Best VST synth for sfx sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

perfumer wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:42 pm Seeing that you're asking what synths to use, this means that you're a noob at synthesis, and this means that you're going to have a hard time creating such types of sounds, especially if they're to have a 'comic' side to them.

If the project is not specifically centered on recreating what's already out there just to see how close you can get, I'd suggest stick to samples.
Yes your're right I'm a noob in synthesis. But I decided to learn it from now on even if it's lasting a long time. I'm not in hurry and the project I'm working on is a long term project.

And I already got foley sound samples. It's not what I'm looking for in the first place. But I might use them for a start point and import them as wavetables (for example in Serum) to make them sound more synthesized. Or morph them with other synthesized sounds.

But in the first place I like to find out what can be done using pure synthesis. And what VST soft synth is best for doing this. Especially for a beginner.

mireiner wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:01 pm
perfumer wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:42 pm Seeing that you're asking what synths to use, this means that you're a noob at synthesis, and this means that you're going to have a hard time creating such types of sounds, especially if they're to have a 'comic' side to them.

If the project is not specifically centered on recreating what's already out there just to see how close you can get, I'd suggest stick to samples.
Yes your're right I'm a noob in synthesis. But I decided to learn it from now on even if it's lasting a long time. I'm not in hurry and the project I'm working on is a long term project.

And I already got foley sound samples. It's not what I'm looking for in the first place. But I might use them for a start point and import them as wavetables (for example in Serum) to make them sound more synthesized. Or morph them with other synthesized sounds.

But in the first place I like to find out what can be done using pure synthesis. And what VST soft synth is best for doing this. Especially for a beginner.
:tu:
dont learn if you dont challenge yourself :)

the modular vcv rack suggestion, will give you more options than a standard vst but will of course be more of a diving in at the deep end, if you let it.
you can start with one or two basic osc/filter modules and go from there just adding bits as you understand more
and there are plenty of vids for helping you get around inside it :)

Which synth(s) do you already have ? It could be a useful information.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

very simple, might be fun to use & learn .

A sampler is what you want.

vurt wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:12 pm The modular vcv rack suggestion, will give you more options than a standard vst but will of course be more of a diving in at the deep end, if you let it.
you can start with one or two basic osc/filter modules and go from there just adding bits as you understand more
and there are plenty of vids for helping you get around inside it :)
I was afraid that it would come to the modular synth conclusion. But for various reasons I must admit that for sound effects synthesis this is a hard to beat suggestion.

I didn't test vcv rack yet because I heard it doesn't come with a VST plugin yet. And therefore had no idea how to automate the synth via midi in my daw. I work alot with midi automation and midi assigment to external knobs and sliders via midi learn. And was thinking all that wouldn't work with vcv rack.

But what I really like about vcv rack is that it's open source and it seams that it will have a long livespan. Its no toy that comes and goes.

I'll take a second more closer look on vcv rack. Thank you for the suggestion!

Maybe this one.
yzcoruhT

Another very good option is PureData and Andy Farnell’s book “Designing Sound” because procedural audio is where it’s at for games etc.
If you want higher-level then:
http://tsugi-studio.com/web/en/products-gamesynth.html
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:36 pm Another very good option is PureData and Andy Farnell’s book “Designing Sound” because procedural audio is where it’s at for games etc.
Excellent book
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

recordings, sampler, and a mixer effects is what you may need rather than synthesizers
Try granular resynthesis as well - harmor, camel audio alchemy

perfumer wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:28 pmArcsyn
This! Unfiltered Audio's Lion is another that is great and easy to use.

If you think about it, the "sfx sound" is basically any atonal sound. You can mess with pitch information of any tonal (musical) sound and get an "sfx" version of it. That's why modular synths and FSU effect plugins are often used as sound design tools. Although, it can be any synth with advanced modulation capabilities. My personal choice is Zebra, but other synths are great for sound design as well: FM8, Absynth, Massive X, Tal-Mod, Surge (which is now open source) etc. For me, the most important tools when designing sfx sounds are envelopes. So I'd go for a synth that has MSEGs.

Synapse Dune 2/3 is good as well, you have some FMing options as well as ring modulator, and very flexible envelopes, importable wavetables...

OP: "Hello. I want to make a sound."
KVR: Recommends every synth which was ever created.

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:14 pm OP: "Hello. I want to make a sound."
KVR: Recommends every synth which was ever created.
haha it’s more like “go with my advice, not his advice!”

Return to “Instruments”