Project: Queen For A Day

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
24984 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Doesn't sound anything like Queen imho.
There is definitely a seventies kind of thing going on there.
There is an immediately apparent professionalism to what you're doing, from the very first note. Could be you're very experienced or alternatively you've copied some old song arrangements.
Something odd about your vocal sound. Something odd about the mix.
Your voice can carry a tune. If recorded and/or mixed properly, I'd enjoy listening to it more.
I love the 'backing vox' effect. I'd like to know how you achieved it.
The lyrics are pants.
Hi-de-Hi!

User avatar
McLilith
KVRAF
1997 posts since 7 Jul, 2003 from Huntington, WV

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:11 pm

The vocoder lines definitely add to the ELO flavor. If I were to ever publish a song with my vocals on it, you can expect all those vocals to be vocoded, because I can't sing nearly as well as you. ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I'm also getting a bit of a Jim Steinman feel from this.

Overall, I like it. :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

AnX
KVRAF
5580 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 pm

not bad actually, i wouldnt say it sounds anything like Queen or ELO tho. The vox is prob the best part (tho the vocoder parts could do with more sustain)

the rest sounds a bit "midi file" to me. Not very natural. I think a good string arrangement would fill it out nicely.

overall vibe is that is sounds quite English, and a bit like a TV theme tune...

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
1200 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am

Nooo!! Don't do ELO!!! I am a huge 70s fan and love all those records from the era, but ELO was one band who's output I hated. I don't know why. Maybe its because they sounded like a sensationalist Beatles rip off. I would rather take Ferrari's dog song over ELO music. At least they didn't pretend to be anything more than they really are and you got what you see from them.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytaDh6yxHrw[/youtube]
Last edited by telecode on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Gear: Mac Mini 2008 model, i7, OS X 10.13.x (High Sierra), 16gb RAM, Cubase 10.5, Cubase 9.5, Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Arturia, Komplete 6, Komplete Ultimate, lots of guitars and lapsteels

AnX
KVRAF
5580 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:55 am

telecode wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am
Maybe its because they sounded like a sensationalist Beatles rip off.
he was a big fan, i think he wished he was the 5th Beatle

ELO did some good tunes tho, Livin' Thing is great 8)

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
1200 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:08 am

AnX wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:55 am
telecode wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am
Maybe its because they sounded like a sensationalist Beatles rip off.
he was a big fan, i think he wished he was the 5th Beatle

ELO did some good tunes tho, Livin' Thing is great 8)
I was (and still am) a big fan of the Jeff Lynne productions of the late 80s/early 90s. I also saw some very very early ELO performances online and I was very impressed with how they sounded in early stages. Sort of T-Rex meets early Fleetwood Mac during the Peter Green era. But the later ELO records just sounded too polished and commercial for my tastes. What can I say. I am guy who wears Ramones and Todd Rundgren t shirts..:(
Image

Gear: Mac Mini 2008 model, i7, OS X 10.13.x (High Sierra), 16gb RAM, Cubase 10.5, Cubase 9.5, Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Arturia, Komplete 6, Komplete Ultimate, lots of guitars and lapsteels

enCiphered
KVRist
491 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:20 am

telecode wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:08 am
What can I say. I am guy who wears Ramones and Todd Rundgren t shirts..:(
Oh, come on dude! This is so old school!!

This is what cool people wear today:
Image

\m/

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
1200 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:33 am

enCiphered wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:20 am
telecode wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:08 am
What can I say. I am guy who wears Ramones and Todd Rundgren t shirts..:(
Oh, come on dude! This is so old school!!

This is what cool people wear today:
Image

\m/
I am not cool. I am old. I am fuggin 100 years old!
Image

Gear: Mac Mini 2008 model, i7, OS X 10.13.x (High Sierra), 16gb RAM, Cubase 10.5, Cubase 9.5, Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Arturia, Komplete 6, Komplete Ultimate, lots of guitars and lapsteels

enCiphered
KVRist
491 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:36 am

:D

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17423 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Wagtunes Production Music

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:07 am

Aloysius wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 pm
Doesn't sound anything like Queen imho.
There is definitely a seventies kind of thing going on there.
There is an immediately apparent professionalism to what you're doing, from the very first note. Could be you're very experienced or alternatively you've copied some old song arrangements.
Something odd about your vocal sound. Something odd about the mix.
Your voice can carry a tune. If recorded and/or mixed properly, I'd enjoy listening to it more.
I love the 'backing vox' effect. I'd like to know how you achieved it.
The lyrics are pants.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. I didn't add strings because I didn't want to actually go into ELO territory since Queen doesn't traditionally use strings in their arrangements.

As for the lyrics, well, I'm no lyricist so they are what they are.

The backing vox effect was achieved with Antares AVOX. It's supposed to do "natural" background vocals but because I stripped the input channel from the mix, all that came out was the synth voices, thus giving it that vocoder effect. It was not intentional. I stripped the channel because the natural background vocal was horrible and I wasn't going to keep recording over and over to get the sound I wanted. It wasn't happening. This is what made me realize that doing Queen vocals is near impossible. Forget that I'm not Freddie Mercury.

Anyway, I now have to decide if I'm going to straddle the fence between the two bands or just go full tilt ELO.

Nothing has been decided yet.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17423 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am

AnX wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 pm
not bad actually, i wouldnt say it sounds anything like Queen or ELO tho. The vox is prob the best part (tho the vocoder parts could do with more sustain)

the rest sounds a bit "midi file" to me. Not very natural. I think a good string arrangement would fill it out nicely.

overall vibe is that is sounds quite English, and a bit like a TV theme tune...
As I said above, I didn't do strings because I didn't want to actually go into ELO territory. The arrangement is actually quite sparse. Piano, bass, drums, lead guitar and vocals. And that's it.

As for more "sustain" on the vocoder parts, I don't even know what that means. You don't sustain notes that are sung staccato or quickly, and most of the background vocals are as such. In fact, I had enough trouble playing the MIDI part to get the harmonies just right.

AnX
KVRAF
5580 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 am

by sustain, i mean the last word in each line (of the vocoder part) could be held a bit longer, sounded too sharp to me.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
17423 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:29 am

AnX wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 am
by sustain, i mean the last word in each line (of the vocoder part) could be held a bit longer, sounded too sharp to me.
That's because the way I sang the vocals was so short. There wasn't much to sustain.

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
24984 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:17 am

thanks for your reply wags.
Hi-de-Hi!

User avatar
mladi
KVRian
679 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Re: Project: Queen For A Day

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:26 am

wagtunes wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:59 am
Musically, I know I have the skills to write like Queen.
Are your skills on vacation or what happened to them?
Image
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K|Presonus Eris E8 XT|Focusrite Scarlett 18i20|Native Instruments Kontrol S61 MK2|Steinberg Cubase 10 Pro|Stein­berg CC121 Con­troller

Return to “Production Techniques”