Tonstrum Whoosh vs. UVI Whoosh vs. Anything Else?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tonsturm Whoosh (https://tonsturm.com/software/whoosh/) is available for $60.00 on sale right now. I just checked out UVI Whoosh FX (https://www.uvi.net/whoosh-fx), with is about $40.00 dollars more on sale right now. The Tonstrum one works on Reaktor Player (I just got the free NI stuff), and it allows one to put in one's own samples (as opposed to using only the given samples). The UVI requires the UVI Workstation (which I understand is free), but it does not allow one to put one's own samples in it . Still, I saw a thread saying putting one's own samples in the Tonstrum one requires decent knowledge of Reaktor--that might be dated information--is it difficult? The UVI one does come with more samples--maybe it is that I could not come up with better samples to use if I tried?

Both can do the cinematic type stuff. While I would enjoy tinkering with that sort of thing, I'm more wanting it for making transitions in electronic music. For sure I can whoosh without these, but it is an issue of time and quality (the demo sounds are great). Can one of these fit this purpose well?

UVI also has a riser device Meteor, and there are riser devices for Kontakt or Reaktor, too (Rise and Fall I've read about). These seem similar--at least I would think they could share a lot of the samples for their purposes. Couldn't these devices be combined? Are they just milking it?

UVI Whoosh FX can be played as an instrument--anybody give it a go?

Are there other plugins that you use that work well for whooshes and risers? Any effects designed for this (maybe LFO Tool would work well)?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I think what you really need is Air Riser.

Oh, that's only $20.00 right now--hmm. It's a synth that doesn't use samples, but I got to check it out.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Depends on how much time you have/want to spend on these types of sounds. I have both Meteor and Whoosh FX and if I want something that sounds great, have little time to "make it my own", I use my UVI instruments/libraries. I can make minor changes and I have my own unique, quality sound. If I want to spend time crafting from scratch (and have time available to do so), then I use different types of colored noise and synthesis.

Return to “Instruments”