Any thoughts on the Eventide SP2016 reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

s28 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:44 am
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:39 pm It's amazing, I wanted the hardware for over a decade until the Eventide plugins came out. It's the only non-Valhalla reverb I use now. It's absolutely worth the money, it's the best "almost invisible ambience generator" I have ever heard. :)
I'm also using just valhalla, vintage verb and not room. I tried the sp2016 last night after seeing this thread and it does sound excellent. The small spaces it can create are really nice - couldn't get the same thing going on in vintage verb.
I am a beta tester for Valhalla so have them all. Was chatting with Sean on Twitter recently about 2016, he said VRoom might come closest, but that it's algorithms, despite being of the same type, were also different enough that you probably couldn't get very close. These days I mostly only ever use VVV too, and feel the 2016 is a fabulous complement to that. They are very different, neither really does what the other one can. :)

Fleer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:28 am If not using the plates, would there be any reason to upgrade from SR2016 (Stereo Room)?
I have both the Eventide 2016 plugs. Sound wise they were almost identical enough (when the SP2016 is in Stereo Room mode) for me to have ditched the older Stereo Room. But SP2016 not only gives you two other algorithms (Room and Plate) but also lets you select Vintage or Modern voicings, which really do sound quite different. So you go from 1 algorithm to 6, basically. Whilst I do mostly use the Stereo Room algorithm, the other two are also great and well worth having, and were both featured in the "reboot" hardware from 15 years or so back. Apparently those three were consistently the most favoured from the original 80's box. Fingers crossed they might even add more to the SP2016 plugin in future?

Long way of saying, yes, I definitely think it's worth upgrading from Stereo Room to SP2016, the GUI is much nicer too.

That's why i hoard quite a few reverbs by now... they all sound different. Like synths.

Just like with other things in music and sound, you can get scarily used to a certain sound as well... e.g., i found Little Plate to sound very good, before i compared it to R2 once, and realized how muffled, and lo-fi Little Plate sounds compared... you really have to take care that you're not getting used to a certain sound. Unless you like that certain sound, of course. :D

Does anyone know what the upgrade costs for owners of the previous version?

As far as i know, there is none. It's a completely new plugin.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:52 am As far as i know, there is none. It's a completely new plugin.
Yes, it's new plugin. But I can recall that there was an upgrade option for owners of the old 2016 Stereo Room, when the new SP2016 was introduced. Maybe that offer was only for a limited time / introductory period?

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:47 am Does anyone know what the upgrade costs for owners of the previous version?
Crossgrade is $29 if you have Stereo Room in your ilok account.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:11 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:47 am Does anyone know what the upgrade costs for owners of the previous version?
Thank you!

Agree with most the other posters here, very easy to work with and dial in some nice ambiance. One of the other things I like about both 2016 verbs is the position slider/knob, great for pushing things back in the mix, for a soft focus, sense of depth type of effect, prefer the sound of sp2016 out of the two. T-verb is also very nice for larger rooms and smaller halls, although I rarely use it.

Ooh... sorry for the wrong info then. I didn't remember that.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:53 pm
Ooh... sorry for the wrong info then. I didn't remember that.
No worries - I only know because I did the crossgrade thing yesterday :)

Direct Crossgrade Link iLok account name at the ready! :tu:

s28 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:44 am I tried the sp2016 last night after seeing this thread and it does sound excellent.
Hmmm.... Eventide should give me a kick-back of a few bucks, to shave off the price tag a bit!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all replies so far and for the JRR link. :tu:
Last edited by SparkySpark on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I have all Relab plugins, do I get anything with buying SP2016 thats not covered by Relab?

Thanks Russell and HM :tu:

Super price!

Return to “Effects”