The new Roland Fantom thread

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

... while there’s one for the Jupiter X and Xm?
Last edited by Fleer on Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fleer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:15 am ... while there’s one for the Jupiter X and Xm?
You just started one. So what's the story? ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

As an owner of roland-fa I don't see what the new fantom brings to the table that the fa series doesn't already have and justify the high price..

BertKoor wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 am
Fleer wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:15 am ... while there’s one for the Jupiter X and Xm?
You just started one. So what's the story? ;-)
Actually, I learned about the new Fantom 5 minutes after I started the Jupiter X / Xm thread. I figured someone else would do it within minutes :hihi:
I'm surprised Roland want to release a new Fantom and get back in the workstation field. It's hard to kick the Kronos and the Montage off the piedestahl at the moment.

Old home keyboards are the best :party:

It's heavy :neutral:

I'm happy to see standard style pitch bend and mod wheels in addition to Roland's pitch/mod control.

But the price tag is a serious commitment. I'm still squeezing juice out of my XP60!

Bippo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am As an owner of roland-fa I don't see what the new fantom brings to the table that the fa series doesn't already have and justify the high price..
The FA-series is fantastic for it's price point,but I've been waiting for something better to come along and the new Fantom is it for me(better screen,key-bed,overall build quality,stellar synth sounds and an all around versatile machine.)

K-Bee wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:10 pm
Actually, I learned about the new Fantom 5 minutes after I started the Jupiter X / Xm thread. I figured someone else would do it within minutes :hihi:
I'm surprised Roland want to release a new Fantom and get back in the workstation field. It's hard to kick the Kronos and the Montage off the piedestahl at the moment.
The Kronos is king,in terms of an all-in-one recording studio in a keyboard...but I really love Roland's flash memory-based set up.Essentially,the Kronos is a mobile PC with keys(lousy boot-up times)....whereas the Fantom is instantaneous plug & play.

By the way...though the Montage does have a stellar beefed up DX7 engine within it...I would still have to assert,that the Fantom does kick the Montage off of the pedestal(as the synth sounds are equally as impressive,but also...the Fantom is an incredible workstation for song production...whereas the Montage fails miserably,in this area.)

there is
viewtopic.php?f=102&p=7516024#p7516024

Thanks, almost thought there wasn’t one.

AlesisVi61 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 pm
K-Bee wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:10 pm
The Kronos is king,in terms of an all-in-one recording studio in a keyboard...but I really love Roland's flash memory-based set up.Essentially,the Kronos is a mobile PC with keys(lousy boot-up times)....whereas the Fantom is instantaneous plug & play.

By the way...though the Montage does have a stellar beefed up DX7 engine within it...I would still have to assert,that the Fantom does kick the Montage off of the pedestal(as the synth sounds are equally as impressive,but also...the Fantom is an incredible workstation for song production...whereas the Montage fails miserably,in this area.)
I have both the Kronos and a MODX which has the same sound engine as the Montage. The FM engine aside, the Kronos just sounds so much better. I've done a whole lot of comparing. You're right about the boot-up time though. It's painful. Maybe it's because it's a PC :lol:
I'm not on the market for a Fantom. It really has to convince me if I am to sell my Kronos/MODX.

Checked out the Fantom 6 today. That’s an awesome sounding, looking and feeling board. Plus it seems the bottom board is metal, or at least more so than the one underneath the Fantom 8.

Bippo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am As an owner of roland-fa I don't see what the new fantom brings to the table that the fa series doesn't already have and justify the high price..
-Zen core : culmimation of pcm +va thrown in , meaning
-real osc sync ( both for V.A. and pcm sync )
-pulse width on NON square waveforms ..
-Extended crossmodulation
-A physically modelled piano ( iow no samples )
-A stereo analogue filter
-Superior buid quality
-New updated effetcs

just to name a few
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I'm into my second week of learning the in's & out's of my new Fantom 6 and I'm having a blast! It's a beast in many regards, especially in its synth capabilities...just WOW! It's expensive yes, but nothing about it gives me any reservations about my purchase. Great product, and it's only going to get better with future updates :wink:
Software: Logic Pro X - Omnisphere 2 - Spire - Synthmaster - BIAS Desktop - Alchemy 2
Gear: iMac 27" - Zoom Tac-2 Thunderbolt Interface - Presonus Studio Monitors - M-audio Midi Controller x2 - Guitars

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”