New mixer recommendations

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The presonus that looked interesting feature and bang for the buck to me (but would need lots more study afore I would buy one twere I in the market) are the 16, 24, and 32 channel rack mixers. All inputs of which are combo jacks for either quarter inch or xlr, very compact, and on the surface seem to have nice useful feature set.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-mixer

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-mixer

They support USB and avb audio interfacing. My ignorance is vast about the avb. Sounds great to just connect an Ethernet cable between interface and computer and forget about FireWire or USB or Mobo cards or whatever.

But the light searching I did on the avb I gather only a few spensive Macs can natively do it and I will do without a computer before I will give apple any more of my money. It's just a geezer's grudge and they took decades to earn such a solid rank on my shitlist. :)

So far as I could see from quick Google getting a win10 box setup to connect avb to one of those presonus might be as expensive as the silly mixer itself but maybe it is easy and cheap and I just didn't see the right webpage.

But anyway even if avb wouldn't be workable then apparently USB is also an option.

I do a lot of study before buying anything. Though the presonus rack mixers look promising I wouldn't get one without first doing lots of homework.

I had seen that Presonus have AVB interfaces but I'm embarrassed to say I don't know much about them. Embarrassed because I have some very good friends who work at Presonus in Baton Rouge.
I also have no experience with AVB in Windows. On the OSX side setup was very easy, though you do need a proprietary AVB switch if you want to stack interfaces (which I plan to do). It's definitely not the cheapest way to go but one of my main goals was having audio interfaces which can be accessed by more than one computer on my network.

Also take a look at Dante interfaces if you are interested in audio over ethernet. Dante is more widely supported from what I understand but companies who use Dante have to license the technology from the third-party, which adds to the price.

I'm just lucky that MOTU came out with a solution that perfectly matched my needs. I've been a MOTU fanboi ever since I was laid off by AVID. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:00 pm I'm just lucky that MOTU came out with a solution that perfectly matched my needs. I've been a MOTU fanboi ever since I was laid off by AVID. :lol:
It's been a long time since I got a Motu audio interface but got another Motu multiport midi interface last year and recently ordered a little 2 port Motu midi interface for occasional laptop use.

All the Motu hardware I had was well made and worked good.

In fact so far as I know I still have every Motu box I ever got and they all still work even though the old boxes are long-obsolete for use with new computers. New computers don't have the right kind of ports anymore for the Motu antiques. :) Which is not motu's fault. Just sayin...

Just been too cheap to buy a Motu audio interface lately. Seemed to me if new computers make old interfaces obsolete after a few years, sure it's nice if the expensive interface might last for decades, but what's the point unless you plan to also curate antique computers to host the antique interfaces? :)

Long ago digital performer was my favorite daw for years. But I didn't like pace. After retirement around 2012 was tempted to buy in to winders digital performer, but in the end decided I hate pace even more now than way back when, so bought reaper instead. Figgered if reaper didn't do I could still hold my nose and put up with pace to use DP, but so far reaper is good enough for what I've been doing, and it doesn't use pace. :)

If DP had been only light serial number protected like reaper, no damn pace, I woulda just paid the $500 or whatever for DP in 2012 and never tried reaper in the first place.

Hey Rob, did you ever get your hands on that STVC? It seems like vapourware - everyone lists them but nobody actually has any to sell.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am Hey Rob, did you ever get your hands on that STVC? It seems like vapourware - everyone lists them but nobody actually has any to sell.
Nope it's not ready yet Bones.. Stefan is keeping me updated about it tho. It'll definitely happen I'm told :tu:

Wow, that's a very long gestation period. I'm hoping if it goes OK they might do something similar for Rocket. A 37 key Rocket with patch memory would be my dream synth.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Not sure if you've solved this yet Rob, but I have a UFX 2 with a pair of ADA8200's and it's a rock solid solution. 30 ins and outs and latency to die for.

You could always get a 16 channel mixer with direct outs later if you really felt you needed one and route it through the ADATs

tehlord wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:17 am Not sure if you've solved this yet Rob, but I have a UFX 2 with a pair of ADA8200's and it's a rock solid solution. 30 ins and outs and latency to die for.

You could always get a 16 channel mixer with direct outs later if you really felt you needed one and route it through the ADATs
Was looking at the Soundcraft MTK22 it's just for doing live stuff really. The RME stuff looks absolutely fantastic but very expensive. Mainly wanted a mixer for hands on control and mixing of hardware synths Geoff. Maybe in the future I'll delve in to the RME stuff. The Behringer ADA8200's look pretty good too for the price :tu:

ADA8200s are great.

I had an MTK22 as well but had to decide on the MTK or the RME, and the RME offered more inputs....which I need right now.

MTK22 is big though, and heavy. Make sure you have the room. Oh, and I'm not convinced they'll keep up with driver support either.

The Tascam Model 24 looks good too, but also allows you to record 24 channels to the onboard SD card to stay outside the DAW for recording, you can also route the SD card back into the desk for analogue mixdowns as well. That's probably the one I'll go for if I buy another desk.

tehlord wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:35 pm
The Tascam Model 24 looks good too, but also allows you to record 24 channels to the onboard SD card to stay outside the DAW for recording, you can also route the SD card back into the desk for analogue mixdowns as well. That's probably the one I'll go for if I buy another desk.
Been looking at that one too Geoff yeah the MTK looks a bit big, wonder what spec the Tascam is I'll go take a look shortly

There are other options like the A&H ZED 420 which has direct outputs per channel. You could use that for live mixdowns, but also have it feed discrete channels in your audio interface/ADAT setup later.

tehlord wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 pm There are other options like the A&H ZED 420 which has direct outputs per channel. You could use that for live mixdowns, but also have it feed discrete channels in your audio interface/ADAT setup later.
You got me thinking about the RME + x2 ADAT''s now lol :tu:

rob_lee wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:36 pm Is this the one you mean Geoff?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/recording/a ... -interface
Yeah that's the one I have. If you connect a pair of ADA8200's as well you get 28 line ins. They also do the RME 802 which offers similar connectivity for a bit less money.

The UFX is my third RME interface though, and it's difficult to go back to using anything else afterwards as the drivers are so rock solid, and they'll still be supporting the thing in 10 years.

tehlord wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:43 pm
rob_lee wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:36 pm Is this the one you mean Geoff?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/recording/a ... -interface
Yeah that's the one I have. If you connect a pair of ADA8200's as well you get 28 line ins. They also do the RME 802 which offers similar connectivity for a bit less money.

The UFX is my third RME interface though, and it's difficult to go back to using anything else afterwards as the drivers are so rock solid, and they'll still be supporting the thing in 10 years.

Looks like I wouldn't need anything else if I got the RME and x2 Behringers, i'd be set for the next 10yrs as you say.
What's the mix software like? I'll be buying a new Mac mini shortly, a 6 core i7 I think they're USB 3.
A nice little rack would be preferred over a big mixer tbh. These RME interfaces look like they're built like tanks. I nearly went for a MOTU 16a the other day but my heads been turned with what you have.

Oh and I fancy either a Prophet Rev16 or an OB6 desktop too :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”