Can a £7.96 convolution reverb be any good......

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

These days we are spoiled for choice in the category of great usable reverbs. So, can you get a reverb cheap? Yeah, I personally have paid $10 for a great freaking reverb. And huge discounts on others. I don't even want to say because it devalues the brands and the conversation.

Why would you want a more expensive reverb? Sound quality but also control. Not convolution but as a simple example: with Nimbus there's like 7 million presets, and you can duck the tails with 2 knobs to control the ducking, and you can add modulated saturation, all from the same screen. Usually a cheap reverb is not going to have that level of control, and presets, and the quality is not going to have quite the same attention to detail.

Also regarding your link, I can tell you without even having heard that reverb and with absolutely no fear of being mistaken, that first reverb is nowhere near in the ballpark of competing with a Bricasti M7.
Last edited by jochicago on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The latter does more than basic convolution (i.e modulation over time). The price of a convolution reverb is highly mostly to the IR-library itself, and o a smaller degree other features of the software (usability, performance, functionality etc)

The Liquid Sonics verbs use something called Fusion IR which allows the IR impulses to be animated which is what allows it to emulate the modulation of the tails. Based on every review I have read it is amazingly close to a Briscati M7 ( don't own the hardware) . They have a cheaper version $69 with fewer on screen controls and fewer Briscati algorithms. I use that one wherever I need a smooth reverb with some nicely exposed tails. I couldn't justify the cost of its bigger brother given the number of reverbs that I have here.

Simply, yes. It's how you use it, not the price tag.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

For a start, it's a $40 plugin that's on special but the thing with a convolution reverb is that they should all work pretty much the same way. As someone else pointed out, it's the IR library that will determine how useful it is and this one seems to come with a decent enough library. That said, it's kind of weird that there are lots of images but no audio samples.

My advice is to download the trial version and check it out for yourself.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Why pay £7.96 when Convology XT is free?
Image Image Image Image

As per the copy on the EchoThief product page says:
What sets this plugin apart is its use of the EchoThief impulse response library.
Which you can grab for free here: http://www.echothief.com/

And yes, it's good, but I end up massaging them a lot. I load those IRs in everything from ReaVerb (comes free with Reaper) to Liquidsonics Reaverbate (same developer that makes Seventh Heaven) depending on the workflow and technical abilities I'm looking for to reshape them.

Seventh Heaven isn't just a convolution reverb, it's an emulation of specific hardware reverb and its intricacies. I use that in addition to every other convolution library and plugin, nevermind the algorithmic ones. There's no overlap here, they're not trying to compete against each other, so why try to invent one?

If you're trying to save money then grab one of the many free convolution reverbs (if your DAW for whatever reason lacks one) and free IRs out there. You can make wonderful music with anything. The rest is specific desires and convenience.

I really hate to do any VST company down. But I will just say this. This is the only company I have ever, and I mean 'ever', asked for a refund after purchase from. I bought the plugins from plugin boutique and they refunded me. So kudos to them. It wasn't much, about 20 odd quid or so, but still. Thanks Pluginboutique!

The installers were messed. The information on the website was missing. The plugins would not install. They installed then they would not work. I could not uninstall them. Possibly the worst experience I have ever had with a VST builder. I would never dream of using them again.

Oh, and the plugins were really really bad. All in my humble opinion.

I was ready to go to war if I did not get my money back. Never again.

You have been warned. This is why I would never buy this plugin even if you paid me!

=====

If you want a super nifty top of the range convolution then get Fog Convolver - https://www.audiothing.net/effects/fog-convolver/

It's 60 quid but worth it. I got it on a sale for a bit less. Just get it. It's superb!

If you got no cash get Convology XT - https://impulserecord.com/convology-xt/

Great interface. 0 latency. Free!

----

To compare anything this company does to Liquidsonics is a travesty. Liquidsonics make some of the best VSTs on the planet. This other company, well, probably the worst I've ever encountered, sorry.

codec_spurt wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 amI was ready to go to war if I did not get my money back. Never again.
I think this is why demo's exist :shrug:

Convolution is a very basic signal process and it should not be difficult to apply it correctly. "No-frills" convolution results should be pretty identical regardless of implementation (in practice there may be some resampling involved which involves more decisions). But most of these plugins provide further tools to manipulate the process, and those will differ more.

imrae wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am Convolution is a very basic signal process and it should not be difficult to apply it correctly. "No-frills" convolution results should be pretty identical regardless of implementation (in practice there may be some resampling involved which involves more decisions). But most of these plugins provide further tools to manipulate the process, and those will differ more.
Is that your experience? The convolvers I've tried all sound different, some actually pretty bad. I dislike that one that comes with S1.

I checked the first on out, and it sounds horrible.
I prefere Epicverb. Its 32 bit but............sounds realy cool.
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/epicve ... nd/reviews

And its free.
I have the liquide sonic reverb and never got a nice sounding reverb out of it.
This on: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/epicve ... nd/reviews
But I my be to stupide for it so....:)

I'm afraid that, if you have to ask this, any answer in the world won't be feasible for "enlightenment" either.

My opinion: I never have come across a free or low cost reverb which can compete with the likes of Eventide, Exponential Audio, 2CAudio, or Lexicon reverbs. Different league really. Unless that reverb is on a sale, i'm sure it'll be worse.

BONES wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:24 pm For a start, it's a $40 plugin that's on special but the thing with a convolution reverb is that they should all work pretty much the same way. As someone else pointed out, it's the IR library that will determine how useful it is and this one seems to come with a decent enough library. That said, it's kind of weird that there are lots of images but no audio samples.

My advice is to download the trial version and check it out for yourself.
I agree, the actual convolution reverb tech is pretty well understood and not something special that necessarily justifies a huge price tag. Many DAWs even come with their own Convo reverb built-in that will accept third party IR's, so you're probably better off finding a good IR library. However if the plugin already comes with a good amount of IR's it might be worth the price to get them.

Return to “Effects”