Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 pm there are legit 3 guys i would look in the eye and brake their nose. tom cruise, Putin, and Tim cook.
Noses might run, but that doesn’t mean they have brakes.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:04 pm [snip] apple is a shit bitch little pussy.
+1 :borg:

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:40 pm if you want to look for hours to find something that does the most mundane tasks sure. i wouldn't recommend it tho. i need a for real third option.
I guess Linux isn't a "real OS" and requires hours to even boot to a desktop screen, that's why you can't recommend it. After all, we are in the 25th August of 1991! the same day Torvalds announced his OS, naturally we can't expect a ton, can we?

@general. It seems like now Apple wants to have even more restricted control over their OS, guess their walled garden is just getting tighter as ever.

Massive X threads all over again...

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 pm there are legit 3 guys i would look in the eye and brake their nose. tom cruise, Putin, and Tim cook.
You need to learn forgiveness mate. Violence begets violence.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 am
You need to learn forgiveness mate. Violence begets violence.
yeah.. forgiveness... that worked w/the nazis if memory serves. ;)

i kid i kid.. obviously we're just horsing around on the internet and personal hatreds are a different thing than genocide.

Anyone who plans to do a major version OS update within 6 months of release is obviously not doing work on that computer, audio or otherwise.

There has been a developer freak out for every major MacOS release since 10.0. The sky has not fallen. These changes are good for the future of the OS as they make malware and surveillance software enormously more difficult to create. And, yes, it would seem it will break a lot of cracked and pirated software too.

On that last point: if there were no piracy I feel confident the audio software market would expand with more developers, more diversity and quality of software, lower prices overall and more money for developers. So I say bravo to that. It will be worth a transition.

Noumena wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 am Anyone who plans to do a major version OS update within 6 months of release is obviously not doing work on that computer, audio or otherwise. [snip]So I say bravo to that. It will be worth a transition.
Agreed about the software mostly. I think they can do a better job of not breaking things and making everyone else pay (in time = money). The biggest issue for me is the need to run on newer apple hardware, which in my opinion, is no longer worth the money they are commanding. With so many design failures and inabilty to keep up with the market let alone either gouging further or taking a lot of stuff away, they just don't hit any optimial balance. For me I am afraid it will be a move to windoze. I'll say on high sierra as long as I can and then either get a Metal graphics card for my mac to move up to Mojave, maybe Catalina if its supported (I haven't checked). but after that, unless they put out a machine that make sense for the money, I'm switching platforms. I've already started to work with Reaper, going from Logic, in preparation for this.

Noumena wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 am On that last point: if there were no piracy I feel confident the audio software market would expand with more developers, more diversity and quality of software, lower prices overall and more money for developers. So I say bravo to that. It will be worth a transition.
Hmm, I'm not an expert at piracy. But I don't think getting rid of that necessarily means = better plugins, lower prices and more diversity. Not trying to promote it but I believe that more developers, more diversity and quality of software and all those reasons you listed come mainly from different things (Programmers availability, companies looking for and hiring innovative or well founded designers, pushing their designs out, etc.)

I can see where you're going with this and it does seems reasonable on the outside. But in reality, I feel the lack of a piracy in platform, while it does helps and is a legitimate reason, is among the smaller ones. The bigger and defining reasons being what I said.

I'll leave it just as that, as discussing these topics can and will reasonably get into epic flame wars I do not want to be part of, but I still wanted to address my opinion on it.

Anyway, @general I wonder how many users are going to update their macOS devices to Catalina right now assuming that they have a specific workflow that cannot be replicated in the latter version. Like say, the plugins they use comes from a company or two who may take ages (or perhaps never) to make it compatible to Catalina.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 am Massive X threads all over again...
Mmh... let's see... hate speech, Linux endorsements, nazi comparisons... guess you're right. :tu:

MachineClaw wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 pmBummer cause I am really looking forward to some of the new 10.15 improvements and features like Sidecar. I got phone, pad, MacBook Pro and TV.
In the meantime, maybe you'd be interested in Duet Display :tu:

https://www.duetdisplay.com

I just need to know if kore 2 will still work, it’s been a good run but I fear the worst, due to the changes.

I did have the idea of switching to Catalina, and only installing Logic Pro. Then I could just concetrate on doing all my music with nothing more than LPX. As and when 3rd-party stuff gets cleared-for-compatibility I could install it piece-by-piece.

Could be fun :tu:

MachineClaw wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 pm I got phone, pad, MacBook Pro and TV.
I will pray for you.

For the record I wasn't endorsing Linux, just correcting a bit. Though it may sometimes be interpreted as that I suppose.

Anyway, I suppose that if anyone can share more info on how this "notarization" of Apple is going to work, that would add some weight to this discussion. Overall it seems kind of like what they already do with their iOS devices.

Return to “Instruments”