Camel Audio Alchemy Libraries - Still Possible to Buy/Sell?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

Is it still possible for people to buy and sell Camel Audio Alchemy libraries? I know that you can't register them, there would be no support, etc., but I recently fired up Alchemy and realize (now) that I would like to have Biolabs Dark Space in my collection. If anyone has this and is willing to sell it, please PM me. If people here confirm that these can still be traded, I will post in the Sell/Buy forum, as well.

Thanks!

Not possible unfortunately, user information is stored in the packs.

I still have it on iOS. All the packs show up but you can only download stuff from previous purchases.

The buy button on the other libraries is bit of a tease!

fortycoats wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:10 pm Not possible unfortunately, user information is stored in the packs.
^^ This. Your personal information is embedded in these and the plugins /installers, so it would be foolish for someone to try to sell or distribute theirs. Camel Audio can no longer do legitimate transfers.

macmuse wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:06 pm
fortycoats wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:10 pm Not possible unfortunately, user information is stored in the packs.
^^ This. Your personal information is embedded in these and the plugins /installers, so it would be foolish for someone to try to sell or distribute theirs. Camel Audio can no longer do legitimate transfers.
But this doesn't really answer the question. What would happen if I tried to install another user's library? Would it not install? I don't think the user information is tied to a particular hardware setup, as I have installed my Alchemy libraries on new computers since Camel Audio shut its doors.

My comments are to protect the legal buyer here. It's simply not smart for them to distribute files that have their personal information attached to it, not is it smart to distribute any of their legally-bought software either, personal info or not. I know this is not what you want to hear, but you're asking someone to violate their purchase agreement.

Hindsight is 20/20 and it's unfortunate that those packs weren't bought when they were available and Camel was still honoring transfers. It's also too bad that an item's importance/desirability is not always noticed at the right time and we often realize that later on when it's too late.

bharris22 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:47 pm
macmuse wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:06 pm
But this doesn't really answer the question. What would happen if I tried to install another user's library? Would it not install? I don't think the user information is tied to a particular hardware setup, as I have installed my Alchemy libraries on new computers since Camel Audio shut its doors.
Actually we did answer your questions, which were "Is it still possible for people to buy and sell Camel Audio Alchemy libraries? and "If people here confirm that these can still be traded, I will post in the Sell/Buy..."

We stated in this thread that it is not possible for people to buy, sell or transfer these libraries and that doing so would also pass along the owner's personal information and license.

My comments are to protect the legal owner here. It's simply not smart for them to distribute files that have their personal information attached to it, not is it smart to distribute any of their legally-bought software either, personal info or not. I know this is not what you want to hear, but you're asking someone to violate their purchase agreement and to give you their serial number basically.

Hindsight is 20/20 and it's unfortunate that those packs weren't bought when they were available and Camel was still honoring transfers. Often an item's importance/desirability is not always noticed at the right time and we often realize that later on when it's too late. :(
Last edited by macmuse on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Also, a person who would sell or distribute software containing his personal info has no way of knowing whether the recipient(s) will share it with other people and places, since it's not their own personal info that is being distributed so they may not care. Not saying you would disregard and disrespect someone's privacy, but apparently there are those who do, unfortunately.

It's one thing when a person needs an old software installer but has their own serial number and license for it, but that doesn't apply here with the Camel stuff since Camel Audio installers are watermarked exclusive-to-the-purchaser installers.

This is where we start to see a huge divide between ownership of a physical product and the ownership of a license to use a software product. In terms of hardware company goes under, to an extent it is possible to maintain and pass on ownership. Software, once the companies lapsed support or existance, then the license is only as good as long as its usable.
POssible to buy, yes. To sell, yes. To maintain any issues...good luck. :hug:

Longtime Alchemy users feel free to correct me here, but even if you did sell a library to someone else they wouldn't be able to use it.

If I remember right, user information is stored in both Alchemy and the Libraries.

If the info in both Alchemy and the Library don't match, it won't load.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

AJYoung wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:14 pm Longtime Alchemy users feel free to correct me here, but even if you did sell a library to someone else they wouldn't be able to use it.

If I remember right, user information is stored in both Alchemy and the Libraries.

My original question was simply whether libraries sold in that situation would actually work in Alchemy. If this is true, this is a valid answer to that question. The fact that the original library has someone's name associated with it does not necessarily mean that it can't be bought and sold - rather, it just means that the original purchase can be traced to that person, and in a situation where the original company remains an ongoing concern, there could be a claim for counterfeiting/piracy.

I did, in fact, purchase another Camel Audio product (not Alchemy or a library) second hand after they closed their doors. It had/has the original user's name baked in, but it works fine. If the original legal owner wishes to sell, that is their business. Moreover, as Camel Audio is now closed and can no longer make money from sales of these libraries, I fail to see who would be harmed if the original owner decided to sell in this situation - in other words, the legal owner doesn't need our protection. Again, the only remaining real question is whether the library sold in that situation would work.

AJYoung wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:14 pm Longtime Alchemy users feel free to correct me here, but even if you did sell a library to someone else they wouldn't be able to use it.

That's correct. You can install and run Camel Audio plugins even if they have someone else's name baked in but Alchemy user name and libraries name must mach for libraries to be recognized.
No signature here!

bharris22 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:51 pm

I did, in fact, purchase another Camel Audio product (not Alchemy or a library) second hand after they closed their doors. It had/has the original user's name baked in, but it works fine.
Yes! But the critical part of AJYoung’s post is the matching, 2-part authentication process between Alchemy and the libraries, and the library transfer process would have involved removing the seller’s details and replacing with the buyer’s, to match the details on their Alchemy license.

I don’t think the same process applies to ‘Phat’ or ‘Space’ as they are self-inclusive.

Sure....on mac you buy Logic....this is the only way these days...sadly.
I own all the old Alchemy libraries and i even cannot open them in the Logic Alchemy anymore (but 90% of the presets are anyway in the Logic version included but some under different names, tags and/or slightly changed).
Some of my favorites are missing and i remember to load them successful into the new Logic Alchemy but since i "lost" the original installer i only have all the sample content from the packs and the "useless" presets (i cannot make them run anymore for some reason).
Short said....if you do not use macOS you have to use your own windows version which works or you have to buy Logic. Fun fact that the olds presets packs cost me much more than the whole Logic with even more presets on top a ton of other stuff including a better version of Camel Space and Phat :o

Cinebient wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:52 pm Sure....on mac you buy Logic....this is the only way these days...sadly.
I own all the old Alchemy libraries and i even cannot open them in the Logic Alchemy anymore (but 90% of the presets are anyway in the Logic version included but some under different names, tags and/or slightly changed).
Some of my favorites are missing and i remember to load them successful into the new Logic Alchemy but since i "lost" the original installer i only have all the sample content from the packs and the "useless" presets (i cannot make them run anymore for some reason).
Short said....if you do not use macOS you have to use your own windows version which works or you have to buy Logic. Fun fact that the olds presets packs cost me much more than the whole Logic with even more presets on top a ton of other stuff including a better version of Camel Space and Phat :o
I don't think they have anywhere near as many of the original library content as you suggest. Unless I am missing something. Also, I have all my libraries installed. Can't remember how to install them. Will see if I can find out. But the libraries should show up under 'Legacy' (Click in the 'genre' column, in the browser, and choose "Legacy Content", and select "Sound Library" in the next column to the right ).

Return to “Instruments”