Bad boi Fender Inc

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:11 pm Never tried them, but aren't Yammie Pacificas decent Fender copies?
I never tried one I liked that much. The materials are poor quality. (Yeah,.I am a snob and my fingers are spoiled).
🌐 Spotify πŸ”΅ Soundcloud πŸŒ€ Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

is the bad boi a new model?

It's a famous Ragga artist. Bad Bway Fendah.

Fender guitars are overpriced. There are better alternatives for the same price or less. Especially Japanese products.

Their Made in the US vs Made in Mexico strategy is also dubious.

vurt wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:23 pm is the bad boi a new model?
hmm.. thats actually a really interesting idea. i might change my artist name to "Bad Boi Fender". It's catchy.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

IIRC I did get a good intro price from Bax when I ordered a new Fender model half a year ago (I changed my mind in the end, and bought a Cordoba flamenco acoustic instead of that Fender Acoustasonic Tele).

I had noticed the lovely new Fender pedals line was rather uniformly priced, no deals being offered (but I put it down to their recent arrival on the market).

e-crooner wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm

you can say that again

:dog: :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:58 pm

you can say that again

:dog: :hihi:
What do you mean?

tapper mike wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:42 am In the Soo? In the freaking Soo.
Do you make pasties? Pot pies aren't the same.
Is your idea of surf and turf smelt and hot dogs?
How banged up is your SUV?
How thick is your steel roof?
Do you have a bear problem your hiding from us?
Do you use snow shoes to pick up the mail?
Heh. One has to move where the jobs are. Or where one's spouse's job takes her. I'm actually a transplanted troll and I drive a friggin' mommyvan... lol Biggest wildlife problem here is the pterodactyl flies and tourists. I was kinda expecting to have to hunt deer with my teeth and nails and to "construct mnemonic memory cells using stone knives and bear skins," as a certain Vulcan said, but it's surprisingly civilized around here.
Tele's honestly buy from sweetwater. Yeah I know that the market is trying to kill small brick and mortars. The local shops I go to these days specialized in high value used big brands and independent brands only. Smaller shops are a lifeline for smaller companies.
There is much wisdom in what you say.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

e-crooner wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm Their Made in the US vs Made in Mexico strategy is also dubious.
Well yeah, playing on America's racism. Too bad that many of the same people work on both sides of the river! Then again, people seem to agree that the hardware on the USA models is of superior quality, but that's a different matter altogether.

Jafo wrote: ↑Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 am
e-crooner wrote: ↑Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:02 pm Their Made in the US vs Made in Mexico strategy is also dubious.
Well yeah, playing on America's racism. Too bad that many of the same people work on both sides of the river! Then again, people seem to agree that the hardware on the USA models is of superior quality, but that's a different matter altogether.
really? I find it hard to believe that Fender would not secure a regular transport trunk that delivers same hardware to Mexico factory and vice versa. I always thought the US made ones are more expensive because of the labor.

Can we talk about Fender making their guitars in factories in Japan? What about China? Indonesia?

I might be wrong, but I do believe you can buy bona fide Fender Stratocasters right now today made in all of those 3 countries. I might be wrong.

Why would they do that? Could it have something to do with 'playing the field'? A Japanese Fender would be the most expensive of all, then the Chinese, then the Indonesian. So where does America and Mexico fit in to all of that again?

The provenance of guitar manufacture is purposely shadey. And doubly so when it comes to your Fenders or your Gibsons.

I suppose a custom shop signature would be made in USA and have the price tag to match. Then at the other end of the scale your Bullets would be made in Indonesia. A 3000 bucks guitar compared to a 100 bucks guitar. And then all the shades in between with China and Japan. Who knows, maybe they even have a factory in Korea knocking a few out as well. It's not like anyone knows and if they do they certainly aren't saying.

I had a Japanese 'Fender' Squier that was better (and cheaper) than what Fender were knocking out from the USA. While back now, but it all goes around in circles.

My 90's Chinese Squier is of comparable quality.

I bought a few Aria Pro II Stratocasters. Superb guitars. About a hundred bucks each. Some are better than others. All are different. All are made in different countries in fact (so it seems according to their serial numbers and the information I have for the factories in the database).

One guitar cuts a corner this way, another in another fashion. None are perfect. Different CNC'ing for body shapes and sizes. Different weights due to different woods. Different pups even though they are the very same model! Different set ups (some playable, some not). I bet they never made the same guitar twice!

So it will probably be with Fender. As long as it has that decal on the headstock then the boomers will buy in to it and so will the millenials trying to emulate them. Us gen-x'ers, well... :lol:

I have no urge at all to own a real Fender. My 'Fender' Squier is as real as it gets to me. I like the weight, the shape, the feel, the sound, the balance of a guitar. Not what's on the headstock. But I know it's important to some. And I wouldn't criticise that. It's just not important to me.

I do wonder though who the hell is buying all these Fender guitars. It's not like anyone plays anymore and it's not like anyone could afford a Fender. But that's probably just the circles I (don't) move in. Are they over-charging because sales are down and they are struggling, or are they over-charging because they are coining it in and being greedy? No idea.

Anyway, it's not just USA vs. Mexico. China and Indonesia are definitely making guitars for Fender right now (last time I looked anyway) and probably Japan as well.

Happy to be corrected and told this is not the case. I looked in to guitar provenance (both historical and modern) and there is very very little information out there, but what there is, is quite surprising. Companies licensing to competing brands who run factories in different countries who then 'ghost build' and rebadge and re-import or export out again. Something like that anyway. No one really knows.

Whatever. I'd also be interested to know what the common arguments are about USA v. Mexico when it comes to Fender manufacturing. Especially as a few of you seem to have 'ears to the ground' as well. I'm all ears too.

telecode wrote: ↑Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:52 am
Jafo wrote: ↑Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:05 am
really? I find it hard to believe that Fender would not secure a regular transport trunk that delivers same hardware to Mexico factory and vice versa. I always thought the US made ones are more expensive because of the labor.
Perhaps now (all bets are probably off), but the situation used to be that people crossed the border to work in both factories.

I'm looking into it; I may well be completely wrong.

I think I am wrong. Sorry, all.

Although as far as the Mexican/American thing goes, while working at Guitar Center in my misspent youth I heard quite a few customers dissing anything Mexican on "principle" even though the MIM guitars were perfectly fine, and clearly a better deal, although the pups and switches were different. Their "principle" was nothing principled; and like all "Made in America" nonsense, profoundly racist. (But I repeat myself.)

Return to β€œGuitars”