macOS Catalina : software notarization ... ?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xhunaudio wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 pmbut that simply won't pay on the long-term.
Actually it will! In a few years, users will talk about how macOS apps are more optimized than Windows versions and people will buy macs even more. Just look at Final Cut Pro X vs Adobe Premiere performance difference...

Please don't encourage them. 😁

Youlean wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:03 pm Apple doesn't care about developers anymore because the devs will do anything to be on their system. That's why they are removing support for OpenGL and doing other stuff too.

Removing the OpenGL support will be a significant cost for many companies since they will be needed to switch to Metal, but it will improve the general performance of the GUI on the macOS and its apps, so the end-user wins, like with the notarization.
users are moving to win
just saying

They are removing OpenGL? Apple is just full of idiots... They try to make things easier for themselves and just don't think on more than 1 year future... They can always deprecate their crappy stuff...

Btw. if OpenGL is dead, how will you support older OSX?? Metal is there from El cap, but many are using yosemite or older. So now we are supposed to create binaries and implementations for 2 different kinds of OSX??...

Apple just doesn't care about the audio community whatsoever (or maybe they are just stupid). They probably want those lumberjacks, who spend time browsing internet and uploading shit to instagram, they have the money to buy that crap every year after all...

Sorry :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 pm
Youlean wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:03 pm Apple doesn't care about developers anymore because the devs will do anything to be on their system. That's why they are removing support for OpenGL and doing other stuff too.

Removing the OpenGL support will be a significant cost for many companies since they will be needed to switch to Metal, but it will improve the general performance of the GUI on the macOS and its apps, so the end-user wins, like with the notarization.
users are moving to win
just saying
They should since new macs are peace of crap in terms of reliability. Just watch the Luis Rossman on YouTube. :)

The actual PROs should know that the macOS is no longer for them. Apple is targeting the regular consumer and that consumer doesn't mind upgrading their OS every year.

The general rule is that Apple supports last 3 releases of their macOS. You can't even legally download the older OS anymore. Actually, I did buy 10.7 and 10.8 recently, but they didn't send me the activation code and I called their support bit still nothing. It was 10 times easier to fire up the uTorrent... :x

Trying keep to get back on topic. Are .component .vst and .vst3 files required to be signed and or notarized?

That's pretty much unclear. On one hand, it seems that DAWs must "guarantee" for plugins.. but on another hand, it looks like all software needs to be notarized. I'm trying to install Catalina on a VM, but it's trickier than expected

I'm waiting until Catalina release and will buy an external SSD to test everything. The VM way for macOS is too slow and inconvenient IMO.

AAX needs to be notarized, so I guess we need to notarize other plugins as well.

Youlean wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:31 pm AAX needs to be notarized, so I guess we need to notarize other plugins as well.
I can't notarize PKG installers. Will try with .component etc. files later this week.

So, basically this notarization process consists in notarizing JUST THE BINARIES, AFTER they have been compiled. It's NOT something that has to be done at compile time from source code / compiler settings... Right?
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

AFAIK yes, there are tools for that on both XCode 10 GUI as well as command line. I have seen a bash script to automate the process too.

Thank you ,
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

About the notarization (from Presonus):

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... y-plug-ins

Youlean wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:51 am I did buy 10.7 and 10.8 recently, but they didn't send me the activation code and I called their support bit still nothing.
Where did you manage to do that? Only 10.7 could be purchased back in 2011, and it was exclusively available in the Mac App Store. Every subsequent macOS upgrade was free. Would really love to know where you thought you could legitimately purchase 10.7 / 10.8 these days?
Confucamus.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”