Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:12 am I did have the idea of switching to Catalina, and only installing Logic Pro. Then I could just concetrate on doing all my music with nothing more than LPX. As and when 3rd-party stuff gets cleared-for-compatibility I could install it piece-by-piece.

Could be fun :tu:
That‘s an interesting and intriguing idea. :tu:
Will think about it as well...

MachineClaw wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 pm Eventide, sound toys, isotope, reason studios, just to name a few of the vendors who have recommended not upgrading to 10.15 Mac OS.

In the case of Ableton Live v9 will NOT be supported under 10.15 at all ever only Live v10 will eventually be supported under 10.15. But Ableton says hold off.

I turned off my auto updates and will hold off for a while updating to 10.15.

Bummer cause I am really looking forward to some of the new 10.15 improvements and features like Sidecar. I got phone, pad, MacBook Pro and TV.
Is there a way to have a dual boot system?
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

acid alex wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:32 am
MachineClaw wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:03 pm Eventide, sound toys, isotope, reason studios, just to name a few of the vendors who have recommended not upgrading to 10.15 Mac OS.

In the case of Ableton Live v9 will NOT be supported under 10.15 at all ever only Live v10 will eventually be supported under 10.15. But Ableton says hold off.

Bummer cause I am really looking forward to some of the new 10.15 improvements and features like Sidecar. I got phone, pad, MacBook Pro and TV.
Is there a way to have a dual boot system?
I'm currently set up to boot from Sierra, Mojave, and Yosemite. And until recently, I also booted into Windows :tu:

Calenberger wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:36 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:12 am I did have the idea of switching to Catalina, and only installing Logic Pro. Then I could just concetrate on doing all my music with nothing more than LPX. As and when 3rd-party stuff gets cleared-for-compatibility I could install it piece-by-piece.

The only issue for me doing this would be that I don't think Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource currently works, and the same goes for Sonarworks Reference (I use SS to apply system-wide eq to counter bad room issues, and I use Ref to flatten my cans).

If I can get these working it would be a good idea.

I might just create a Cat partition anyway, and install plugs as they clear, with the intention of then jumping fully on-board when it looks safe. That way, I get a fresh install (Given the fundamental changes, it might be better to go fresh than to update from Mojave).

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 am

The only issue for me doing this would be that I don't think Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource currently works, and the same goes for Sonarworks Reference (I use SS to apply system-wide eq to counter bad room issues, and I use Ref to flatten my cans).

I might just create a Cat partition anyway, and install plugs as they clear, with the intention of then jumping fully on-board when it looks safe. That way, I get a fresh install (Given the fundamental changes, it might be better to go fresh than to update from Mojave).
Such a fresh start would be tempting not only from a technical side but also from focusing on only the really relevant things and from creativity generating via restricted options.

Yes, first world problems, I know...
However, why not try it, if you can do it.

This is incorrect from reading their email...
quote>> We have some important news for Ableton Live 9 users. The recent macOS 10.15 update will prevent Ableton Live 9 from opening. The last officially supported version of macOS with Live 9 is macOS 10.13 (High Sierra).

I sometimes use Live9, not enough to justify upgrading to 10... and I still use some 32 bit VSTs and even a couple of DX's
Not a problem for me... I use win7
If I were a mac user, would be some hard decisions to make.

Calenberger wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:02 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 am

Such a fresh start would be tempting not only from a technical side but also from focusing on only the really relevant things and from creativity generating via restricted options.

Yes, first world problems, I know...
However, why not try it, if you can do it.
Well, after a quick search, it seems that both Reference 4 and SoundSource are Catalina compatible.
I had wanted to concentrate on learning Ableton for an upcoming project, and that isn’t yet compatible. So I might switch back and forth between partitions. But I definitely think I’ll start with a fresh Logic-only Catalina, and spend time with just the core application :tu:

v1o wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:38 pm We should all switch to Ubuntu
I'm LMAOing so hard right now.
No signature here!

dayjob wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:13 pm what good is sidecar if your audio software doesn't work?
So you can watch your broken software also on your ipad and iphone, obviously.
No signature here!

chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:56 am
Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 am Massive X threads all over again...
Mmh... let's see... hate speech
Didn't know criticizing Apple constitutes hate speech these days. But I'm not even slightly surprised. :hihi:
No signature here!

Ok! The plot thickens!

Seems the latest version of Ableton is Catalina compatible. They only advise to hold off updating because of third-party plugins not working. That’s the perfect scenario for me to learn Ableton, without distraction.

Looks like I’m Catalina-bound :)

Yep. I read a lot of the various FAQs on sites last night, and seems like almost everything I use is Catalina ready. There are just a couple of advisories from companies who recommend holding off as they don’t know if there will be issues. I’ll give it a few more days, update my backup, then update.

Just received a mail from Celemony providing an update of Melodyne which is then Catalina compatible.

Perhaps we should make a 'One Catalina Thread To Rule Them All!', in which we keep the first post updated to reflect the compatibility status of plugins :tu:

Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robotmonkey wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:18 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:56 am
Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:00 am Massive X threads all over again...
Mmh... let's see... hate speech
Didn't know criticizing Apple constitutes hate speech these days. But I'm not even slightly surprised. :hihi:
Well, there's criticizing... and then there's calling Apple a "shit bitch little pussy", i guess. ;)

Return to “Instruments”