Windows 10 - Timeto Upgrade?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

was wondering if worth upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10. Does it thread better, start faster... What? Besides support, what's in it for me?

TBH, i wouldn't know where to start... you can fetch all those infos from Google in a short time.

It's already well worth upgrading considering that Windows 7 won't get any more support from January 2020 on. Apart from Windows 10 being the much better OS, of course (personal opinion you don't have to share).

You can still activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 and 8 keys, by the way. So, basically, you can upgrade for free, when you do a fresh install of Windows 10.

If you can use your Win7 machine still I'd use it until it dies or until Microsoft stops mandatory boots and paranoidic(?) windows update action of HOLY GOD you havent updated RIGHT NOW you'll DIE I SAY!... sigh.

A lot of things are better in Win10 but the update system is IMHO, STILL broken for professional users.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:15 pmthe update system is IMHO, STILL broken for professional users.
I would agree. I still regret upgrading some systems and praise holding on to 7 on my DAW one. Nowadays (IMHO) updating any Windows seems more dangerous than not updating, considering that everything works at the moment. Thus, I see support for W7 dead already. As well as for W10.

Well good news (even though i doubt that it will change your deadlocked opinion): From the upcoming 1909 update on (including 1909), the update process will change, and Windows 10 will update as if you are installing one of the cumulative updates.

For me, that's big news. Also for the more clueless users, which are much less likely to run into trouble now, with the big updates.

I was able to upgrade for free. I only did it to try to fix some severe DPC Latency issues. My computer is definitely a lot faster now, the updates are annoying though.

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:53 amYou can still activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 and 8 keys, by the way. So, basically, you can upgrade for free, when you do a fresh install of Windows 10.
Can you do this? I'm not clear about it.
I bought a Windows 8 licence with CD in about 2015 and upgraded to Win 10 when it came out and want to reinstall on a new motherboard + CPU + larger SSD drive but have been hesitating because I'm worried about being stuck back on Win 8 if I reinstall. Are you sure there won't be any problems if I reinstall from the Win 8 CD with new hardware & upgrade again to 10? Just a little anxious. :scared: :? :wink:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

It`s a very "scary" thought in my eyes, to need to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 very soon :(
Win7 works good and stable, never any big issues, but Win10 ... the update process in general sounds very annoying, but in some cases, it caused hardware to get damaged/don`t work anymore etc. Like update process don`t run probably, after that some people got only bluescreens over and over, and even with formatting/erasing the system completely to zero for a new install, still only getting bluescreens after launching the computer - like the update process damaged somehow some hardware.

And with stories like this, of a very bad update process in general, and in rare cases destroying the system .... hmmm i dont want to upgrade :D

Cyforce wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:10 am It`s a very "scary" thought in my eyes, to need to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 very soon :(
Win7 works good and stable, never any big issues, but Win10 ... the update process in general sounds very annoying, but in some cases, it caused hardware to get damaged/don`t work anymore etc.
Windows 10, like any other OS, doesn't damage hardware...

Apart from that, you have much more control over updates now, since the last big update, and it will continue to go on like that. As i wrote above, the actual update process was changed also, and, there won't be a complete "new install", if you will, from now on, with the big, semi-year updates. It will just install itself as a cumulative update, just like the monthly updates.

Don't believe the shit hype of the mainstream media. They also want to destroy Apple with every single OS update, and horrendous stories about those as well. It's just journalist having a boner about scaring people, and exercising power over others. That's why they've become journalists in the first place.

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:26 amWindows 10, like any other OS, doesn't damage hardware...

Apart from that, you have much more control over updates now, since the last big update, and it will continue to go on like that. As i wrote above, the actual update process was changed also, and, there won't be a complete "new install", if you will, from now on, with the big, semi-year updates. It will just install itself as a cumulative update, just like the monthly updates.

Don't believe the shit hype of the mainstream media. They also want to destroy Apple with every single OS update, and horrendous stories about those as well. It's just journalist having a boner about scaring people, and exercising power over others. That's why they've become journalists in the first place.
It`s not about believing mainstream media or similar. Some people seriously had such issue, one example for instance, is a very popular streamer from germany, got a brandnew high end system sponsored and build by a professional computer shop. Worked fine, until 2 weeks ago Win10 auto update kicked it, than update somehow crashed the system, wasn`t able to launch windows anymore, followed by mass of blue screens. The tech guys from the shop, reset the hole setup (which also means, a lot of work time to set your own software enviroment up etc was wasted/deleted) and even after that, only bluescreens, which means, since the update, some hardware got broken somehow. And it were all new parts and no cheap ones. So of course, such things are rare as hell... but mhmm they happens. This "in meantime new replacement" computer, got also shut down live while streaming on WIn10 update. Got stucked on 27% for an hour, than system frozen, and wasn`t able to reboot or launch anymore. So don`t say Win10 updates can do bad things :lol:

Most probably a driver issue, caused by Windows update updating one of the drivers. You know, the automatic installation or updating of system drivers is a blessing for some, and can be bad for others. Especially when your laptop or computer isn't bog standard, you have to use the vendor drivers, instead of the ones from Windows Update, and you better deactivate automatic driver updates then as well. That is not the fault of Windows 10 per se though, it's rather a feature than being a bug, and, it's also not Microsoft's fault that you better know what you're doing when you install and set up your machine.

Other issues can occur in case you are using one of those super duper Security suites, or antivirus software with a gazillion of features, which can interfere with the updating process of Windows 10. Again, that is not the fault of Windows, it's the fault of the developers of those security softwares, which shouldn't program their software that it can interfere with the system on such a deep level.

All in all, i only can say that Windows 10 is not more problematic than former OS versions. I have it running on 3 machines here, and "administrate" another Windows 10 laptop, and, the few issues i had here, i could rather easily fix. I'm also frequenting a couple of Windows support forums, and, no, there's not a massive rise of support requests for WIndows 10, compared to other Windows versions. There's a massive rise of catastophy reports in the mainstream media though. Also for Mac OS, iOS, or Android.

spunkmuffin wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:48 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:53 amYou can still activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 and 8 keys, by the way. So, basically, you can upgrade for free, when you do a fresh install of Windows 10.
Can you do this? I'm not clear about it.
I bought a Windows 8 licence with CD in about 2015 and upgraded to Win 10 when it came out and want to reinstall on a new motherboard + CPU + larger SSD drive but have been hesitating because I'm worried about being stuck back on Win 8 if I reinstall. Are you sure there won't be any problems if I reinstall from the Win 8 CD with new hardware & upgrade again to 10? Just a little anxious. :scared: :? :wink:
If you purchased a Windows 8 Retail license then upgraded to Windows 10 you can transfer this Windows 10 upgrade to a new computer. Don't use the Windows 8 cd to reinstall, though!

Download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create a new installation cd (or usb flash drive) with the latest version of Windows 10, then install Windows 10 on your new pc and enter the Windows 8 serial when asked.
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Because you are transferring a license to a new pc, you may need to use Phone Activation to get Windows 10 to properly activate. Last time I used this, it was an automated process without any human interaction.

Once installed, and logged in with your Microsoft account, your Windows 10 license usually gets bound to your Microsoft account as well, which can be seen in the system settings -> System -> Activation. When it says "Windows was activated with a digital license, which is tied to the Microsoft account", or something similar, you can activate any new computer with that license, when you log into Windows with your Microsoft account.

If you're still running Win7, I'd whole-heartedly recommend upgrading to Win10 ASAP, since support for Win7 is ending shortly. You'll put your system at risk if you don't. And in all honesty, Win10 is nowhere near as bad an OS as many people claim. Sure, it has a lot of unnecessary features, but those can be disabled.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

This month Microsoft annouced extended support for Win 7. The niggle is: You will have to pay for it. Prices still ahve not be mentioned. I will stick with Win7 Pro

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”