BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
PeteInNeedOfABeat
KVRist
30 posts since 28 Jun, 2016 from Germany

Post Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:38 am

phreaque wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:14 pm
PeteInNeedOfABeat wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:30 am

1. ..... Maybe an option to set a "custom scale" would be the perfect solution here.

2. A "random"-step-type in semitone-window that selects a different note each runthrough. Maybe this would be better as an option in the "Auto Filter-Section": "Rand Key Select" in percentage?

Sunny greetings from Germany,

Pete
Appreciate your input mate :) thanks
Indeed those two features are very helpful to improve BlueARP.

Probably the "custom scale" is already in the to-do list.

As for the 2nd suggestion, I'm afraid that Graywolf isn't having enough free time to implement an approach to this, since the top priority now goes to the hardware BlueARP enhancement.
Hi phreaque, thanks for your reply!

I didn't know about the "hardware BlueArp". Sounds like a lot of work and I'm sure there are people will use it.
For me, it's not that interesting since I don't even own a hardware synth (just some "real" guitars and percussion instruments).

I'd just like to add: if you're looking for the same features I requested (more scales and radomization on single notes), there are workarounds, but of course they are different for every DAW.

I mainly use Ableton Live 10, so in Ableton you could insert the "Random (Midi)"-Device after BlueARP and then the "Scale"-Device to lock the radomized output to a certain scale.

You can even set a custom scale inside the "Scale"-Device.

After that, you could put the whole chain inside an "Midi Effect Rack" and save it, so you can insert it in any other project with one click.

Of course, this only works if you stay inside Ableton but I'm sure other DAWs have similar features, too.

Still, the benefit of having these features inside BlueARP would be that they'd work "cross-plattform".

And they would be more precise, e.g. the Ableton-"Random"-Device can't randomize a particular note, it just randomizes the whole pattern in percentage.

Sunny greetings,
Pete

davenoz
KVRer
1 posts since 1 Nov, 2018

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Hey! Loving BlueArp and blown away by the fact that its freeware, there seems to be a problem that I have noticed however and it doesn't seem to have been addressed in the updates so far.....I'm using 2.2.9. The Start point of the sequence seems to jump about a bit when programming longer or odd length sequences. for example a 64step seq seems to start from step 32 or a 12 step seq seems to start from step 9 but a s soon as the step number is increased to 16stps it jumps back to a step 1 start. I was wondering if there are any plans to fix this and if it is a bug?

Thanks

Dave

User avatar
phreaque
KVRian
919 posts since 17 Jul, 2007 from Baghdad-Iq

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:31 pm

davenoz wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:54 pm
Hey! Loving BlueArp and blown away by the fact that its freeware, there seems to be a problem that I have noticed however and it doesn't seem to have been addressed in the updates so far.....I'm using 2.2.9. The Start point of the sequence seems to jump about a bit when programming longer or odd length sequences. for example a 64step seq seems to start from step 32 or a 12 step seq seems to start from step 9 but a s soon as the step number is increased to 16stps it jumps back to a step 1 start. I was wondering if there are any plans to fix this and if it is a bug?

Thanks

Dave
Hello Dave,
Thanks for your input & compliments.

Regarding the issue:
Please give more details, DAW in use, screenshot, or a video, and if possible send an fxp to check this issue.
Saif Sameer - content designer
Reveal-Sound Image-Line SoundCloud

electro
KVRAF
4515 posts since 6 May, 2002

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:21 am

PeteInNeedOfABeat wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:38 am
Still, the benefit of having these features inside BlueARP would be that they'd work "cross-plattform".
Don't underestimate DDMF Metaplugin.
https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

User avatar
graywolf2004
KVRian
507 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:42 am

maxym.srpl wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:29 am
Hello guys.
The issue I want to report I discovered like a year ago. But then disappeared so I was unable to report it properly. Recently it appeared again which makes me possible to narrow it down.

So, at first it appear only if BlueArp runs in Native mode. If the plugin is running bridged mode (as separate or dedicated process - both are options of Reaper) the issue doesn't appear. At least during my few quick tests.

The issue results in playing unwanted notes. It's like sequences jumps back and forth around the step which should be played at the very moment. You will see it in video below.

Also, I found 2 ways how to workaround the issue (also seen in the video).
1. if there is a loop set somewhere in the project (even inactive)
2. if the track with BlueArp is selected. However based on my experience, it doesn't work 100%. From time to time some glitches slips.

The video below shows Reaper with BlueArp and 2 MIDI logger plugins, plugged in before (left one) and after BlueArp (right one). The song is being played in slow-down to better see data in the logs.
When issue comes to play, you can see:
- jumping sequence dots in BlueArp
- rapidly changing information about current step
- a lot of MIDI messages in second MIDI logger (on the right side)

Please let me know if is it the plugin issue or maybe Reaper one. In the second case I will report it to Reaper developers.

BTW I found another issue (can't say a bug, since it might be a feature.. who knows). If there is a loop set somewhere in the project, and is configured in some specific way (I think it does something with misalignment to whole bars), then BlueArp, even set to "Restart on beat" ignores this setting, seems more like applying a beat start set by the loop. In result the sequence is being played with some shift. Even if played from the song very beginning. As I said, maybe it's a feature (ie for live performance or so), but sometimes might be annoying. Is there a way to disable BlueArp to be sensitive to project loop?
First of all, thanks for so detailed report. Your video helped me to locate the problem much quicker.
I'll continue in the next post...

User avatar
graywolf2004
KVRian
507 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 am

On loop-point issue in Reaper
Hopefully I fixed it, and changed clock reference logic a little bit, along with some minor changes to the interface.

Windows version
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/3/Blu ... 2.2.10.zip
(not mac yet, sorry, still have to complete gui scaling for mac)

Here's a quick explanation video on what I changed and how it works
https://youtu.be/8Gm1sVttLLw

PS. Maybe you give me a better idea how to name this option?
(clock source vs restart on vs ?)

User avatar
phreaque
KVRian
919 posts since 17 Jul, 2007 from Baghdad-Iq

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks a lot my friend :)
It's a great update. The live performance workflow now has good re-trigger feature :tu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJ0AQI ... e=youtu.be
Saif Sameer - content designer
Reveal-Sound Image-Line SoundCloud

dbender
KVRist
299 posts since 26 Feb, 2007

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:41 pm

graywolf2004 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:50 am
On loop-point issue in Reaper
Hopefully I fixed it, and changed clock reference logic a little bit, along with some minor changes to the interface.

Windows version
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/3/Blu ... 2.2.10.zip
(not mac yet, sorry, still have to complete gui scaling for mac)

Here's a quick explanation video on what I changed and how it works
https://youtu.be/8Gm1sVttLLw

PS. Maybe you give me a better idea how to name this option?
(clock source vs restart on vs ?)
Thanks, Please let us know here when the Mac version update is available. Thank you

maxym.srpl
KVRist
68 posts since 16 Jul, 2018

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:43 am

Hello.
Thank you for the change. TBH I didn't expect that, so very nice surprise.
After some quick tests it seems both reported by me issues are resolved. Maybe it's strange that one of them was depended on mode in which the plug-in is being run (native vs separate/dedicated process). But important is that I cannot reproduce it right now, so I'm happy. I'm also not any more dependent on loop settings which helps me a lot in my workflow.

Regarding option name I don't have many ideas. Maybe "Sync to song" would be more consistent with other options ("restart on...") and fit better option label meaning. But once we know how it works it's not so important ;)

Speaking about unimportant things. "next chain" selector is not aligned with "current chain". Also with 150% scale, a "volume" selector is moved upwards in relation to other elements

Ahh and one more thing. BlueArp is listed as VSTi plugin. Since it doesn't generate any sound, wouldn't VST fit better? Recently I did some scripting in Reaper around VCA groups and folders. Script should ignore tracks which don't generate sound. But BlueArp being a VSTi makes it less straight forward.

with regards

QuantumState
KVRer
24 posts since 4 Jun, 2013

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi, How much is left to update the Mac version?

QuantumState
KVRer
24 posts since 4 Jun, 2013

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi , Why isn't the clock mode option in the Mac version? :?

User avatar
graywolf2004
KVRian
507 posts since 15 Apr, 2012 from Moscow, Russia

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Finally, Mac version is here!
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35

For windows version, nothing changed except one minor thing/ After some more thinking I changed back 'clock mode' setting to 'restart on', just the way it was. Only renamed restart on = "beat" to restart on = "beat 0". Cause in this mode the internal clock actually never restarts, it's hard-linked to host song position. Everything else is there, I kept this new restart on = "play" option, might be helpful to someone. Especially in cases when your performance for some reasons doesn't start at song position 0.
For Mac, I had to do a bunch of GUI tweaks to make it look as close to Windows as it could get. Mostly it was all about font size, alignment and margins.
If you will notice some GUI bugs on Mac, fell free to report them here with screenshots. Since I use virtual Mac, my testing wasn't perfect.

PS. Yesterday I finally took time to update my website design. I found a nice free theme for wordpress and installed it there. It's lightweight, fast and looks better imho.

QuantumState
KVRer
24 posts since 4 Jun, 2013

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:50 pm

graywolf2004 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:48 pm
Finally, Mac version is here!
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=35

For windows version, nothing changed except one minor thing/ After some more thinking I changed back 'clock mode' setting to 'restart on', just the way it was. Only renamed restart on = "beat" to restart on = "beat 0". Cause in this mode the internal clock actually never restarts, it's hard-linked to host song position. Everything else is there, I kept this new restart on = "play" option, might be helpful to someone. Especially in cases when your performance for some reasons doesn't start at song position 0.
For Mac, I had to do a bunch of GUI tweaks to make it look as close to Windows as it could get. Mostly it was all about font size, alignment and margins.
If you will notice some GUI bugs on Mac, fell free to report them here with screenshots. Since I use virtual Mac, my testing wasn't perfect.

PS. Yesterday I finally took time to update my website design. I found a nice free theme for wordpress and installed it there. It's lightweight, fast and looks better imho.
Thanks for the Mac version, 150% looks amazing, so far I haven't noticed anything weird.
the only thing in the mac version I don't see the "clock mode" option as seen in windows.

PS: the web now looks simple and clear, good job!

Gummiball
KVRer
2 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:12 am

Also from me a big thank you for the Mac version. Runs perfectly.

Donated!!!

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6262 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Re: BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (OSX MIDI-FX is out)

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:55 am

Thank you, Graywolf
Image

Return to “Instruments”