Setting up TC Fireworx in Ableton Live using AES/EBU

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Might be a long shot this....

I'm trying to set up a TC Fireworx as an external FX unit in Ableton Live. Main interface is an RME UFX2 that has a pair of Behringer ADA8200's hooked up. I've connected the Fireworx to the UFX using AES cables, and it's showing as locked both ends (solid AES light on the RME, solid digital light on the Fireworx).

What I'm not sure about is whether I can actually see the physical inputs and outputs in Ableton Live. With my setup I'm seeing 30 inputs and outputs in Live's preferences, and I've activated them all.

What I don't know is if any of these represent the AES inputs and outputs. Using trial and error, none of these outputs seems to be sending a signal to the Fireworx. I'm not sure if I'm missing something simple, or whether I just don't 'get' how the AES connection works (very possible.... :D )

Edit - Works fine in Cubase because the inputs and outputs are actually labelled 'AES'. In Live I just have numbers 1-30, none of which appear to be the AES connection, although one of them HAS to be! :x
Last edited by tehlord on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dont have one
but are you sure you've definitely got the outs going to ins on the unit?
not saying ive ever done that :oops:

otherwise pm justin maybe? i know he has the tc.
good luck.

Yes I'm positive because they're male/female at either end. You can't get it wrong....although I did check lol.

And it's definitely digitally locked on both devices.

Yeah, it sounds like just an I/O labeling thing. I run into the same thing with Bitwig... it's tough to keep track of 54 inputs and 58 outputs, when they are just laebeled numerically. :dog:
Can you you monitor I/O in RME's TotalMix, so that you can at least see, to which outputs the signal is routed as you are switching through outputs in Live? I use the S/PDiF I/O on my Fireworx most if the time, which is handled the same as the AES I/O.

justin3am wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:50 pm Yeah, it sounds like just an I/O labeling thing. I run into the same thing with Bitwig... it's tough to keep track of 54 inputs and 58 outputs, when they are just laebeled numerically. :dog:
Can you you monitor I/O in RME's TotalMix, so that you can at least see, to which outputs the signal is routed as you are switching through outputs in Live? I use the S/PDiF I/O on my Fireworx most if the time, which is handled the same as the AES I/O.

Hmmm, I thought that would be the case. The weird thing is, none of the outputs appear to be sending anything to the Fireworx. I sent the output of an audio channel directly to each pair of 30 outputs one by one and none of them lit up the Fireworx input monitoring, which is what I find most odd. Logic dictates that one of them HAS to be correct, and Cubase is showing me that the connections are working.

It's a good shout watching the outputs channels in Totalmix though, I'll give that a try and see if I can at least get a visual representation.

Ta :party:

Very strange. Today it works, doing exactly what I was doing yesterday. I wonder if Ableton Live just needed a reboot AFTER the AES cables were connected? :?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”