The Mangle (SoundGuru), is it still alive ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JoaquinAce wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:39 am i have v1.1.1 and it works fine. Maybe I got lucky.
same here, bought it in June, so lucked out too. Pretty cool machine.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:46 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:42 am
wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:24 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 pm Quanta, glitchmachines palindrome and new sonic arts granite are the best I can think quickly.
I have Granite (won it in their raffle) and don't like it at all. The sound is harsh and it doesn't have near the flexibility of other granular synths.
It's silky smooth drone machine :tu:
For you maybe. Not for me.
Can add not often mentioned kontakt based Granulate 2 (now at 20% sale btw).
(About Granite - i had not a very good feelings too)

Added
About Quanta - not t a bat thing but during tried demo it seemed to me as good for pads (and only for it), but bad for clean single "scan", due to some specific character of his reading algo.

I forgot I even had this. Any chance someone will do libraries for the Mangle?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Ah I forgot.. Granular in Reason is very nice too.

v1o wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:07 pm I forgot I even had this. Any chance someone will do libraries for the Mangle?
I did a library for it.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... 50-samples

Atco wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm I purchased and dowloaded The Mangle 6/9/2019. I received an e-mail thanking me for my purchase and a download code..Following the instructions exactly I loaded the mangle into Ableton 10 live suite 64 bit. On checking my plugins folder there it was Mangle 64. After loading it to a track I found what I had was the Demo version which after much pushing of buttons I got a preset to work but not without faults. Thinking I had made a mistake I reloaded the product taking screen shots of the process..Result..No change except I was unable to load a preset. I loaded a sample which again after much prompting was able to play but not without obvious faults. 5 times I tried the process of installalation. Same result. I e-mailed Tom at Sound Guru for advice. No reply..After contacting KVR explaining the problem, today I received notification via KVR to the effect that. Tom has abandoned the project as he now has a job and could not cope with the number of e-mails he received. However it would seem he can cope with accepting money for the product and generating a reply thanking you for purchasing the Mangle and including a download code + instructions. This is totally out of order and has left me angry..I intend taking steps via Paypal for reimbursement of the money..So be warned if you are thinking of buying any product from Sound Guru..
If you were previously using the demo did you delete the VST from your plugins folder first? The full installer may not be overwriting it.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:20 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:18 pm Hmm think i'll just spend my money elsewhere then.
Smart decision.
:tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Working fine in Ableton 10 here, just checked the old Mangle thread, the issue was brought up that the full installer doesn't overwrite previous installs

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm Ah I forgot.. Granular in Reason is very nice too.
Yes,cool thing, especially spectral mode.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:07 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:06 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:50 pm This is really a shame because the non demo version works fine (on my end anyway) and it's really the best granular synth out there. But Tom has REALLY dropped the ball on this thing.
Depends on your point of view. I own many granular synths and I don't feel it's 'the best' at all. Fun, sure but far away from the best imo. It's been surpassed by many other great ones I think. (and especially since we know it's abandoneware now and still buggy and half baked. Cannot be the best in my book for these reasons)
Like you said, depends on your point of view. I own Padshop Pro and HALion 6 and, IMO, neither is as good. I also have a few Reaktor based ones. Also not as happy with them.

But sure, if the thing is buggy (Mine isn't) then yeah, you're not going to be happy with it.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Bottom Line: I would not trade The Mangle for any other granular synth that I own.
I suggest to give Audio Damge Quanta a try. It sounds very good and can sound as rich and buttery smooth as Mangle, its workflow is much better in term for playability and creativity. And the best: it's still supported & updated :hihi:
For a hundred bucks? Yeah, no thanks.
But it´s really good. Going down all the granular-way you will need Crusher-X anyway. No way around :)
Cheers

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 pm Quanta, glitchmachines palindrome and new sonic arts granite are the best I can think quickly.
Quanta: good and quick to work with
Palnindrome: absolutely amazing - a kind of it´s own

Top of the Iceberg: Crusher-X

:party:

nichttuntun wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:17 pm
Top of the Iceberg: Crusher-X

:party:
+167

Especially since, and that a lot of people don't know, it can also be used as a synth by loading in it samples and not just used an insert incoming audio effect.

Hey, I've come across a simple problem which I'd like to know about.
I'm running the VST (tried 32 and 64 bit), plugin version 1.1.1, in Reaper 6, and it only seems to be mono output – the panner does nothing, which really sucks when trying to make soundscapes and creepy effects. Moving the panner manually does nothing, as does using an LFO on it, and I can see that the master meters only show a dual mono signal coming from the track – it's definitely not working.
I could do panning automation on the track, but I'd really like each grain to have its own position in the stereo field, rather than just moving the whole signal around.
Have you noticed this? I'm just running around now trying to find answers – has anyone else got this bug? Am I doing something wrong? Have you got a workaround (that isn't having loads of instances of the vst doing the same thing, with each one panned somewhere different)?
Cheers!

I just did a google search - I'm sure you did, as well, and I don't see any issues with this type of problem with Reaper. Sounds odd, though. No help, I know (but this is your first post - it should be responded to, for crissake!).

sandeben wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:47 am Hey, I've come across a simple problem which I'd like to know about.
I'm running the VST (tried 32 and 64 bit), plugin version 1.1.1, in Reaper 6, and it only seems to be mono output – the panner does nothing, which really sucks when trying to make soundscapes and creepy effects. Moving the panner manually does nothing, as does using an LFO on it, and I can see that the master meters only show a dual mono signal coming from the track – it's definitely not working.
I could do panning automation on the track, but I'd really like each grain to have its own position in the stereo field, rather than just moving the whole signal around.
Have you noticed this? I'm just running around now trying to find answers – has anyone else got this bug? Am I doing something wrong? Have you got a workaround (that isn't having loads of instances of the vst doing the same thing, with each one panned somewhere different)?
Cheers!
The panner works for me, for random panning per grain which is excactly what I expected. Version 1.1.1 here too, VST2. Windows 10, Reaper 6.08. Provide us some screenshots so we perhaps could find some clues to something peculiar on your end.

Anything mysterious going in multiparameter setup perhaps? Just trying to think what could be causing it when it's always worked for me.

Return to “Instruments”