Catalina and plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 am
samsam wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:05 am Cool story bro.

So, how are the Mac users getting on? Not taking the plunge myself right now as no current interest in updating but useful thread nonetheless, our kid has just got a new Mac so I need to know on behalf of her.
Not quite there yet, myself. I've downloaded the installer, but I just need to back up some user-data from my Sierrs partition, then I'll wipe and replace that with Catalina :tu:
Do it! :evil:

samsam wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 am

So, how are the Mac users getting on? Not taking the plunge myself right now as no current interest in updating but useful thread nonetheless, our kid has just got a new Mac so I need to know on behalf of her.
Not quite there yet, myself. I've downloaded the installer, but I just need to back up some user-data from my Sierrs partition, then I'll wipe and replace that with Catalina :tu:
Do it! :evil:
I'm gonna! But i've made that mistake before - Lost a ton of great home-rolled Logic channel-strips when erasing a previous OS. Not gonna make that mistake again.

Will probably be up 'n' running with Catalina at some point tomorrow. I wouldn't get too excited though as I only intend to install Ableton Live Lite (Maybe Logic, also), and will install 3rd-party stuff, bit-by-bit, and only when it's been 100% cleared :shrug:

Anybody who does not have a timemachine backup is asking for trouble. With it, you can always roll back. Best is probably to have a separate drive or partition to test it out. For me that can wait some years...

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:53 am Anybody who does not have a timemachine backup is asking for trouble. With it, you can always roll back. Best is probably to have a separate drive or partition to test it out. For me that can wait some years...
Never once used TimeMachine, but I don't think I'm asking for any trouble. I have a cloned partition backed up in the cloud via BackBlaze, and local cloned backups via SuperDuper (Been using successfully for over a decade :shrug:) I'm also currently running bootable Yosemite, Sierra, and Mojave partitions, and have more drives (Also have the OS installers), with which to test any OS I want. I will just be replacing my SSD's Sierra's partition with Catalina. I still have Mojave on the SSD, which is working fine, and I may just clone Sierra anyway.

While I might be over-protecting myself, it allows me to switch things up very easily. Your over-protectiveness, on the other hand, stops you from being able to experiment (I've seen you urge caution in other threads to the extent of waiting years before upgrading).

OSX makes it so easy to backup, clone, and play around with new installs. You can create and dynamically adjust the size of partitions on-the-fly, so as long as you are backed-up I don't see any problem in creating a small partition, installing a newer OS, and then increasing it's size as you test and install more plugins. Eventually you just end up with a working system, and without having to wait 5 years just-in-case :tu:

My biggest problem right now is that red dot on my system preference icon. It is disturbing.

FotoxBr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:10 am My biggest problem right now is that red dot on my system preference icon. It is disturbing.
Disable all automatic updates in System Preferences > Software Update and type in terminal:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0

killall Dock

discoDSP wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:29 am
FotoxBr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:10 am My biggest problem right now is that red dot on my system preference icon. It is disturbing.
Disable all automatic updates in System Preferences > Software Update and type in terminal:

killall Dock
Thank you. My life will be fine now.

killall Dock
Maybe explain the ramifications of just entering random code into the terminal. At least explain what your code is doing, what issues may arise, and then provide the code to reverse the process :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:36 am

killall Dock
Maybe explain the ramifications of just entering random code into the terminal. At least explain what your code is doing, what issues may arise, and then provide the code to reverse the process :tu:
What harm could "kill all" do ?

FotoxBr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:36 am

killall Dock
What harm could "kill all" do ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:17 am All open source and free software programmers who cannot afford the 99$/€ yearly subscription fee to Apple are locked out... That is more of a loss than not being able to run 32-bit apps... Apple considers those probably being terrorists anyway...
Who can afford Mac computers, and not afford $99/year for developing software though?

Apart from that, everyone is free to come to Windows, and not pay anything for developing software anyway. :P

But they also, just like that, pulled a major blow against software piracy on their platform.

(pity we can't post links to the heartbreaking stories of warez users who shed tears over trying their cracked hosts and plug-ins on Catalina. I was in tears, too.)
Unfortunately for developers, that will be rather easy to work around for users who choose to do so.

The whole signing / notarisation process is currently only enforced for binaries on which the "quarantine bit" is set. (So that, for example, locally compiled code is exempt -- whereas anything downloaded from the web is quarantined and subject to checks). It's trivial, for now, for pirates to clear the quarantine bit and bypass the checks. Or they can disable System Integrity Protection, which carries various additional risks, but if they were pirating in the first place...

Generally the major problems updating to Catalina will come, not from migrating an existing system with everything installed, but when you try to install something new. A lot of existing installers will be blocked, either because they use 32-bit installer engines (even to install 64-bit software, this is pretty common), or because they don't comply with the notarization requirements.

(In the latter case, again you can work around -- for now -- by clearing the quarantine bit. I suspect they will close that loophole before too long though).
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

killall Dock
Let me go try this.
The red dot was driving me bunkers.
thanks
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Everything went smoothly upgrading a 2018 MacBook Pro, and the only things that don’t work are the standalone Korg Legacy Collection standalones, which I knew in advance are 32-bit.

samsam wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:09 am
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm Apple sucks. Apple always has sucked. Apple always WILL suck.

Windows user since DOS 3.0

Apple can burn in hell along with Camel Audio for all I care.
This.
How many apple users spam pc threads on kvr? Not many I'd wager but if they do, these saddos should be publicly ridiculed just as much as you two.

Mods : My post is on topic, I use mac and would prefer not to stumble across such man-childs in my threads but hey, no biggie.

(I use both Mac and Win, is that necessary to state?)
I dont know and i dont care to know. I just hate Apple.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”