I'm too perfectionist and spend 6 months - 1 year in avarage to complete songs. Am I alone? Hey,

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dasen wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 am until I'm happy with the result.
Actually, do you have a soundcloud link or something that we could listen? Then we could bash your music and tell you if it's worth that one year perfectioning :hihi:

not all punk was the pistols ;)
they where as you say, very good at their instruments (sid excluded) and it showed. but listen to a lot of damned, the clash and so on. see any of them live and some of them didn't even play the right songs. but it was marvelous, there was energy.

and that in turn pushed boundaries that perfectionists would rebel against and so on, my point was not to say one way is better, but that all sides are equal, and we have to find our own way.

no point me telling you that you should do it like me, you're not me, and of course, the reverse is also true :tu:

It took a long time to start sessions in earnest for NMTB, but it was actually recorded in a relatively short time, including quite a bit of layered overdubs. The band weren’t convinced that they should use any overdubs until Chris Thomas played them the first Ramones album and pointed out how much guitar Tommy Ramone had overdubbed.

I think it came together pretty quickly, but mostly due to how tight of a guitarist Steve Jones is. It’s an open secret that Sid Vicious couldn’t cut it on bass, so Steve Jones played bass guide tracks, but they were so good that the final bass playing is all Steve Jones (although it’s disputed that Sid’s bass playing was kept for Bodies).

Basically that album succeeded because of a great producer, great engineer (Bill Price), and a very competent guitarist.

… and the vocals are awesome imho. cookie the drummer was rock solid. these guys were no slouches.

@ Vurt: I agree :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

It’s probably not true in general that ‘punk’ bands were not good musicians, as I saw some that were really great live.

I’ve also seen some really terrible bands live that had reputations for being good musicians.

Forgotten wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:47 pm It’s probably not true in general that ‘punk’ bands were not good musicians, as I saw some that were really great live.

I’ve also seen some really terrible bands live that had reputations for being good musicians.
im not saying they weren't good musicians, but they chose to "rough" it for aesthetics, just that they never necessarily strove to be fripp level virtuoso :)

It’s ready when you don’t need to run through a list of excuses as to why it would’ve been better if only...

as in i dont see vai or cobain doing very well standing in for each other :hihi:

i saw vai once. what a boring show that was. :zzz:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

vurt wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:55 pm as in i dont see vai or cobain doing very well standing in for each other :hihi:
I’d put money on it working out fine in at least one of the directions ;)

Aloysius wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:58 pm i saw vai once. what a boring show that was. :zzz:
passion and warfare tour by any chance?
#metoo!
but i saw him with the whitesnakes too, and they let him have a half hour widdle and that was pretty cool.
but the paw was too long, without much upbeat none widdle anywhere to break it up :shrug:

@vurt In general, no. But then you get people like Captain Sensible, Dave Greenfield, JJ Burnel, Mick Jones, Tom Verlaine, etc. who played things rough edged, but they played stuff that was far from easy. ‘Punk’ really wasn’t just one approach to music, it was many different ones.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:58 pm i saw vai once. what a boring show that was. :zzz:
I reckon the best time to have seen him would’ve been just after ‘Passion and Warfare’ was released. Getting to hear that awesomeness mixed in with Flex-able...Priceless!

I still prefer him over all other guitarists in that genre :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:59 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:55 pm as in i dont see vai or cobain doing very well standing in for each other :hihi:
I’d put money on it working out fine in at least one of the directions ;)
well in that one could still actually turn up.

but vais tone and style in a nirvana track?

and yeah, he could probably get close, but i honestly dont think he would ever sound right. hes been playing "perfect" for so long that im not sure his fingers would even allow it :lol:
ps: stop being picky you know what i meant :cry:

Vai once said that his favorite album he ever played on was Album by PIL.

Probably one of his least widdly performances ever.
Last edited by Forgotten on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Production Techniques”