Roland Jupiter X and XM (new synths)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A Roland synth thread turns into one about African snails....only on KVR!! :lol:

K-Bee wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:34 am A Roland synth thread turns into one about African snails....only on KVR!! :lol:
Well, I know which I find more interesting... :D

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:56 pm Turns out the African Land Snail is extremely poisonous ... It can kill humans and fish.
The good thing about snails is that they are easily outrun. I find the attitude to Australia quite strange. We don't have bears. FFS, bears! Those things can tear your freakin' head off. The only thing I've ever worried about in the bush is rats. Common, garden variety Rattus Norvegicus, probably brought here from England. They'll chew through your tent and your back-pack to get at your food and I know people who have woken up with them in their sleeping bags. f**k that!
unlike all your spiders, you would notice a bear under the dunny seat before you sat down ;)

jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:30 am
K-Bee wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:34 am A Roland synth thread turns into one about African snails....only on KVR!! :lol:
Well, I know which I find more interesting... :D
maybe roland should do a "gastropodx" synth?

vurt wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:58 amunlike all your spiders, you would notice a bear under the dunny seat before you sat down ;)
I've been sitting on dunnies for 60 years and not encountered a spider yet, even when we had an outhouse.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

proves my point, they're better at hiding in there. youd have noticed a bear.

POS 'synth' from modern Roland. :dog:

What's new?

A disgrace to their heritage, their name and their users/fans.

Anyone tried out or have thoughts on the Skulpt vs Microfreak? I am liking those those sounds on the Skulpt demos. I just can't decide if its over priced for what it is. It's priced the same as a microfreak.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Looking further on some youtube vids I have to agree with those thinking X/Xm - looks boring.
Seems like you basically have a button for each of Rolands most popular legacy synths - and can layer them.

So a mixing box or those more or less.

Still no manual out for Xm - so was not able to see if anything in crossmodulation you can do - on each within itself.

Looking closely at JD Xa and System-8 at beginning of year I was disappointed in the end as well.

Looking at Jupiter X/Xm, Korg Prologue and Prophet Rev2 - Rev2 is my fav right now. 4 LFO's and loads of crossmodulation stuff to find new timbres. And well thought out crossmod section that is easy to as touching a knob and it's a source or destination. Seems almost Clavia Nordlead level to boost creativity.

Rev2 is my fav right now.
Great synth. I'm constantly learning new stuff about it. Still, I need to use it a bit more in my tracks :roll:

Quick ~30min expierience with Jupiter Xm

So i had an oppurtunity to play with Jupiter Xm and its great, sounds just like Roland Cloud. It wasnt hooked to computer so couldnt test the multitimbrality, but it had some multipatches. But the controls felt unintuitive and because of lack of time i couldnt dive more in depth. Keyboard kinda like Microkey keys. But its ok, i had microkeys before and they are totaly fine. If you like roland cloud sound you wount be dissapinted.

Personal notes

for me Jupiter-8, Juno-106, and SH-101 separations are not needed because SH is way too limited for other big brothers and tbh Jupiter and Juno gap is just not that huge that id rather just have 3 jupiters :D same with the drum machines, just a bit unnescesery.
Before going to play with Jupiter, I played around with Deepmind 12 by making some sounds on them and i must say i was not impressed with Jupiter Xm at all, even slightly dissapointed. It just lacked that agressive tone i liked about Deepmind 12 and intuitive control.

The question is...if it sounds like Roland Cloud, is all you get a hardware box with knobs and keys? You can subscribe to roland Cloud for quite a while (around 10 years) for the price of a XM.

K-Bee wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:49 am The question is...if it sounds like Roland Cloud, is all you get a hardware box with knobs and keys? You can subscribe to roland Cloud for quite a while (around 10 years) for the price of a XM.
To me it sounded like Roland Cloud. Also why it should sound different? the only way i imagine it could sound different is because of added DACs: Roland output to your soundcard input.

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:38 am
vurt wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:58 amunlike all your spiders, you would notice a bear under the dunny seat before you sat down ;)
I've been sitting on dunnies for 60 years and not encountered a spider yet, even when we had an outhouse.
not surprised. if I was a spider, and saw your fat arse looming over me, I'd hide up too!

I'm tempted by the X, for my first hardware synth, after reading a book which suggest i get a hardware synth. I gotta save for it first, which will take a while.

I have a question: Can the faders be used for midi controller? I understand the keyboard can be used for midi controller, but not sure about the faders. Thanks.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”