Any thoughts on the Eventide SP2016 reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SteveWZ wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:32 am
neverbeeninariot wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:11 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:47 am Does anyone know what the upgrade costs for owners of the previous version?
Crossgrade is $29 if you have Stereo Room in your ilok account.
Super price!
Especially for those of us who got the original Eventide Stereo Room plugin for free by quickly making a Focusrite account a few years back. ;)

Interesting, while most people here are praising SP2016 for its naturalness, I really like it for getting obviously artificial but very useful '80s-style drum/percussion sounds - think Talking Heads' "Wind In My Heart", NOT Phil Collins or that wretched Fine Young Cannibals snare. :D

I've never thought or said it was "natural", just that it sinks back into the source/mix in an invisible way that is unlike a LOT of other reverbs. It's like the Roland Dimension D, when it's on, you don't really notice it, but when you turn it off, it suddenly sounds like total arse in comparison. There's magic there, for sure. I've never been worried about "natural", which is why I've never bothered with convolution reverbs. It either sounds great, or it doesn't, and the 2016 sounds great. :)

:tu:

Just bought it at JRR! :party:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I agree, the SP2016 is amazing at sitting in the mix in just about any situation. I wouldn't use it as my only reverb but it works really well if you use it in combination with more obvious reverb like Valhalla.

Just bought VVV in the marketplace so can't justify another reverb :/

Amazing Reverb. Like so many eventide plugins are amazing.

c1c2 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:36 am Amazing Reverb. Like so many eventide plugins are amazing.
For the ones viewing this thread: a copy of Eventide Blackhole is currently for sale at KVR: viewtopic.php?p=7524964

I have it and can really recommend it for super-long and great sounding reverbs.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Great sounding reverb.
The hardware is classic and is on tons of records/cds.
Its up there with Lexicon, EMT and other hardware verbs.
The software is faithful to the hardware, just a lot cheaper.

sqigls wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:28 pm it's my go-to.
i own many stunning reverbs, but the SP2016 (while not exactly lush or realistic) is easy to work with, and generally just seems to fit. not always, but that's why i own so many stunning reverbs :P
I agree, its a great sounding reproduction of the hardware.
Sounds great on drums, vocals, guitar....
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

SparkySpark wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:19 pm Hi,

Just noticed the SP2016 reverb plugin from Eventide is on a flash sale. At 69 bucks, it still sounds a bit pricey to me... so is it worth the money?

The strong point of the SP2016 seems to be how well the vocals or instruments sit in the mix. At the same time, the original hardware unit is decades old, so I am a bit I-don't-know-ish here. :wink:
There you have the answer. I crossgraded for 29$ since I got the old version for free, um like 5 years ago? Anyway yes It doesn't smear the sound like so many else reverbs do so that whas the reason and it's light on cpu too. Just becuase it's old doesn't make the original hardware inferior. Try to buy 1176 compressor, pultec eq and a fairchild 670 together. That will cost you more than any ordinary brand new car will do.

Daimonicon wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 am
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:19 pm Hi,

Just noticed the SP2016 reverb plugin from Eventide is on a flash sale. At 69 bucks, it still sounds a bit pricey to me... so is it worth the money?

The strong point of the SP2016 seems to be how well the vocals or instruments sit in the mix. At the same time, the original hardware unit is decades old, so I am a bit I-don't-know-ish here. :wink:
There you have the answer. I crossgraded for 29$ since I got the old version for free, um like 5 years ago? Anyway yes It doesn't smear the sound like so many else reverbs do so that whas the reason and it's light on cpu too. Just becuase it's old doesn't make the original hardware inferior. Try to buy 1176 compressor, pultec eq and a fairchild 670 together. That will cost you more than any ordinary brand new car will do.
There are a ton of plugins that try to sound "old" for a reason.
New is not always better in the world of audio.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Sad I missed this. I'll have to wait till it comes back.

Return to “Effects”