xphorm - viral spiral (139 bpm psytrance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...think I learned a thing or two about mixing and mastering lately. Honest opinions and advices would be appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/pyc/xphorm-viral-spiral

Sounds good. Kick a little anemic but other than that, nice mix. Musically, not my genre so I'll let somebody like Recursive comment on that. I enjoyed the listen for whatever that's worth to you.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:48 pm I'll let somebody like Recursive comment on that.
Not that I'm such an expert :neutral:

Overall I quite enjoued the track, I like how it evolves and unfolds and the synths sound great, I love these funky-trippy sequences in the second half. What are these synths, Virus?

The leads are mixed well but the kick/bass need more work imo... well, in psytrance it always needs more work, but in this case I don't quite feel the groove. The bass doesn't blend well with the kick and the filter envelope on the bass seems to be off (open too much and/or too long sustain I guess) . Needs to be snappier and tighter. Agree that the kick is somehow weak. Snare is too loud imo.

Anyways, I'm not a great production expert, so I'll let someone like Mushy comment on that :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

^ Will listen and comment tonight after work.

I’m still waiting for your input on my latest TBH 8) :oops:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

recursive one wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:08 pm Overall I quite enjoued the track, I like how it evolves and unfolds and the synths sound great, I love these funky-trippy sequences in the second half. What are these synths, Virus?
Mostly it's Spire, and there's one Loomer Aspect, String and BigKick. It's all software and the DAW is Renoise.
The leads are mixed well but the kick/bass need more work imo... well, in psytrance it always needs more work, but in this case I don't quite feel the groove. The bass doesn't blend well with the kick and the filter envelope on the bass seems to be off (open too much and/or too long sustain I guess) . Needs to be snappier and tighter. Agree that the kick is somehow weak. Snare is too loud imo.
Thanks, that's precious information for me, need to get as many opinions as possible. Yeah I know I have to work on low frequencies, that is where most knowledge is needed anyways. Still trying to get that fat sound. :)

xphorm wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:25 pm Mostly it's Spire, and there's one Loomer Aspect, String and BigKick. It's all software and the DAW is Renoise.
Ah, cool. Proven again that Spire can sound like Virus :party: Actually I went by the track name but what I heard indeed reminded me on Virus quite a bit (anyways, you seem to be quite good at tweaking synths :tu: )
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:10 pm I’m still waiting for your input on my latest TBH 8) :oops:
You mean the OP or me? I thought I commented btw but maybe I missed something. I only occasionally check MC.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Nice clean mix.
1:09 vocal gets a bit lost
1:44 here where the vocal has less competition, its more clear.
3:07 nice
enjoyed it :tu:

Great track that definitely has potential.

In terms of improvements I will echo what has been said above in that the kick is a little too loud and boomy. I would sweep through the frequencies with an EQ on a high Q setting to find the boomy area and cut it. The kick level can likely then stay at the same level. If you're happy with the tone then I'd just suggest a very minor drop in level, say 1 or 2 db.

Overall though, great track :tu:

recursive one wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm
You mean the OP or me? I thought I commented btw but maybe I missed something. I only occasionally check MC.
[/quote]You dude. Only if you get a moment though.

In the meantime, I've re-done mixing and mastering here... and I think it's a bit better, still it may be that I made it little too loud / sacrificed dynamics, but give it a shot. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”