Waves Plugins worth $0?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

2:43AM wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:13 pm Another way of putting it: when selling a Waves plugin, you're basically paying a price to get rid of it as opposed to just keeping it.
Yep that is so true :lol:

I didn't even know selling plugins was a thing. I have a number of Waves plugins and they are great. I picked each for a specific purpose and I have always gotten them on sale. There are some I use more than others for sure though. Depends on what I am working on. And then there is the PSP Vintage Warmer. I bought that about 10 years ago and you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands lol. That has been my master bus compressor as long as I have owned it. There are some Waves plugins that would be desert island for me but the vintage warm is at the top of that list for me.

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:12 am
jochicago wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm Those Abbey Road verbs are for sale at the moment. Also great.

I wasn't really a fan of the idea of the Abbey Road chamber room. Just conceptually, old-school reverb chambers are basically the one room they could discard, often square walls covered in tile, with some things thrown in there to try to make it sound less horrible, because reverb software hadn't been invented yet and studios needed some sort of reverb to throw at things. So I'm not sure I even want that sound in my arsenal considering all my other choices...

This may be true. But on the other hand ”poor implementations” become sometimes a desirable standard. French Ludvig XIV, ”Le Roi Soleil” (1643-1715) created many new fashion by accident, e.g. by putting on the jacket inside out in his morning hungover.
The whole court imitated this style in the following morning.
You’ve got to think too, the guys at Abbey Roads also found it a limitation, which is why they came up with the STEED technique. That helps extend the tail quite considerably. But if that’s not enough, thanks to the magic of software they’ve included a control in which we can extend or shrink the natural timing of the room. Then there is the location, speakers and mics and other option. Between all these factors there is ALOT of control over the timing and tonality.

So it’s actually much more flexible than it seems in the surface. But it’s not for anyone. It is good though, if your after an authentic, dense chamber sound for whatever reason.

I made more music when I had more restrictions. Sad but true.

:party:

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:02 am I made more music when I had more restrictions. Sad but true.
OT:
That’s what Eno said.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I have only sold one (multi-hundred usd$) plug in. I’m not sure what i was baked on when i bought it. ?? Every other plug in i have bought was after some serious considerations, but, not the resale value (it’s just a license 😃) and are here to stay. Usually i rtfm and listen to demos, rinse, repeat.

As for Waves, i think they were probably a small, musician friendly company at some distant past? Their marketing is straight up bean counter slime. IMO of course. Been that way for a loooong time. Still if someone where to give me h-reverb or h-delay i would... oh, heck, i would still have to pay? That’s unethical (IMO) and evidently illegal in some parts of this planet.

PSP, i have most of what they’ve created. They are definitely a small, musician friendly co. Quality i would rate superb, too.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

:tu:

CrystalWizard wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:34 am
reggie1979 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:02 am I made more music when I had more restrictions. Sad but true.
OT:
That’s what Eno said.

It's weird. Now, I DO make a bit of music in Reason, maybe because it feels a little hardware ish?

I dunno, I've got all these fantastic ideas and such but I really never finish anything anymore.

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:47 pm [...] but I really never finish anything anymore.
Same boat. I'm working on forcing some deadlines/expectations. I find that if I tell myself "I'm finishing this now", I stop goofing around with plugins and just get it done with the tools I'm already used to. Still goof around a little, but with more intention.

jochicago wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:09 am
reggie1979 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:47 pm [...] but I really never finish anything anymore.
Same boat. I'm working on forcing some deadlines/expectations. I find that if I tell myself "I'm finishing this now", I stop goofing around with plugins and just get it done with the tools I'm already used to. Still goof around a little, but with more intention.
Its'a a shit bitch. But I'm pullin' for ya!

Waves plugins has been around at least for the last 20 YEARS and I had used them back in the day alongside with the original Fruity loops ( when it was just a 1 bar step sequencer), Rebirth and Cakewalk 5.
What they do is keep re-selling the same old plugins with occasionally adding a newer ones and they used to charge hundreds for a single plugin.

Now they sit in the very bottom of my list.
Check out some of my latest mixes and remixes:https://soundcloud.com/thinkmusic007

Oh my God waves. "Black Friday sneak peeks"?!
In September?
Black Friday?
Sneak peeks?

And guess how much they are.
I'll give you 29 seconds.

I actually like Waves though.
But they make it hard. Boy do they make it hard.
Last edited by Local Man on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Likewise. I spend a hell of a lot more time in auditioning sounds than in making music!
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

WUP has made their plug-ins not worth selling. I still use them.
But, if you use them, they are worth something. Just like any other product from any other company.
I find them reliable plug-ins, updated GUI's with resizing would be nice to see.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Effects”