Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That would be a good idea, and maybe keep updating the first post so that there’s a running list of plugins that are known to work without issues?

Hopefully non-Mac users will show more respect than they have in this thread and not use a new one to give us more of their monosyllabic rants.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm Apple sucks. Apple always has sucked. Apple always WILL suck.

Windows user since DOS 3.0

Apple can burn in hell along with Camel Audio for all I care.
Thanks for your constructive discussion participation.
It opened my blind eyes.
This statement changes everything for me.
I might say: It's a real game changer!
:tu:

acid alex wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:11 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:40 pm
acid alex wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:57 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:04 pm Perhaps we should make a 'One Catalina Thread To Rule Them All!', in which we keep the first post updated to reflect the compatibility status of plugins :tu:

That’s not a bad idea. I’ll update the title and thread when I get home tonight
If you want to, that's great. But I have a lot of free time at the moment, so if you'd rather not have to keep updating it, then I could just start a new thread :tu:
Yes sure, if you have time :-)
Here we are:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=532955

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf9DYeePLJY

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm That would be a good idea, and maybe keep updating the first post so that there’s a running list of plugins that are known to work without issues?
Sweetwater seems to do a good job of this.

Catalina: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... lity-list/

Mojave: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... atibility/

i updated to catalina on the 7th, and so far, everything works (am in logic X); 95% of my plugins are 3rd-party, all they... work. am (so far) impressed...

Which plugins? el-bo started a thread to track software that works:

This makes me think I might try the upgrade tonight...

fisherKing wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:40 pm i updated to catalina on the 7th, and so far, everything works (am in logic X); 95% of my plugins are 3rd-party, all they... work. am (so far) impressed...
I wonder if this is because Apple have given developers a little bit of breathing space (Until Jan 2020, I believe). It may be the case, that the plugins will need an update between now and then :shrug:

plexuss wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:56 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm That would be a good idea, and maybe keep updating the first post so that there’s a running list of plugins that are known to work without issues?
Sweetwater seems to do a good job of this.

Catalina: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... lity-list/

Mojave: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... atibility/

Ok, that's interesting! There are some things missing from their Cat list, but it'll save us a lot of work.

Cheers, P :tu:

Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm Which plugins? el-bo started a thread to track software that works:

With Plexus sharing those links, that thread need to be changed. The Sweetwater lists aren't complete, so it'll still probably be worth updating. Will look at it again, on the morrow :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:49 pm
fisherKing wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:40 pm i updated to catalina on the 7th, and so far, everything works (am in logic X); 95% of my plugins are 3rd-party, all they... work. am (so far) impressed...
I wonder if this is because Apple have given developers a little bit of breathing space (Until Jan 2020, I believe). It may be the case, that the plugins will need an update between now and then :shrug:
Possibly, but I don’t know that I really expected that many problems anyway. I think there’s been a hefty dose of wanting to see Apple fail driving a lot of the upgrade horror stories.

Just to refer you to this comment on the compatibility thread.

viewtopic.php?p=7540868#p7540868

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm Which plugins? el-bo started a thread to track software that works:

With Plexus sharing those links, that thread need to be changed. The Sweetwater lists aren't complete, so it'll still probably be worth updating. Will look at it again, on the morrow :tu:
They update them over time. So there may be a delay between what you know and what they know and them getting around to posting it. You could interface with them and send them the info you have as you get it. I am pretty sure they are relying partly on people's feedback to them.

plexuss wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:00 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:52 pm

They update them over time. So there may be a delay between what you know and what they know and them getting around to posting it. You could interface with them and send them the info you have as you get it. I am pretty sure they are relying partly on people's feedback to them.
Yeah! Will probably email them tomorrow to share some of the missing info. Cheers!

plexuss wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:04 am
Noumena wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 am Anyone who plans to do a major version OS update within 6 months of release is obviously not doing work on that computer, audio or otherwise. [snip]So I say bravo to that. It will be worth a transition.
Agreed about the software mostly. I think they can do a better job of not breaking things and making everyone else pay (in time = money). The biggest issue for me is the need to run on newer apple hardware, which in my opinion, is no longer worth the money they are commanding. With so many design failures and inabilty to keep up with the market let alone either gouging further or taking a lot of stuff away, they just don't hit any optimial balance. For me I am afraid it will be a move to windoze. I'll say on high sierra as long as I can and then either get a Metal graphics card for my mac to move up to Mojave, maybe Catalina if its supported (I haven't checked). but after that, unless they put out a machine that make sense for the money, I'm switching platforms. I've already started to work with Reaper, going from Logic, in preparation for this.
The new Mac Minis are as reasonably priced for their performance as anything apples ever put out, I think. The $800 model out performs a 2018 15” MBP. I agree about the issues though, but I attempted to switch in 2017 and ended up spending $1600 to find that I couldn’t get reasonably low latency with my audio interfaces on that hardware with Windows and finally gave up, paid the Apple tax and was happy to do so. It is a real dilemma though... I do wish there was a revolutionary shift to Linux!

Someone here mentioned "crappy CoreAudio" issues with Macs. I have to ask: what issues specifically? This is one area that I have only ever heard people praise Apple for, specially compared to the cluster-fsck that is ASIO on Windows or (insert your audio API here) in Linux. In my experience, thanks to CoreAudio, low-latency audio that just works is pretty much a given on Mac. I have used a lot of different audio interfaces on Mac over the years (various Focusrite Sapphire and Scarlett models, Presonus firewire, various external DACs) and never had to so much as install a driver.

Return to “Instruments”