How do you decide/choose the Synths to replace your current ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to know how you all choose your new synths what are your criteria's for switching up.

Is it synthesis method,features,or old nostalgia of an emulated synth from the past?

right now my method is features, i am finding that all these synths are all the same clones of each other just different make-up on the same girl lol.

what i mean is that they are all capable of making bass,lead,and pad sounds so the only difference i find are does it come with built in FX ,or sample playback(rom/pcm style) combinations before adding it to my collection.

what drives you to buy ?

xenophobic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 pm I want to know how you all choose your new synths what are your criteria's for switching up.

Is it synthesis method,features,or old nostalgia of an emulated synth from the past?

right now my method is features, i am finding that all these synths are all the same clones of each other just different make-up on the same girl lol.

what i mean is that they are all capable of making bass,lead,and pad sounds so the only difference i find are does it come with built in FX ,or sample playback(rom/pcm style) combinations before adding it to my collection.

what drives you to buy ?
Addiction.

I create a topic in the instruments forum asking people to tell me if Synth X is worth for me to buy. Simple.

A mighty space cat comes down from the skies and tickles me with a furry paw. That's when I know..

I usually don't replace synths I already own. I only buy best things once I check them 10 times thorough.

Salesmen hate me, I know :help:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

replace? what means this?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

xenophobic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 pmright now my method is features, i am finding that all these synths are all the same clones of each other just different make-up on the same girl lol.
Do you listen to them? Do they all sound alike?
Really? I don't know how that works. How, for example, do you equate the features in Aparillo with those of Synthmaster One? They have practically nothing in common.
what drives you to buy ?
Sound first, then ease-of-use. I don't really care about features, beyond making sure the basics are covered. My most recent purchase, Monoment Bass, is the perfect example - it is really pretty basic, with a fairly standard architecture, but it manages to sound quite different to a lot of my other synths so I felt it was worth picking up and I've found a few uses for it already.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I only replace hardware. When I stop using software it goes back to the same nothingness it came from.

I pick new software mostly by features now.
First thing I look for is if it can use release velocity as a
mod source in a matrix, so that narrows down the field considerably.
Sound is a major factor, of course. And I also consider whether I'm
already overloaded with a particular synthesis type.

xenophobic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 pm I want to know how you all choose your new synths what are your criteria's for switching up.
Usually when Dan Worrall makes a video about it...

It varies though - sometimes I'm after a different synthesis method (additive, fm/pm, etc), sometimes the feature set surpasses what I already have, and sometimes 'ooooh shiny' (mostly the last one to be honest). At the moment, I have more than I can eat, but it's good to have a choice - sometimes dusting down an old(er) VST can be inspiring.

I don't replace anything, they sit in the vst folder, waiting patiently...

Honestly I should exercise more care and concentrate on mastering a small number of synths rather than trying anything that sounds cool. Like, I downloaded HY-Mono after I sold my Telemark, but I sold my Telemark because I wasn't doing anything much with it in the first place, so why bother?

Wave table, additive, subtractive, and FM synthesizers of some sort? Maybe research the ones that best fit you in each category. Or find ones that can do multiple types well. Maybe a granular synth would be useful to you as well.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Replace? I’m still using some old synths. Got most everything covered except wavetable. If i were to buy anything at this point it would be Zebra. And nothing would be replaced, just added. My GAS wore off long ago, time to learn to use what i have.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Instruments”