2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dangayle wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 pm My GAS has officially run out of funds. Polyend/Dredbox Medusa on Guitar Center's used website for $800. Really looking forward to the Medusa.
That's a great price on the Medusa. I paid £850 for mine last year ...
It's a shame you're not getting on with it better. Have you done the latest update?

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:54 pm
dangayle wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:54 pm My GAS has officially run out of funds. Polyend/Dredbox Medusa on Guitar Center's used website for $800. Really looking forward to the Medusa.
That's a great price on the Medusa. I paid £850 for mine last year ...
It's a shame you're not getting on with it better. Have you done the latest update?
Yeah, I updated it. I’ve very torn by it. The FM filter is awesome, the pads are awesome. I don’t like how the voices are allocated, their midi implementation is non-standard, it just feels *almost* there but not quite.

My Red Panda Tensor finally arrived, it seems to enable me to leave the room while jamming with myself without anyone even noticing.
These pedals are smarter than me, I swear I hear them plotting late at night, the cats are giving me strange looks too - I should have stuck to kazoos, ukuleles, and my collection of modified Barbie dolls.

cptgone wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:25 pm These pedals are smarter than me, I swear I hear them plotting late at night, the cats are giving me strange looks too - I should have stuck to kazoos, ukuleles, and my collection of modified Barbie dolls.
Tensor is really disturbing when you think about it. I mean, there's just a Spin FV-1 chip in there, so how has the damn thing achieved sentience? I hear that it wrote its own manual, and the part where it says it can't actually time travel is a lie.

foosnark wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:26 pm Tensor is really disturbing when you think about it. I mean, there's just a Spin FV-1 chip in there, so how has the damn thing achieved sentience? I hear that it wrote its own manual, and the part where it says it can't actually time travel is a lie.
...and still I had to wait 3 months :x

because it travelled 3 months in to the future!

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 pm because it travelled 3 months in to the future!
Damn, it's always a few steps ahead. I'm still alive though, I think it needs me to pay the rent. It doesn't come with a wallet, you see. The day they release a Tensor with matching wallet, mankind will be doomed.

Got my ES-3 and ES-6 today. It's pretty great passing stereo feedback loops back and forth between Euro and Bitwig, modulating plugins with CVs, etc.

It annoys me a little that the ES-3 has the lightpipe jack closer to the top, but the ES-6 has it near the bottom... I may have to flip one upside down :hihi:

finally ordered my supercell.

now to look at some 2hp modules to fill that row :hihi: may end up with some boring util. although the company 2hp make some more interesting stuff at that size too. the pluck might be fun...

Thinking about getting either an Empress or an H9Max.

Or maybe even a 1010 Blackbox, though I already have a Bitbox in my modular.

Opinions sought...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

supercell incoming, expected tomorrow :hyper:

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:38 pm supercell incoming, expected tomorrow :hyper:
It's a fun module :)

Turns out I can't flip the ES-3 upside-down because the ribbon cable between the two modules is too short. There are some 90-degree TOSlink adapters though that might ease the annoyance there.

Expert Sleepers just announced the ES-9. It's basically everything I have now, but cheaper in total, doesn't also take up a separate 1U rack unit, and all the IO is DC-coupled. But there's no level control for the main outputs, which is weird. Also I guess putting more load on my Eurorack PSU wouldn't be the best idea.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 am Thinking about getting either an Empress or an H9Max.

Opinions sought...
My internal debate has been H9Max or ZOIA, so I'm right there with you.
I have a PitchFactor and Space and I know that I love the sound of Eventide effects but the ZOIA has the modular approach I prefer. My normal reaction would be "just get both, decide which works best and sell the other..." but I have spent my annual gear budget already, so most likely, I will be getting neither. I guess I will just have to enjoy the stuff I have. lol

of all of those zoia is on my list.
nothing wrong with the others of course, but zoia offers more in a small package, good for journeys on buses 8)

plus a soma ether.
nice little package for out in the sticks :tu:

justin3am wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:28 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 am Thinking about getting either an Empress or an H9Max.

Opinions sought...
My internal debate has been H9Max or ZOIA, so I'm right there with you.
I have a PitchFactor and Space and I know that I love the sound of Eventide effects but the ZOIA has the modular approach I prefer. My normal reaction would be "just get both, decide which works best and sell the other..." but I have spent my annual gear budget already, so most likely, I will be getting neither. I guess I will just have to enjoy the stuff I have. lol
Yeah, its the ZOIA I meant, and may win out. Because modular....
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”