Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Ploki
KVRian
837 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:58 am

https://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_strings.php
https://audiomodeling.com/solo-strings/ ... gs-bundle/

these two one friends now foes vendors have very much competing tech, anyone compared the two?

metaside
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Oct, 2012

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:08 am

Afaik Samplemodeling products are just traditional sample-based Kontakt instruments, so if you don't have an MPE controller or can't play well, maybe get those. SWAM stuff is physical modeling (or something close) and awesome to play with MPE, but has similar limitations in terms of polyphony as compared to real instruments, so if you have an MPE controller and want something behaving close to a real instrument, get those.

Oberheim 8000
KVRist
204 posts since 1 Feb, 2014

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:43 am

Samplemodeling use too some modeling. It is definitely not traditional sample-based.

Samplemodeling strings sounds better (for me) and even it have sections. I don't have them, but what I was read about it, you can not control how many players are play in unisono (only three options, small, mid and big size).

Audiomodeling solo strings sounds decent. If I know, new update is coming and there is plan for ensemble strings. Unfortunately solo strings not sounds so good as Samplemodeling, when they play as ensemble. They are good as solo, and even as solo not sounds allways good. But I like the technology and I think it have future.

Btw. no need MPE. It can sounds good with traditional midi kayboard with modwheel and you can allways draw other controls in DAW. For example, this is imported from sibelius in to reaper and I draw all expression, presure and vibrato control with mouse:
https://soundcloud.com/oberheim8000/mau ... ng-strings

Ben H
KVRAF
2105 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 am

Ploki wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:58 am
https://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_strings.php
https://audiomodeling.com/solo-strings/ ... gs-bundle/

these two one friends now foes vendors have very much competing tech, anyone compared the two?
What do your ears tell you? ;)
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ploki
KVRian
837 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 am

Ben H wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 am
What do your ears tell you? ;)

would have to demo them both i guess. :D

Ploki
KVRian
837 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 am

metaside wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:08 am
Afaik Samplemodeling products are just traditional sample-based Kontakt instruments, so if you don't have an MPE controller or can't play well, maybe get those. SWAM stuff is physical modeling (or something close) and awesome to play with MPE, but has similar limitations in terms of polyphony as compared to real instruments, so if you have an MPE controller and want something behaving close to a real instrument, get those.
I have MPE, but i was under the impression that both are part samples part models.

pitch bending in kontakt is a pain in the ass and if it's not programmed like that out of the box it doesn't work. (octave pitches sound like garbage when samples are stretched)

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
51909 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 am

Ploki wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 am
Ben H wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 am
What do your ears tell you? ;)

would have to demo them both i guess. :D
this guy gets it!
:)

metaside
KVRist
121 posts since 11 Oct, 2012

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:55 am

Ploki wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 am
I have MPE, but i was under the impression that both are part samples part models.
The SWAM instruments I bought are like 6MB each, so I think that stuff is not really sample-based in a traditional sense. But no idea really, for me it only matters that the SWAM instruments are great to play with MPE controllers. Tested it with Seaboard and Linnstrument and it's a lot of fun.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6958 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:52 am

Sample modeling stuff is great with mpe controllers too as there is lots of expression parameters.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Ploki
KVRian
837 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 am

except pitch bend in kontakt

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6958 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:39 am

Ploki wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 am
except pitch bend in kontakt
pitch bend works fine in kontakt with mpe controllers. What do you meaan?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
2670 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:42 am

I would guess they are comparable in quality. I own all the swam stuff and everything SM made for Kontakt before the strings. They use similar approaches to controlling/ programming/ performing.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ben H
KVRAF
2105 posts since 28 Jul, 2003

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 pm

metaside wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:55 am
Ploki wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 am
I have MPE, but i was under the impression that both are part samples part models.
The SWAM instruments I bought are like 6MB each, so I think that stuff is not really sample-based in a traditional sense. But no idea really, for me it only matters that the SWAM instruments are great to play with MPE controllers. Tested it with Seaboard and Linnstrument and it's a lot of fun.
The Audio Modeling (SWAM) Strings are entirely physically modeled. They use NO sampling whatsoever. The Winds and Saxes use a hybrid approach, but NOT the Strings, which are powered by a different engine.

"The Solo Woodwinds family powered by SWAM-W Engine."
"The most realistic and expressive solo string instruments on the market, powered by SWAM-S Engine."

The Samplemodeling Strings (as well as all their Kontakt-based instruments) use a HYBRID sampling/modelling approach.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ploki
KVRian
837 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:39 am
Ploki wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 am
except pitch bend in kontakt
pitch bend works fine in kontakt with mpe controllers. What do you meaan?
If it's not scripted well in the instrument, when you assign it yourself, it stretches samples and sounds... well, like stretched samples. :)

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6958 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Sample Modeling vs Audio Modeling strings?

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 am

Ploki wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:39 am
Ploki wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 am
except pitch bend in kontakt
pitch bend works fine in kontakt with mpe controllers. What do you meaan?
If it's not scripted well in the instrument, when you assign it yourself, it stretches samples and sounds... well, like stretched samples. :)
Well yeah Kontakt is a sampler so pitch bend will always repitch samples. Works fine for vibrato and small bends like most instruments would do like a few semi-tones. But sure, it's not good for octave or multi-octave bends like a trombone or slide guitar.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Return to “Instruments”