Xhun Audio : ResonHeart - mechanical synthesizer - updated to version 1.0.7 (sound design toolkit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ResonHeart

Stunning! :)

tatanka wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:56 pm From the descriptions I have read from time to time I thought it would be much more, ähmmm "strange" and I am really glad it is NOT ...
Don't say it too soon ! :)

The first ResonHeart prototype (one year ago) was really, really, stupidly large and complex. It involved also the main turbulence to be sent through additional sets of parallel bore/tubular resonators, free reeds, air reeds, single reeds and double reeds.

After I assembled everything, I suddenly noticed that the whole system was too much "unfocused", the sound generated by the reeds and pipes was in "conflict" with the sound from universal Helmholtz resonators (the 2 sections were overhanging each other). But the most insane aspect was the end-user experience for sound designing. :dog:

So I started a long finishing process. Now the sound/tone generation is much, much more clear, keeping the synthesis possibilities very similar to the original "untamable monster".

Now the user interface (it's a one-section only) in part resembles the arrangement you can find on a modal/additive synthesizer. So it is much less "strange" than the first prototype. But...

I !*STRONGLY*! recommend to read the included manual (explaining each single parameter function) specially to learn how to properly balance the action of the modulators sections (for UHR pressure and tuning control).

Something in ResonHeart resembles a standard synthesis system interface - but for other aspects, a look at the operative manual is mandatory in my opinion.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

Dont scare me :o

Fair warning :lol:

gotta say this is very interesting - even if it doesn't appeal to me when I try it, I really admire the exploratory approach you are taking.

tatanka wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 am Dont scare me :o

Fair warning :lol:
Don't be scared, the "untamable" parts have been cut off... :)

fairlyclose wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 am gotta say this is very interesting - even if it doesn't appeal to me when I try it, I really admire the exploratory approach you are taking.
ResonHeart development has been very enjoyable indeed...

How is it coming along? :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

For me the most interesting part of physical modeling is to play it with expressive controllers, as it would always play with nuances. The sound example was more a mechanical one, and did not sound that different than what you could do even with subtractive synthesis (the most limited one)... I bet the final results will be more complex. You should definitely get a Seaboard or a LinnStrument to get an hands on experience of MPE... (I don‘t touch anything anymore missing that, its just too much fun...)

@Halonmusic
It's (finally) completed.

@Tj Shredder
Yes maybe I could be more expressive in the audio demo. In some parts I would give the idea of an automated "steam-machine-like" :) , in other parts I had been more expressive (the main "air-orchestra" theme).

By the way if you wish you can be more expressive than me :) , the tone generator can be modulated using also key follow, key velocity, mod wheel, etc. and all parameters come MIDI CC# mapped for realtime tweaking. Take a look to the manual (when it is out) or take a brief read to my previous posts on this thread, I described how the instrument is internally arranged - it may be useful.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm You should definitely get a Seaboard or a LinnStrument to get an hands on experience of MPE... (I don‘t touch anything anymore missing that, its just too much fun...)
I wouldn't mind turning my Seaboard into a Steamboard :hihi:

Imagine powering a pedal or a pump just by pressing the aftertouch up and down, taking into consideration some resonance, which will pump the air into your model... A bit like a bow of a string, no sound if you don't move the bow. In this case, no sound if you don't pump...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:30 pm Imagine powering a pedal or a pump just by pressing the aftertouch up and down, taking into consideration some resonance, which will pump the air into your model... A bit like a bow of a string, no sound if you don't move the bow. In this case, no sound if you don't pump...
Harm Visser did some incredible physical modeling patches for AAS Tassman where the mod wheel is used as the exciter for bowed patches..."exciting" if ResonHeart follows a similar path...

I’m very excited to try this out. Would also love iron axe to be Mac-compatible, and even perhaps some bass register ranges. :)

Winstontaneous wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:46 pm ..."exciting" if ResonHeart follows a similar path...
It's very difficoult to say by words (usually 1 image = 100 words , having a play with the instrument = 2000 words), but, while not specifically using the "simultaneous-multi-action-to-emit-1-voice" path that you described (the idea is it should be *easily playable* as, for example, a pipe organ is) ResonHeart can reach that same or similar result too.

Pressing any key activates the main pump BUT, if the resonator's PRESSURE control is set to zero, no sound is produced (this case means the main pump is effectively emitting the air turbulence, bit the Helmholtz resonators' embouchures are closed).

By modulating that PRESSURE control (with a knob or a breath controller for example) that result can be easily reached. The PRESSURE control can be also automated (contour/envelope or swing/LFO) and/or assigned to key velocity / keyfollower. All assignments are bi-polar.

All this applies 100% also for UHR tuning and (partially) for the main pump/motor.

I am definitely intrigued by this... can't wait to try it out!

Return to “Instruments”