IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
jamcat
KVRer
14 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Katzenberserker wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:01 pm
If you're right, shouldn't different play styles (fast rolls vs. single hits for instance) excite the drum in different ways then? Hitting an already vibrating head, would sound differnt than one which is not moving, right?
Yes. The vibrations are kinetic energy already in the system, and additional impacts would add to it. Most of that energy is extremely transient, though, so it might not have as big an impact as you may think. I can't tell if the model takes that into consideration. That would be a question for Peter. I'm still waiting on answers to my questions.

A fully complete model would actually take into account how the phase of the transverse waves traveling through the membrane interfere with the next hit constructively or destructively, depending on the time and location of the hit. The maths are easy, but it would take a lot of computational power to model continuously, and probably wouldn't make much of a difference in the end.

simon.a.billington
KVRAF
1710 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 am

jamcat wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:53 pm
Katzenberserker wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:01 pm
If you're right, shouldn't different play styles (fast rolls vs. single hits for instance) excite the drum in different ways then? Hitting an already vibrating head, would sound differnt than one which is not moving, right?
Yes. The vibrations are kinetic energy already in the system, and additional impacts would add to it. Most of that energy is extremely transient, though, so it might not have as big an impact as you may think. I can't tell if the model takes that into consideration. That would be a question for Peter. I'm still waiting on answers to my questions.

A fully complete model would actually take into account how the phase of the transverse waves traveling through the membrane interfere with the next hit constructively or destructively, depending on the time and location of the hit. The maths are easy, but it would take a lot of computational power to model continuously, and probably wouldn't make much of a difference in the end.
Mind you, this is not just a drum thing of course. It’s the same for any vibrating body. It’s effect might be more noticeable on longer decaying mediums though, like piano or guitar strings.

Still the art of production and mixing is as much about the art of illusion as it is it’s creative and technical aspects. With all the added processing done to productions, along with drum replacement, we’d be hard pressed to notice these differences. Not in a full mix anyway.

In minimal production it may be more noticeable, that’s where attention to these type of details will prove worthwhile.

jamcat
KVRer
14 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:04 pm

https://youtu.be/w8kMBeDBTtU

Note, the video doesn't actually show what happens with a subsequent hit, unfortunately. They reverse the video at the 18 second mark.

Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6668 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:40 am

Thanks again for suggestions and comments.

This video uses some snare hit positions and such, and the song starts around the 0:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ipe_1p ... 0&index=12
NEW: AmpliTube Brian May
Follow IK on Facebook for flash giveaways, exclusives, and more.
What you got just ain't interesting (or true).

Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6668 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Post Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:43 am

NEW: AmpliTube Brian May
Follow IK on Facebook for flash giveaways, exclusives, and more.
What you got just ain't interesting (or true).

jdtay2
KVRer
20 posts since 24 May, 2017

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 am

I bought MODO DRUM and while I do enjoy using it, I find that it is very quiet. For example, I have to add a compressor with a lot of make-up gain to achieve suitable levels. Is anybody else experiencing this too?

Ryan_IK
KVRist
90 posts since 11 Feb, 2015 from Sunrise, FL

Post Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:08 am

jdtay2 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 am
I bought MODO DRUM and while I do enjoy using it, I find that it is very quiet. For example, I have to add a compressor with a lot of make-up gain to achieve suitable levels. Is anybody else experiencing this too?
Check your Mixer page, there are a bunch of settings that could affect MODO DRUM's output there. Also, each Element will have in-depth settings. Go to Customize -> Edit Element to see these settings. On top of these, there is a Master Volume (Lower right hand corner) and Master Velocity (Bottom left hand corner). Try adjusting each of the available controls and if you need any further assistance, check with the support team here.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Check out the new UNO Synth Tutorial Series here!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Return to “Instruments”