Halion ,... flagship or ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the Reply's

Just orderes H6 Crossgrade and Padshop Pro ,.. pending for checking eglibility

Finally decided after long time, due to the latest development at NI, and them being foggy about it,.

Kontakt was never the "real" sampler, more a platform for monopoly on format,..

In return for using some money on H6 ,.. I will now stop my updates on Komplete, anything NI, and even Library depending me on Kontakt ,.. this will be for a long time, maybe permanet, lets see

Yes I am fully aware Halion will not replace anything Kontakt/Komplete ,.. but time for new ways :wink:
HM

Halion 6 is quite capable already, but I've got a feeling we'll see Halion 7 around xmas-time (no inside knowledge btw)..
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

They did not manage to get a real community going yet. I think the move from letting third party libraries run free in SE is not so long ago and there is too little marketing happening. If they would offer free learning resources things might change...

I have Halion 6 and Kontakt 6 (have Komplete12), i would rather go for Halion 6 because working with Kontakt is not so intuitive and i dont like the library of Kontakt. Kontakt gets only interesting when i use 3rd party libraries (Heavyocity etc.) . Halion is a real powerhouse and i really like the unison mode and the arpeggiator in there. Dont know what will be the future of Native instruments but the news are not really giving me confidence to invest anymore into NI.

I absolutely love Halion 6 and I totally agree it has not the most ideal learning curve. However, with regards to "licensing" for sound developers, its an absolute dream. I am busy making a Halion Sonic SE instrument inside Halion 6, which means I can sell an instrument which anyone can use (Halion Sonic SE is free) without having to pay a fee (like I would need to do if I make an instrument for Kontakt Player). Halion 6 has a steep learning curve, but it can do so MUCH, its unreal. I also use UVI Falcon, Kontakt 6, Omnisphere etc etc but if I have to pick one, it would be Halion. If I had to pick 2 it would be Halion and Omnisphere...if 3 then it would be Halion, Omnisphere and Falcon :). It would be no problem to make a full track with those 3. It would probably be no problem to use just Halion to make a full track. To make sound libraries/instruments, I prefer Halion over all else.

HM wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:48 am ....
Just orderes H6 Crossgrade and Padshop Pro ,.. pending for checking eglibility....
Nice. Take your time getting to know Halion. Like anything new, it can seem daunting at first.
But the time you spend learning it will be time well spent.

Are there Halion users in Berlin? We could meet and learn together... Would be definitely more fun...

As a Halion owner, I think my biggest disappointment has been the lack of community around the product. When I'm at lunch I like to pull up video tutorials or walkthroughs of soft synths I own. I don't have as much time as I would like to spend in my studio these days and I find user vids to be a great way to get to know an instrument better and pick up tips and tricks I haven't discovered yet. Yes, I sometimes RTFM at lunch as well but watching something being used seems to stick with me better than reading through functionality. It seems like there are tons of videos for all things Spectrasonic, NI, etc. But the Steinberg stuff is usually very light by comparison in number of user videos. The majority are just the couple of vids Steiny puts out themselves.

What I have gotten out of it so far has been great but I know I have just barely scratched the surface. I need to just force myself not to use anything else for a while. The wavetable creator gave some very cool results.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

BassMasterK wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:50 pm As a Halion owner, I think my biggest disappointment has been the lack of community around the product. When I'm at lunch I like to pull up video tutorials or walkthroughs of soft synths I own. I don't have as much time as I would like to spend in my studio these days and I find user vids to be a great way to get to know an instrument better and pick up tips and tricks I haven't discovered yet. Yes, I sometimes RTFM at lunch as well but watching something being used seems to stick with me better than reading through functionality. It seems like there are tons of videos for all things Spectrasonic, NI, etc. But the Steinberg stuff is usually very light by comparison in number of user videos. The majority are just the couple of vids Steiny puts out themselves.

What I have gotten out of it so far has been great but I know I have just barely scratched the surface. I need to just force myself not to use anything else for a while. The wavetable creator gave some very cool results.
Sadly it's all too true. I think from the outset it's been marketed pretty badly. Mixing up the halion sonic name with the halion 6 name seems to get a lot of casual users thinking the whole halion thing is some knockoff kontakt rompler only. Halion 6 has so many strong points like sampling, the granular engine, powerful wave table manipulating etc that seem to get lost in its functional but lacklustre looking front-end making it a hard sell. Not that Steinberg seems to have advertised it much if at all. They only like to advertise the libraries for halion sonic.

Does it still require a usb dongle?

I've demoed it when I had Cubase pro. It is a very powerful platform. It has steep learning curve however.

It's tempting, now it's on discount when I'm logging on Windows! I would consider it if I didn't already have Komplete and Bitwig (which its sampler has similar abilities).

It does not require a dongle.

Hey Steinberg!

Why end a sale on a Thursday? In the US, we usually get paid on Friday.

I tried to contact you but got no replies.

#lost-sales

Thanks. The sale has ended and I couldn't decide if I really need it! Anyway, I can demo it for one month as it doesn't require a dongle.

felis wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 pm
HM wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:48 am ....
Just orderes H6 Crossgrade and Padshop Pro ,.. pending for checking eglibility....
Nice. Take your time getting to know Halion. Like anything new, it can seem daunting at first.
But the time you spend learning it will be time well spent.

Its been around 6 days now since my order and crossgarde-info from NI was send ,. still not received

History:

1. Order procces was high-jacked with a eglibility window, final payment on rest, I provided all proof, screendump of my account page on NI, serials, just as described by Steinberg

2. The procces was parked, pending, with no track of my order and thus no way to prove it was done in due time, (for the deals), or what products, very uncomforting, but the way it worked,.

3. After waiting I finally recieve a email claiming succes, but with contradicting info, and ref. to another mail/password that I never received, (spam-map etc. was checked obviously)

4. Use lots of time checking out, finaly give up, and get around the shady ask-way of support-tickets

5. They are not busy providing help, on the seccond day there is answer, but the answer clearly shows that they did not even read my message, or the original mail I quoted, the answer was useless nonsens, and I get a feeling that it was maybe a robotic answer, useless,..

6. Check out my account, every corner, still nothing, and still my original order is nowhere

7. I write a new support message

8. been waiting 3 more days now

Honestly, guess this is a sign to back of, and give up on Halion and Steinberg, (like I did many years ago when I migrated to Studio One, due to bugs and lack of support in Cubase), I would like to have given Steinberg a chance once again, with Halion, but it seems that everything is still the same,..

They don't realy whant new customers it seems

Another user did write about a similar case on the forum, I joined in with my story, both of us hoping for a little help, or at least an explonation I guess, all for no good, the flagship-forum is a ghost-town, populated foremost with unanswered questions, problems unsolved, and the screaming silence not to forget.

What a time-waste, what a careless lack of respect, but at least I didnt drain my credit-card yet
HM

They don't realy whant new customers it seems
... they even dont want their old customers:
i was waitin some weeks for their answer, that they reject a full documentation for halion-instruments ... there would be "too many updates" they really told me :dog: ... they believe in their politics (quality management would be a cost - for others) ...

Return to “Instruments”