D

Which soundsets were used? Can I add these tracks to the demo showcases?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:00 pm Oh, nice! Thanks for your support and sharing your music :D

Which soundsets were used? Can I add these tracks to the demo showcases?
I'd have to open the projects and see. I don't remember, off hand. All of them! :)

Production qualityi is outstanding. How are you doing the drums? Are you sequencing those or are they loops (listening the lightest rose)?

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:42 am Production qualityi is outstanding. How are you doing the drums? Are you sequencing those or are they loops (listening the lightest rose)?
It's BFD3. I just pick a kit that sounds good, maybe change out some drums, load in some patterns and see where it goes. usually I load up a bunch of patterns and have BFD play them randomly. I will let BFD play them randomly and then for one of the last steps I will manually select rhythms in real-time using the key mappings, so the performance is more in context.

Finally purchased this during the latest sale ($74 with voucher). Been holding off because I really don't like the sound of Diversion, but Thorn does have a much more pleasant sound. Even just browsing the presets, I found several sounds that would be immediately usable, where as browsing the Diversion presets just made me want to cover my ears to protect them from the harsh, grating sounds. Also looks more fun and intuitive for designing your own patches.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:19 am Finally purchased this during the latest sale ($74 with voucher). Been holding off because I really don't like the sound of Diversion, but Thorn does have a much more pleasant sound.
I prefer Diversion's sound, but, that's highly subjective. :)

The "secret" in Diversion is, that you choose the sound type with a button..
Dull, normal and bright. Bright can be quite ear piercing.

I agree. I usually switch to normal... or... is it really called "dull"? :D

Just checked in the manual. It's "soft" not dull, hehe.

Dull :lol:
Written in hurry :oops:

I recently spent a few days culling factory presets on most of my softsynths distilling things down to the good 1s, which was pretty revealing and Thorn was one of a couple real pleasant surprises. I'd honestly neglected it after getting it on sale some time ago but should've known considering how I love and use Diversion that it'd have something to offer.

It also had one of the highest useful to not useful presets ratio of all my synths which probably speaks to the designers on the one hand but also to how much I like the sound of it. Cpu is manageable too if I don't get carried away, Diversion can be limiting in that way.

Hope Dmitry makes another synth at some point. Diversion 2 for example would be great.

I love DS Thorn. It's in my top 3 synths. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”