The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:This is all kindof irrelevant really anyway, to me it's nothing to do with expectations or 'entitlement' (although tbh I don't like to use that word, it's almost invariably used by the smug and 'superior'), just when someone posts hey we finally heard from this guy we haven't heard from in god knows how long and he posted a download link and says he may be updating the thing it seems rather natural to say, if you didn't get that email, hey I didn't get that email.
While disappointing that not all owners got the email, I’m sort of confused why people would assume that someone who isn’t organized enough to balance his full time work and side gig is suddenly organized enough to ensure the email list he sends out to is comprehensive and fully populated.

This is just “a dude” somewhere trying to find his way and clearly messing up, not some mega corporation trying to screw you over.

chk071 wrote:
Seventh7 wrote:
chk071 wrote:I have no idea why you'd think such a comparison would be valid for software. Is a burger getting a update to taste better, or fit in your mouth when eating it? I don't think so. And, of course, the price shouldn't affect the quality of support either. I'd expect from a reasonable developer that he calculates for himself how much decent support would cost him, and calculate it into the asking price. $27 and STFU is not a valid option, i'm afraid.
Does every plugin really require support? Really?
Yes, it does. Really. Software is a complex thing, and, errors ARE going to happen, especially when you develop multiple formats, for multiple operating systems.

Just ask yourself: If the plugin doesn't work for you at all, or you are having issues with it, or you are even having issues activating it, if there happens to be an activation of some kind, wouldn't you be grateful, if you could contact the developer, and ask him for help? Wouldn't that make the whole product look more professional, if the developer isn't the "give me your money and scram" kind of guy? I can only talk for myself, but, i don't like to throw money out of the window, or blast it into some greedy guy's throat.

And, if he can't provide support for $27, he shouldn't sell it for $27. As simple as that.
So if I get Joe Blow’s DAW version 0.3 beta, I should demand support of The Mangle’s developer when it doesn’t work? At what point does it end? Part of it is on you for operating on the fringes to begin with. Compatibility should be a huge factor when selecting your DAW of choice. If it doesn’t work and he won’t respond, contest the charge with your credit card or PayPal. There’s never been a better time in history for being protected from being screwed as a consumer of goods.

Besides, the whole point of the VST spec is standardization... to ensure it *will* work despite countless environmental differences. When programming to a well defined spec, software isn’t as touch and go as you make it out to be.

Seventh7 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:This is all kindof irrelevant really anyway, to me it's nothing to do with expectations or 'entitlement' (although tbh I don't like to use that word, it's almost invariably used by the smug and 'superior'), just when someone posts hey we finally heard from this guy we haven't heard from in god knows how long and he posted a download link and says he may be updating the thing it seems rather natural to say, if you didn't get that email, hey I didn't get that email.
While disappointing that not all owners got the email, I’m sort of confused why people would assume that someone who isn’t organized enough to balance his full time work and side gig is suddenly organized enough to ensure the email list he sends out to is comprehensive and fully populated.

This is just “a dude” somewhere trying to find his way and clearly messing up, not some mega corporation trying to screw you over.
Why are you assuming anyone is assuming anything of the sort?

Seventh7 wrote:When programming to a well defined spec
Spotted the guy who's never looked at the VST SDK. :hihi:

Dozius wrote:
Seventh7 wrote:When programming to a well defined spec
Spotted the guy who's never looked at the VST SDK. :hihi:
You can be a smart ass but in truth I’ve never had a problem with a plug-in. Never needed support. For anything. I use a common DAW and it all just works. Don’t know what to tell you guys. It’s not too complicated to maintain a well running machine and install plugins and have them work without major issues that prevent you from doing what you want.

And worst case, if a $27 plugin did completely fail, I’d recognize that the plugin works for most people, so something unique to my environment is at fault, and not go out of my way to start attacking the software in general.

Don't know how you got all that from my jab at the poorly documented VST spec, but OK since I am here.

Keeping a well maintained machine and using software from competent developers goes a long way, but this won't prevent a piece of software with bugs from doing shitty things. Even the best developers don't get it perfect. Especially in a niche, cross platform market like audio plug-ins. It is hard, even for seasoned plug-in developers to get things right across the wide range of setups out there. This is why support in the software world is a big deal. If you can't do support, you really have no business selling software. Period.

For what it's worth, I agree it's not worth moaning about $27 dollars. I am even one of the people that has a strong case to moan, since I had to give up using the mangle because it became horribly unstable a few builds before release. I had a good email exchange going to fix the bugs, but then the dev pushed out the official release build and bailed. I'm sad that I can't use it and sure I am a little annoyed the developer did a hit and run, but I just moved on. I occasionally peek into mangle threads to see if there is an update or something, but I have zero hope. Life is short, I got other shit to do. :)

I purchased The Mangle as beta v0.7b in 2014. The dev promised that I receive the free update to the final version. Never received any notification. Wrote him three e-mails. No reply. Now I am stuck with v0.7b beta. Can anyone send me the full version? I will prove with my original v0.7b download link (which is still active and displays my full name on the download website), that I am a legit owner.

I purchased and dowloaded The Mangle 6/9/2019. I received an e-mail thanking me for my purchase and a download code..Following the instructions exactly I loaded the mangle into Ableton 10 live suite 64 bit. On checking my plugins folder there it was Mangle 64. After loading it to a track I found what I had was the Demo version which after much pushing of buttons I got a preset to work but not without faults. Thinking I had made a mistake I reloaded the product taking screen shots of the process..Result..No change except I was unable to load a preset. I loaded a sample which again after much prompting was able to play but not without obvious faults. 5 times I tried the process of installalation. Same result. I e-mailed Tom at Sound Guru for advice. No reply..After contacting KVR explaining the problem, today I received notification via KVR to the effect that. Tom has abandoned the project as he now has a job and could not cope with the number of e-mails he received. However it would seem he can cope with accepting money for the product and generating a reply thanking you for purchasing the Mangle and including a download code + instructions. This is totally out of order and has left me angry..I intend taking steps via Paypal for reimbursement of the money..So be warned if you are thinking of buying any product from Sound Guru..

Atco wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm I purchased and dowloaded The Mangle 6/9/2019. I received an e-mail thanking me for my purchase and a download code..Following the instructions exactly I loaded the mangle into Ableton 10 live suite 64 bit. On checking my plugins folder there it was Mangle 64. After loading it to a track I found what I had was the Demo version which after much pushing of buttons I got a preset to work but not without faults. Thinking I had made a mistake I reloaded the product taking screen shots of the process..Result..No change except I was unable to load a preset. I loaded a sample which again after much prompting was able to play but not without obvious faults. 5 times I tried the process of installalation. Same result. I e-mailed Tom at Sound Guru for advice. No reply..After contacting KVR explaining the problem, today I received notification via KVR to the effect that. Tom has abandoned the project as he now has a job and could not cope with the number of e-mails he received. However it would seem he can cope with accepting money for the product and generating a reply thanking you for purchasing the Mangle and including a download code + instructions. This is totally out of order and has left me angry..I intend taking steps via Paypal for reimbursement of the money..So be warned if you are thinking of buying any product from Sound Guru..
I feel sorry for you, totally sucks. But yep, this is typical Tom and his abandoned Mangle. Too bad you didn't search and check beforehand cause this is no secret, it has been discussed over here many, many times.

Atco wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm I purchased and dowloaded The Mangle 6/9/2019. I received an e-mail thanking me for my purchase and a download code..Following the instructions exactly I loaded the mangle into Ableton 10 live suite 64 bit. On checking my plugins folder there it was Mangle 64. After loading it to a track I found what I had was the Demo version which after much pushing of buttons I got a preset to work but not without faults. Thinking I had made a mistake I reloaded the product taking screen shots of the process..Result..No change except I was unable to load a preset. I loaded a sample which again after much prompting was able to play but not without obvious faults. 5 times I tried the process of installalation. Same result. I e-mailed Tom at Sound Guru for advice. No reply..After contacting KVR explaining the problem, today I received notification via KVR to the effect that. Tom has abandoned the project as he now has a job and could not cope with the number of e-mails he received. However it would seem he can cope with accepting money for the product and generating a reply thanking you for purchasing the Mangle and including a download code + instructions. This is totally out of order and has left me angry..I intend taking steps via Paypal for reimbursement of the money..So be warned if you are thinking of buying any product from Sound Guru..
Yeah, pretty much. Hopefully, if there are enough complaints, Paypal will shut him down. This is really a shame because the non demo version works fine (on my end anyway) and it's really the best granular synth out there. But Tom has REALLY dropped the ball on this thing.

Worst part is, he probably doesn't even care at this point.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:50 pm This is really a shame because the non demo version works fine (on my end anyway) and it's really the best granular synth out there. But Tom has REALLY dropped the ball on this thing.
Depends on your point of view. I own many granular synths and I don't feel it's 'the best' at all. Fun, sure but far away from the best imo. It's been surpassed by many other great ones I think. (and especially since we know it's abandoneware now and still buggy and half baked. Cannot be the best in my book for these reasons)

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:50 pm This is really a shame because the non demo version works fine (on my end anyway) and it's really the best granular synth out there. But Tom has REALLY dropped the ball on this thing.
Depends on your point of view. I own many granular synths and I don't feel it's 'the best' at all. Fun, sure but far away from the best imo. It's been surpassed by many other great ones I think. (and especially since we know it's abandoneware now and still buggy and half baked. Cannot be the best in my book for these reasons)
Like you said, depends on your point of view. I own Padshop Pro and HALion 6 and, IMO, neither is as good. I also have a few Reaktor based ones. Also not as happy with them.

But sure, if the thing is buggy (Mine isn't) then yeah, you're not going to be happy with it.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Bottom Line: I would not trade The Mangle for any other granular synth that I own.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm
Like you said, depends on your point of view. I own Padshop Pro and HALion 6 and, IMO, neither is as good. I also have a few Reaktor based ones. Also not as happy with them.

But sure, if the thing is buggy (Mine isn't) then yeah, you're not going to be happy with it.

Bottom Line: I would not trade The Mangle for any other granular synth that I own.
I suggest to give Audio Damge Quanta a try. It sounds very good and can sound as rich and buttery smooth as Mangle, its workflow is much better in term for playability and creativity. And the best: it's still supported & updated :hihi:

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:06 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm

I suggest to give Audio Damge Quanta a try. It sounds very good and can sound as rich and buttery smooth as Mangle, its workflow is much better in term for playability and creativity. And the best: it's still supported & updated :hihi:
For a hundred bucks? Yeah, no thanks.

So you can still by a beta with no support and further updates on SoundGuru webpage? That is pretty lame: Maybe change his name to MoneyGuru to reflect the reality a bit? LOL
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Return to “Instruments”