CyCfi - multi-channel guitar pickups and modules

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been waiting for such inventions for decades.
This changes the way we could connect, process and transform audio signals using pickups/adaptors.
Just read... this guy (Joel de Guzman) is the author!

CyCfi - click for website link
CuCfi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What would be your main purpose of using this system?
Is this similar to Variax and guitar synthesis?
Maybe MIDI Guitar 2. No mods or hardware needed.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Variax is usable but expensive and also dedicated to only those Line 6 guitars. No "Guitar to MIDI".
Roland GR-55 is a processor/synth. Requires a separate adaptor for MIDI and it converts them to MIDI to trigger some samples or synth libraries.

CyCfi is simply put configuration of individual pickups - per string of whatever string or instruments. Low impedance is the key, flat freq. response and clarity of the sound with both XR and NU2 pickups or combination of both XR-NU2.
The I/O module lets you split the signal from each string to a different audio channel (track in the DAW) or in pairs.
WIth the MIDI module, single strings can be converted to MIDI data. There is no synths, sample libraries. Just connectivity and data flow Audio and MIDI.

That's it. I think it is perfect for the modern amp-sim plugins or chaining FX on each string separately.
Imagine not so muddy reverb on the low strings then some flush on the mid and full on the high strings. Same to high-gain amp sims; imagine panning doubled guitars, or quadrupled per string. Insane possibilities to make HUGE sound.

I haven't looked into it for a while, but there have been breakout boxes for Roland GK style hex pickups for many years.

I wonder if this system could give you a way to hear each string, in a chord, when you use distortion?
I have a hard time moving to my electric guitar from the acoustic one because of the fact that individual strings in a chord can not be heard when you put a bit of gain to it. :tantrum:

Saffran wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:16 am I wonder if this system could give you a way to hear each string, in a chord, when you use distortion?
I have a hard time moving to my electric guitar from the acoustic one because of the fact that individual strings in a chord can not be heard when you put a bit of gain to it. :tantrum:
I completely understand you! That is why I also have had troubles hearing the notes in a chord using distortion. That is the nature of distortion - it squishes the dynamics, the attack is present only on the first string stroked and the rest of the strings' attacks get lost in the distortion.

With this and with a multi-channel audio-interface you can give each string its own amp-sim preset... every parameter is per string. It is up to you how you are going do it in your own DAW.

@guitarzan
With Roland you would need the actual RG-55 unit for the audio and it wont be multi-channel (per string). Only attaching the GK hex-pickup will convert it to MIDI and not as a multi-channel audio (it is ony for 6-string).

With CyCfi you can have as many strings as you want. Well the I/O module is limited to 12 audio channels, so... 12 strings that is (not for 12-string acoustic, because each pair of the strings have the strings too close to each other, so 6 channels will work just fine). There is no "Audio to MIDI" software bult-in into the MIDI module.

Pashkuli wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:29 am @guitarzan
With Roland you would need the actual RG-55 unit for the audio and it wont be multi-channel (per string). Only attaching the GK hex-pickup will convert it to MIDI and not as a multi-channel audio (it is ony for 6-string).

With CyCfi you can have as many strings as you want. Well the I/O module is limited to 12 audio channels, so... 12 strings that is (not for 12-string acoustic, because each pair of the strings have the strings too close to each other, so 6 channels will work just fine). There is no "Audio to MIDI" software bult-in into the MIDI module.
I'm just saying there are several breakout (or "fanout") boxes available that break the 13 pin Roland hex pickup into 6 separate outputs, one for each string, to be processed individually as desired — no need for any Roland box at all. The idea has been around for at least 15 years, maybe even as long as there have been hex pickups. It is a good idea, though.

The idea is good but in reality, we've seen this before and it has never been a success. I believe Fishman pickups have the right idea e.g. their modern pickups with both a passive and active mode are popular pickups. Maybe in the future we will see pikups that can do more than two. Of course brands like Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan could do pickups like that but of course they won't because of business reasons.

Of course, these pickups would require more additional equipment:
the pickups config itself (~$200)
the I/O module at (least)the 19-pin cable (~$200)
the at least 6 audio input channel interface (>$400)

You end up at at least $700~800 worth of money spent to connect and use that tech.
This is not for the low-budget to mid-budget consumer. if you add the MIDI module and software for Pitch editing, we end up at around $1000.

Return to “Guitars”