One Synth Challenge #127: Any One u-he Synth (Carl_saved wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

qoyl wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:57 pm In these challenges are we not allowed to bounce to audio / manipulate the audio further?
No sampling or resampling is allowed. The audio needs to come from the MIDI and you can't freeze/bounce even for consistency. You can however process the audio using FX plugins (delays, reverbs, eq etc.) while it's being outputted from the synth, but manipulation in terms of stretching, chopping up etc. is not allowed.

The only use case for allowing bouncing/freezing is freezing the entire tracks/channels to save CPU.

exponent1 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 pm
qoyl wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:57 pm In these challenges are we not allowed to bounce to audio / manipulate the audio further?
No sampling or resampling is allowed. The audio needs to come from the MIDI and you can't freeze/bounce even for consistency. You can however process the audio using FX plugins (delays, reverbs, eq etc.) while it's being outputted from the synth, but manipulation in terms of stretching, chopping up etc. is not allowed.

The only use case for allowing bouncing/freezing is freezing the entire tracks/channels to save CPU.
Alright thanks I guess I will have to backtrack on my song a bit to account for that. What about using tool / utility devices from your DAW for gain staging?

qoyl wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 amWhat about using tool / utility devices from your DAW for gain staging?
Pretty much all volume automation methods are allowed, since you can achieve the same result by just automating track volume.

Deleted, redundant

exponent1 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Sometimes I record the audio directly from the output of the synth channel. It captures the performance and is a straightforward procedure, no need for any midi programming. Also, I almost always bounce the midi to audio, just to be done with it and commit to a sound (also to save cpu sometimes, avoid vst crashes and reduce loading time for a project). Nothing wrong with this, I hope?

Bojo34 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:31 am Sometimes I record the audio directly from the output of the synth channel. It captures the performance and is a straightforward procedure, no need for any midi programming. Also, I almost always bounce the midi to audio, just to be done with it and commit to a sound (also to save cpu sometimes, avoid vst crashes and reduce loading time for a project). Nothing wrong with this, I hope?
Nothing wrong with it as long as you leave the bounce of the track just as it is - (equivalent to freezing a track) :tu:

EDIT: someone explained it better, didn't notice the answers

Bojo34 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:31 am Sometimes I record the audio directly from the output of the synth channel. It captures the performance and is a straightforward procedure, no need for any midi programming. Also, I almost always bounce the midi to audio, just to be done with it and commit to a sound (also to save cpu sometimes, avoid vst crashes and reduce loading time for a project). Nothing wrong with this, I hope?
As long as you're NOT mangling the bounced audio further, it's perfectly fine. Although it's advisable to retain the midi in the highly unlikely scenario of your project file being inspected for any discrepancies.
OSC might request project files at any time. Failure to produce it upon request will lead to disqualification.
(intellectual property respected with file used for examination only and destroyed immediately afterwards)
The official rules regarding samples:
No use of samples, sample libraries or live sounds (like voice, guitar etc allowed).
However, for convenience or CPU saving, synth bouncing are allowed but only where the EXACT same result could have been achieved using the original synth: - This means that for example pitching and reversing is not allowed; sampling a bass drum in order to get a consistent sound is not allowed either.
Samplers used must be host samplers or freeware and easily available.

More Clarification: Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW (i.e. after bouncing a track or a stem). For example: One cannot master the audio in another software or service. Also, If you need more performance / CPU a workaround is to freeze all the tracks.

Thanks for the replies, I think I get the picture, pretty obvious rules. I'm kinda fond of the U-he free instruments, I'll see what I can come up with.

I have a couple of questions:
1) Are we allowed to use convolution reverbs (since they are sample based technology)?
2) Are all TripleCheese oscillators allowed to use (since there are bowed oscillators on this synth)?

MrKarolus wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:41 pm 1) Are we allowed to use convolution reverbs (since they are sample based technology)?
2) Are all TripleCheese oscillators allowed to use (since there are bowed oscillators on this synth)?
1) Yes if you're using them for reverb (e.g. not using them for other convolution sound design purposes)
2) If you're using a synth, you can use all features of the synth (except sampling)

Thanks for quick response, z.prime!

Yup. Triple cheese … lots of possibilities … useful presets here as starting points too. Many have not altered some of the various mod options between their presets, so some mods may either be wrong or not required.

https://u-he.com/PatchLib/tc.html

HTH

My triple chees track is coming on nicely now …

dB

https://soundcloud.com/user-533161206/o ... d-forsaken

Bazille CM in Bitwig Studio 3

15 Tracks
26 Instances of Bazille CM

Bitwig Effects:
EQ-5
Compressor
Delay-1
Delay-2
Delay-4
Chorus
Reverb
Tool
Dynamics
MultibandFX-2
MultibandFX-3

3rd Party Effects
TDR Nova
Limiter No6
iZotope Ozone Imager
OTT
Melda MLoudnessAnalyzer

Mastering Chain:
Multiband FX-3 and FX-2 to split into 4 bands, iZotope Ozone Imager to control stereo field.
TDR Nova for EQ
TDR Nova for Dynamic EQ
Limiter No6 Compressor -> Soft Limiter -> Brickwall Limiter
MLoudnessAnalyzer to -14 LUFS
Last edited by XeonKnight on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here is my contribution:

https://soundcloud.com/user-818040229

u-he Podolski
Reaper stock plugs
A1TriggerGate by Alex Hilton

Return to “Instruments”