Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dayjob wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm
Forgotten wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:18 pm I can’t imagine there will be too many issues. I’ll probably just go ahead and upgrade and see what doesn’t work (not really expecting any major issues).
er.. lol.. i got emails/tweets/FB posts/Instagram posts from every developer issuing a warning not to update yet. but i'm sure you'll be fine. :D
Me too, but not from all of them, just from a few, none of whom said that their products wouldn’t work. I was told that they recommended not to upgrade, or that they are testing or something similar. I don’t think I have a single one that suggested that their software simply wouldn’t work.

dayjob wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 pm
there's just no reason to update to the new os.
though that's only one side of the medal... people (need to) buy new macs sometimes and they have no choice about the os. so there definitely is a reason for developers to make their software/plugins catalina-proof at some point.
i'll keep mojave for now.

audio/fault wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:50 pm
dayjob wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:49 pm
there's just no reason to update to the new os.
though that's only one side of the medal... people (need to) buy new macs sometimes and they have no choice about the os. so there definitely is a reason for developers to make their software/plugins catalina-proof at some point.
i'll keep mojave for now.
well obviously if you buy a new computer that has the OS pre-installed that's a different situation. and no one is saying that devs won't make their apps work on Catalina.. just that there's not much reason for people who have a dedicated music computer to be on the bleeding edge of every update apple rolls out.

Sounds like there's a lot of work to do for a lot of plugin devs. Think I'll definitely hold off updating for a while.
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:29 pm What was a bit out-of-the-blue for us was the realisation that having 64 bit alone doesn't cut it. Stuff needs a special "hardened runtime" thing which is available only from a relatively new toolchain. That relatively new toolchain doesn't do 32 bit at all *gulp*

Now, because the beta of Catalina is "lenient" for the time being, our stuff simply worked and thus we thought we're good. But it will very likely stop working next year, when that lenient phase is over. Hence, we're going to run a dual approach where our downloads will have new, absolutely safe installers and plug-ins, and an installer with software made from the old toolchain, which contains 32-bit plug-ins. We'll keep later up for a year or two before we finally switch to 64 bit only.

It is not an overly big deal for us. We're setting up a parallel build system with the latest toolchain. It works on individual dev machines, so now we just need an extra script which does an extra step or two and puts two installers into our downloads.

this is amazing out your way work by your crew. most developers are telling people 32 bit will no longer be supported, but you found a way. there are a few truths that need to be said here tho. mac has been a whiney bitch since jobs, and that's coming from a guy that learned on mac in 84, and still has an 84 mac. also, 85% of folks still running 32 are cracking. just saying, it's happening, supporting 32 bit is a lost cause.
Last edited by Dasheesh on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double

Eventide, sound toys, isotope, reason studios, just to name a few of the vendors who have recommended not upgrading to 10.15 Mac OS.

In the case of Ableton Live v9 will NOT be supported under 10.15 at all ever only Live v10 will eventually be supported under 10.15. But Ableton says hold off.

I turned off my auto updates and will hold off for a while updating to 10.15.

Bummer cause I am really looking forward to some of the new 10.15 improvements and features like Sidecar. I got phone, pad, MacBook Pro and TV.

i run both mac and PC, and they are both evil. the human race is in desperate need of a third party. like for real. relying on a two party system doesn't work. it's exactly like politics.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 pm i run both mac and PC, and they are both evil. the human race is in desperate need of a third party. like for real. relying on a two party system doesn't work. it's exactly like politics.
We should all switch to Ubuntu
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

if you want to look for hours to find something that does the most mundane tasks sure. i wouldn't recommend it tho. i need a for real third option.

To be fair, most of the devs saying "hold off" mean "let us test everything first to make sure that Apple didn't screw us over," and not, "hold off because it won't work." In practice, there's little difference. No one using this to do real work should upgrade before they get the all clear. Eventide says they have some issues to address, but I suspect that most of the issues are related to the fast one Apple pulled with the hardened runtime requirement for components.

teilo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:44 pm To be fair, most of the devs saying "hold off" mean "let us test everything first to make sure that Apple didn't screw us over," and not, "hold off because it won't work." In practice, there's little difference. No one using this to do real work should upgrade before they get the all clear. Eventide says they have some issues to address, but I suspect that most of the issues are related to the fast one Apple pulled with the hardened runtime requirement for components.
That’s how I read it too. Not really feeling the “sky is falling” argument, so not going to stress over upgrading.

Worse case scenario, if all my music software fails I’ll be using Sidecar to do a lot more artwork.

if you are running free ware you are screwed. most pay ware is 64 bit compliant, but i'm getting the impression it goes beyond that. if you have 32 bit in your installer it might crap out, simply because apple is a shit bitch little pussy.

there are legit 3 guys i would look in the eye and brake their nose. tom cruise, Putin, and Tim cook.

VSL has added support for Catalina for their Synchron Player today.

Return to “Instruments”